please help! correct dosage for snuffles??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbun2000

Reaction score
Hi, my bunny is a male Flemish giant. He is about 2 months old. I saw him sneezing one morning and white mucus came out of his nose.. this only occurred once but he kept sneezing/coughing. I carried him to the vet and he was diagnosed with snuffles. He was prescribed with sulfatrim and he had to take 7 ml of this 2 times daily.. 12 hours apart. My rabbit weighs 3.1 kg and I was wondering if this is the correct dosage of this medicine for him. I’m a bit worried because I think that it’s a little too much for him. Please help!🥺

@JBun is our health moderator and she would be able to help.

In the meantime, can you doublecheck your RX and see if it is actually .7ml ? (7/10ths, not 7)

Did they also suggest Baytril?

It’s 7 ml.. the veteran marked exactly how much on the syringe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 7
@JBun is our health moderator and she would be able to help.

In the meantime, can you doublecheck your RX and see if it is actually .7ml ? (7/10ths, not 7)

Did they also suggest Baytril?
They did not suggest baytril.. he was given an injection and I was only given the sulfatrim. On the syringe the veterinarian marked 7 ml

Usual dosage is 30-40mg/kg twice a day. How much to give depends on the drug concentration (mg per ml) in the liquid. If you have the 200mg per 5ml suspension, 0.7ml for a 3kg rabbit isn't enough. A 3kg rabbit should be getting 90-120mg, which would be 2.2-3ml of the 200mg/5ml suspension, twice a day. If the suspension you have is more concentrated with more mg per ml, then what you are giving could be right. It all depends on the drug concentration.

Medirabbit: antibiotic drug dosage info

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Usual dosage is 30-40mg/kg twice a day. How much to give depends on the drug concentration (mg per ml) in the liquid. If you have the 200mg per 5ml suspension, 0.7ml for a 3kg rabbit isn't enough. A 3kg rabbit should be getting 90-120mg, which would be 2.2-3ml of the 200mg/5ml suspension, twice a day. If the suspension you have is more concentrated with more mg per ml, then what you are giving could be right. It all depends on the drug concentration.

Medirabbit: antibiotic drug dosage info

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
This is the drug information

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back