Please can you identify my bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is on the shelf under the table! His new fave place. I put that in for scale! I gaffer taped some furry cuffs of my (too high) boots to make the spot more comfy for him. He leaps happily under there to chill.

He is just a pet to me, but if anyone can tell me his ‘official’ type. I could read up on him. I say him, as he is only 10 weeks old we don’t really know if he is a him.
Many Thanks for any help in anticipation.

He is just a pet to me, but if anyone can tell me his ‘official’ type. I could read up on him. I say him, as he is only 10 weeks old we don’t really know if he is a him.
Many Thanks for any help in anticipation.
dear bluebellsmum,-I disagree,-the pictures tell it all!!- Holland lop....{who knows I could be correct.!!}-sincerely james waller -for joseph r cottontail/bdenium rip

Oh thank you so much James! Bless you! I can tell you a bit more now. He is 600grammes at 11 weeks old and is twice the size he was when l bought him 3 weeks ago. He was in a litter of 3 and l would say he was a third to half the size of the other two siblings.
He eats tons of hay ‘1 wk +’ pellets (Burgess with mint) drinks lots of water and hops about as if he is happy and healthy although the undersized thing has worried me even though he seems happy enough. I have a couple of pictures of his siblings here. My only reservation about doing that, was some folk say breeders might chuck an undersized one in with older ones and pretend they were all the same litter. He is affectionate and quite chilled out (he doesn’t seem to be nervy, but l understand as a bunny he should be!). Do they all look like Holland Lops?
Sorry James, which bit did you say you disagreed with? I didn’t quite get that!
Kind Regards and Thanks,
Bluebell’s Mum.

Attachments

• F7921ACF-36DB-44E3-8694-6B89088855D9.jpeg
    F7921ACF-36DB-44E3-8694-6B89088855D9.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 02B2CC9A-E6DE-4936-B0B8-DEAB06BCD3FD.jpeg
    02B2CC9A-E6DE-4936-B0B8-DEAB06BCD3FD.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 25
  • C1F23176-FD32-44AC-AF4C-9C4CB1AE3D87.jpeg
    C1F23176-FD32-44AC-AF4C-9C4CB1AE3D87.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 7B2C395E-DE0E-47DB-A929-043D7BCC4793.jpeg
    7B2C395E-DE0E-47DB-A929-043D7BCC4793.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 22
He doesn’t really have the ears of a Holland Lop... more like a mini lop. Unless my calculation is wrong, 600 grams is only 1 lb 5 oz. which is too small for a mini. He’s most likely mixed with something else

In the UK you have different breed names than here in the US. A holland lop here is a miniature(or mini) lop there in the UK. A mini lop here is a dwarf lop there. I agree with majorv that your bun looks more to be a dwarf lop(US mini lop) than a mini lop(US holland lop), or a dwarf lop mix.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/mini-lop-us-dwarf-lop-uk.77878/

He was probably just the runt of the litter, which is a fairly common occurrence.

Aw thank you. Yes l did think runt, myself as the breeder was reputable and insisted they were the same litter. I am happy l doubled his size in (two weeks with only tons of hay water and 1 wk plus pellets). His size worried me a bit, because he was possibly a third the size of his siblings. He is happy and lively and no l am happy l can’t feel his bones on his spine jutting out sharply any more. He is happy enough.
A couple of Netherland Dwarf breeders told me they thought he was a lion head which totally confused as he has no mane, me but his fur is so so soft and can be pushed this way and that, whereas l would describe his siblings fur as dense.
Can you tell me please, as a runt does he still have the same life chances or does that affect his ability to live a long happy life.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I love him and l want him to have the best life chances.
I might add (in case you are interested) l didn’t choose him for his size. I chose him because l tapped on the glass surrounding the cage (which we are know we are not supposed to do!!) and the two big ones shot to the back of the pen and he just gazed at me and this length of hay he was nibbling was getting shorter and shorter as he watched me. It was as if to say, what? Why did you do that?! Of course immediately all my mum die hormones came in at that point! I thought oh no! You should have run! You are prey. You need to come home with me then l can look out for you! You can’t be out on your own!
So there is the story. Any help is really valuable to me. I realise he is still tiny but l expected him to take time to grow on even if he never achieves the weight of his siblings.
Many, many thanks.
Bluebell’s Mum

He doesn’t really have the ears of a Holland Lop... more like a mini lop. Unless my calculation is wrong, 600 grams is only 1 lb 5 oz. which is too small for a mini. He’s most likely mixed with something else
Hiya Marjory,
Thank you for your input. Yup he was tiny, even at 8 weeks. I put his pellets in a saucer and he climbed in the saucer and had room all around! His ears were sticky up at 8 weeks but had lopped (1 at a time) by weeks 9 and 10. They do look enormous to me compared to the size of his little head but l am thinking he might grow into them! So now l am thinking along the lines of dwarf lop.
He is a sweetie anyway and very friendly and not scared of anything much it seems. He lives indoors with the Shih Tzu and the canary and myself and he is unshaded by them as they are by him.
Many thank you’s for replying.
Most appreciated. I am thinking now l might need to wait until he is 6 months old to have a better idea?
Kind Regards,
Bluebell’s Mum

So sorry Marjorv and unphased!! Blasted predictive text. If l knew how to switch it off l would and it really is never what l wanted to say!
B.M.

dear bluebellsmum,
Oh thank you so much James! Bless you! I can tell you a bit more now. He is 600grammes at 11 weeks old and is twice the size he was when l bought him 3 weeks ago. He was in a litter of 3 and l would say he was a third to half the size of the other two siblings.
He eats tons of hay ‘1 wk +’ pellets (Burgess with mint) drinks lots of water and hops about as if he is happy and healthy although the undersized thing has worried me even though he seems happy enough. I have a couple of pictures of his siblings here. My only reservation about doing that, was some folk say breeders might chuck an undersized one in with older ones and pretend they were all the same litter. He is affectionate and quite chilled out (he doesn’t seem to be nervy, but l understand as a bunny he should be!). Do they all look like Holland Lops?
Sorry James, which bit did you say you disagreed with? I didn’t quite get that!
Kind Regards and Thanks,
Bluebell’s Mum.
dear bluebellsmum,--I was merely commenting on the just a pet,,
[no-way],-look at all the goodies around him,and the attention,--
-as long as he is eating well,pooping proper,shouldnot be a problem,i think he is gorgeous,-sincerely james waller

First he is gorgeous. I have had 2 Holland lops and 3 mini lops. They have flatter faces. Your lop has a longer face and I have had one of those too. I just called her a lop because she was longer than my mini and Holland. He has some extra long French lop eats but I doubt he is that.
Holland lops are a little smaller, 4 to 5 pounds.mini lops 6 pounds. They looks exactly alike face wise.
Confusing huh.

He doesn't really have the head of a lop in my opinion, but i am not an expert. He looks like a mix to me definitely has some lop though.

Very cute!

Be careful of those electrical cords under the table. Most rabbits consider them quite the nibbling temptation. Don't want any electrocutions (or damaged devices). - never know when a rabbit will decide to test them out.

Latest posts

Back