Play area expanded

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Horatio has been doing fantastically. When we first got him (over a month ago now I think), he had a corner of the study to play in while I supervised full time for about 30 minutes at a time. Then that upgraded to an hour at a time. Then after a few weeks, he upgraded to having half the study to play in whilst being supervised a bit less so I could go and do other things. His toilet training is very good now (almost always wees and poops in his trays outside his cage), so I have finally upgraded him to the whole study today. He seems to love it! He has been obsessed with escaping the study and exploring the rest of the apartment (which I have let him do supervised a few times), so I thought that expanding his play area might be nice for him.

I'm just wondering though if this may not be the best thing for a 3 month old bunny. He is chinning a few things today and I just worry that more area can mean more aggression. Our other bunny Napoleon who lives with my mum now being 'rehabilitated' as we call it, was VERY aggressive and still is. He lived in this study free range while I was home because we couldn't control him. His scent is probably still around on things I can't really clean like folders and bags under the desks etc. so I was wondering if that cold set off more hormones with Horatio and make him become aggressive? He is the sweetest most loving animal I have ever met, and I just want to do things right by him and not have him turn into a little monster like Napoleon. That would just break my heart :(

At the moment though he is running around doing lots of binkies. He seems happy... for now...

T

If he hasn't started showing aggression I wouldn't worry. If he has, he might be trying to get rid of Napoleon's scent and make it his territory. If this is the case, once Napoleon's scent is gone he should be fine.

Sounds like he's doing OK. Just remember at 3 months, he's getting close to the 4 month period when hormones really kick in. But it's a bunny's manner to be inquisitive about other areas. He's chinning because he's become a male. Once you get him neutered, it won't be too much of a problem. And with you there, during his exploring, I think he feels safe.

You have been doing a really good job expanding his area slowly. He's going to change because of hormones, but not necessarily aggressive. More bold and more confident. But that's because you are there.

I think it's a good idea as long as you are there. He's doing fine. Glad to hear about the litter box training going so well. He sounds like he's enjoying life with you.

K:)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Well I decided to put him back to half the study. He was doing really well with the whole study but I found it harder to make sure he was always going in his trays because there was more room for him to go and I couldn't always see him. With half the study I can sit and watch him no matter where he is and keep an eye on naughty chewing (he isn't much of a chew at all thank goodness but does enjoy his towel sometimes!), and making sure hes going in his tray). He does have a lot of room with just half the study, and this way his toilet training can get really good and when he is neutered he can have the entire study all to himself :) (or perhaps even sooner depending on how he goes in the next month).

So far there have been no signs of any aggression coming on. He is much more adventurous and active, but he will always come and do a big flop next to me for some rubs and now enjoys being layed on his back in my arms while he sleeps! He also fell asleep in my lap today leaning up on my chest like a little puppy. It was so sweet. He is also getting bigger by the day. I really don't know how he can eat some much for such a tiny little bunny! His toilet training is also near perfect too. Just still working on those poops.

He really is perfect for us. I can't wait to have him following us around the apartment! He has adventured out a few times and seemed fine, but I didn't want to let him out too long incase of accidents and getting a bit scared. I think I will just slowly increase that time too as I increase his play area more. For now he seems very happy in his big space with about 100 toys and boxes to play in. I wish I was a bunny!

Latest posts

Back