Planting a garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Regarding planting veggies or grass in thebunnies' run, what do you think? I'd love to be able to planta large area of grasses and veggies outside and move the run around sothe buns will have access to the gardens. Is this a badidea? Would they eat too much and make themselvessick? Are rabbits smart enough to know when tostop?

Thanks! Hugs! Krick

Well my bunnies spend their run time in mywalled in garden and driveway. They don't really eat a lot of grasseven if they spend the whole day there. If you feed them before theyare let out they don't really bother much with the grass. I'm not sureabout veggies though. I think veggies are tastier to them and theymight eat more.

my bunnies are on grass constantly and they knowwhen to stop - it actually loses its attraction after a while andsometimes they let it grow long. You would probably just endup with a mud patch if you put their run on the garden as they wouldeat the little shoots that grew before they had grown into properveggies or plants so nothing would have a chance to grow

ok i never get this why do people say rabbitsshouldnt eat lots of grass and stuff when wild rabbits do its likenatural food? i know things we grow and spray are bad but grass cloverand stuff is good right?

Dreamer wrote:
ok i never get this why do people say rabbits shouldnt eatlots of grass and stuff when wild rabbits do its like natural food? iknow things we grow and spray are bad but grass clover and stuff isgood right?
most public lawns and even your private one aresprayed with pesticides, week killers and fertilizer.. so itis toxic..

I've never had a problem with grass but I wouldnot suggest any veggies. I know that2 of mybunnieswould eat all of it and not stop and could end upsick. It's possible that could happen. Grass should be ok because it'snot really rich. My bunnies get all the grass they want all summer andspring/fall if weather permits.

It's up to you but I would highly suggest just feeding a limited amountof veggies once a day. On top of that, they may stop eating pellets/hayif they have access to that. They may get picky and only want veggies.It's happened to me!

EDIT: In response to FreddysMom's post, grass is only safe that's notsprayed or fertilized! My dad does not get any where near the runs withand kind of chemical so that the grass is safe for them. NEVER feedgrass that may have chemicals on it!

everyone has ideas bout what is bad i boughtalfalpha blocks and rabbit crumble from pet store and someone said notto feed any of it so i feed her grass and pellet so some say no grassand no fruit. she has to eat and just pellets is mean isnt it?

Latest posts

Back