Planning to bond bun in future... help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't have much experience bonding buns as our buns were already bonded, but unfortunately one of them passed away and now our female is alone, we are planning to adopt a male bun in the next few months and have our eyes on a few options, but I'm not sure if our bun will get territorial. From what I've seen and read buns need to bond in a neutral territory, like in a hallway or another room neither have been to, and after they are almost 'fully bonded' you start to give them more and more space in the neutral territory and let them stay together, eventually we are going to have to move them back into the bunny room, but since our female Bambi has lived there already won't she get territorial? Does this mean I have to keep her out of that room until she establishes a relationship with the male? Right now she isn't living in there, her partner had a health issue that was contagious and our vet suggested we keep her elsewhere and fully disinfect the room, so she has been living in a pen in another room for 3 weeks. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!! <3

Hi, how old is your Bambi and how long is she with you? If she will stay somewhere else for a few weeks and you disinfect and rearrange your bunny room remove old scent with white vinegar from everything it may help. Is she spayed? When her partner passed away?

she was meant to get spayed last month but all of our local vets are only doing emergency consultations and surgeries so they suggested we call every week to check for any changes, Bambi is now 9 months old and her partner was neutered whilst they were together, the only reason that she wasn't spayed earlier is that the vets strongly recommend them being around 8 months of age before surgery because then the success rate is higher, thanks for your response it's very much appreciated!

If you are going to spay her before introducing to her new partner it takes time you will have to wait at least one month after surgery so if she is out of your bunny room for that period she will completely forget it and it will be like new territory for her, also as I mentioned you will disinfect and can rearrange it and remove smells with white vinegar, maybe change or clean thoroughly your carpet or what you have there, it's hard to say without seeing your bunny room but one month is a plenty of time for her to forget it. As you said you will do all bonding somewhere else and you can prepare your bunny room even put new blankets on the floor or something. Good luck and keep us updated! Hopefully vets will open soon.

If you are planning to adopt another rabbit maybe look at your local rescues their rabbits are often already neutered (make sure 2+ months ago)

If you are going to spay her before introducing to her new partner it takes time you will have to wait at least one month after surgery so if she is out of your bunny room for that period she will completely forget it and it will be like new territory for her, also as I mentioned you will disinfect and can rearrange it and remove smells with white vinegar, maybe change or clean thoroughly your carpet or what you have there, it's hard to say without seeing your bunny room but one month is a plenty of time for her to forget it. As you said you will do all bonding somewhere else and you can prepare your bunny room even put new blankets on the floor or something. Good luck and keep us updated! Hopefully vets will open soon.

thank you so much for your help <3

Latest posts

Back