Pipp's Warren pre-2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! :D George sounds like a pretty awesome guy!

Poor Howard :(. I know, we got about a foot and a half of snow where Iam and it's so cold! I couldn't imagine being homeless :(.

Keep us updated! :)

That is a great story! What a unique and unusal experience. And it sounds like he has made a friend.

At college, there was a homeless man that we called "grasshopper" or"greenman" because all his clothes and his bicylcle weregreen. He had pet squirrel that rode around on hisshoulder. I once say him kiss it on the mouth. Itwas quite tame.

Oh, Sas, you have such a big heart.You are the most loving and generous person, but PLEASE, PLEASE becareful with this.

Do you know George's story? How did he become homeless? Does he have a drug or alcohol problem?

I really don't want to bring you down, but you have to think of your own safety.

Street people can't always transition back to a "normal" life.

I wish you all the best. It's a wonderful thing you're trying to do, but please be careful.

Awww, Laura, thanks for your concern. :hug1 Wise words.

Yes, the long-term homeless are usually homeless for areason. I did a great deal of research into George, includingchecking with the shelters, the neighbourhood advocates, the clerks atthe stores he sleeps in front of,and thelocalpolice, before inviting him over.

George doesn't drink ordo drugs (a rarity), his only historyof violence has been verbal abuse. (He's been known to bequite a ranter, he has 'episodes'). They all believe him tobe pretty honest. He's definitely not a con artist -he'snot a very good liar. He likes to play thesystem, though. I'mcorrecting my original storyafter studying him further -- he certainly has no qualms about takingcharity!If he intially refusedoffers of freeanything, it was tocreate a good impression for the future.;)

He told me a story about landing his first job when he wasakid, and over the course of the tale, he mentioned inpassing that he had showed up late the first day and soon found it tooboring and quit.Ergo George being 'down on hisluck'. Industrious is definitely not the word forGeorge. The only thing that movtivateshimare the bunnies -- he's very attentive there.But he can't be bothered to get out thebread to makeasandwich, muchless the mustard-- he justeats the meat.

I've seen no hint of the delusions, I suspect he has episodes andreacts with 'stories' when he feels he's been looked down on.And I haven't seen much evidence of it, but he is paranoidalthough I'm sure living on the street will do that to you.

He gets enough welfare for a skid row hotelroom (he won'tadmit to mental issues to get a disability increase), but he won'tassociate with that neighbourhood or those people, he'drather sleep on the street. He rants about the system beingunfair to the poor -- he can get free meals, but he has to travel 20blocks. I think he thinks they shoulddeliver.;)He definitely thinks the worldowes hima living,he's 'earned' it by living on thestreet all this time. :huh

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

sas and the gang :bunnydance::elephant:

So you went from fostering bunnies to fostering bunny people?:D

I hope everything works out well with George coming to yourplace! He sounds like a woman at an assisted living home myhubby used to work in. She was on welfare all her lifebecause she refused to work, even after her kids were out of thehouse. Then when she couldn't live on her own any more shecomplained that the government was treating her horribly because theyweren't paying for her to live at a ritzy upscale place.Apparently having her own room in a small 5 bedroom facility (ex-house,so it was very comfy) with home cooked meals and somebody to clean upwasn't enough.

Bunny George is really opening up.He'sreally sweet, and very genuine.Someof the mental issues are appearing, although they're not sobad.He's not 'challenged' or 'child like', I thinkhe's bi-polar. I think I headed an 'episode' off at the pass,triggered by Dawn picking upBaxter. It didn't occurto me he'd take it that hard. I guess between Baxter'spersonality and his wheezing (keeping in mind that Howardhadpneumonia), I guess he really bonded with him.He started pacing an looking glassy eyed, very worried that Dawnwouldn't take good enough care of him. But I reassured himthat Dawn was one of the best bunny moms in the world, and thatpacified him.

UnfortunatelyDill got extemely ill with a gas attack (see myinfirmary post) right after Baxter left.Georgedidn't really want me to take him to the vet. He was worriedthat it was extremely cold outside and Dillmight catchpneumonia, too, or the vet may give him something that would make himworse, and that he wasn't getting a chance to rest with all themassaging, etc -- which was a good point.I put himin the carrier with the door open, I told George that if he tried tocome out of the carrier, I'd wait.ButDilljust laid in there like a little limp noodle,soI decided to take him in and got ready to go. Butthen Dill snapped out of it and all was well.

George is feeling incredibly guilty about Howard's death.He's beating himself up about not having the money for a vet, andhaving him on the streetduring thecold snap(although the insulation in and around Howard's kennel was quiteamazing). (For the record, he doesn't know how old Howard waswhen he first got him, but he had him four years, and he had lots ofbunnies before Howard).

Anyhoo, now that Dawn has her bunnies back, I'm going to try andconcentrate on finishing my book and NOT bunnies. Not surewhat that's going to mean for George. It's going to snow hereagain pretty quick. He needs to be indoors. Itcould be a bit challenging -- he normally doesn't do laundry, he justgoes to one of the many shelters that provide free clothesandgets another set. :biggrin: Hopefullyhe'll do that soon, or I can convince him to try the laundry thing justthis one time. ;)

Otherwisehe's not bothering me (other than talking my ear off).

saset al

Youre a great person for helping him out.

Maybe you guys could work something out where he comes a few days aweek to play and cuddle with the bunnies? That way you dont have himlingering around while you try to work?

THREE pages back to find out how all in your warren are? :nonono:

Still haven't replaced my camera cable!
tongueblech.gif

Everybunny is justfine!:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:(ButGeorge is driving me nuts).
expert.gif

I will be signing off to get back in book mode, I've done well the lasttwo or three weeks, but this week, I've fallen offschedule.
5arg.gif
tiredsmiley.gif

I'm so seriously in debtnow
smelly.gif
I have no choice!

So see you all in a week or three!!:wave:
paper.gif

bouncegrab.gif

Pipp wrote:
Iwill be signing off to get back in book mode, I've done well the lasttwo or three weeks, but this week, I've fallen offschedule.
5arg.gif
tiredsmiley.gif
Hey everyone! Maybe Pipp needs her own banned group... :brat:

Don't have time to read every post I've missed right now but I hope everybunny is well (and I will have to figure out who the heck Bunny George is...:dunno).

Woah that's awesome!! It's so hard to loose apet in any circumstance, but to loose one when you're on the streetsand that's all you've got would be horrible... What you've done forGeorge is so kind and wonderful!
xox
Lara and Bangbang

p.s. how many bunnies do you currently have? They are all so beautiful

I can't believe I haven't updated this since February!

This one will have to be short and sweet, more later!

I'm up to SEVEN bunnies! As per the rescue thread, here...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=19339&forum_id=7

I've taken in Dill's mom and sister, who were housed in the same AWFULcircumstances as Dill and Darry when I first got them viaDawn. Here's Dawn'spics of the cages:

Feb072007+032.jpg

Feb072007+033.jpg

This is Sugar n' Spice, Dill's sister.

I built my first NIC cage-- although it's more of a pen --for the girls, and they're in seventh heaven! THey haveperches on three levels, a little back area and a tunnel.It's not huge, but way huger than what they had. They'retucked into a corner of the living room next to the couch, which is nowdisputed territory. The new girls could originally jump fromthe pen onto the couch, and at first Dill and Sherry reluctantly letthem do that, but once they started jumping onto the floor of THEIRlivingroom, all bets were off. We had some pretty gnarlybunny fights, and the couch became quite the poop andpeerecepticle. :disgust:We're stilldealing with that one.

Pipp has had a long fight with poopy butt and molar spurs, you can seethe details here in the infirmary -http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=19728&forum_id=16-butshe's much better now. :)

I have a new roomie moving in on Sunday, he's from Romania, and heseems to love the bunnies. :) That of course wasthe main criteria. (I left the bunny poops on the couch justto set the right tone). ;)

I finally gave Bunny George the boot. I haven't heard fromhim in a few days, he's probably not very happy with me. ButI gave him the option of being my roommate, but that meant paying rent,and I don't think he liked that idea -- even though welfare would havepaid most of it. :rollseyes He thinks he deservesto have everything forfree. :clown

More later!

sas :) pipp:bunnydance: dill:bunnyheartsherry:brownbunnyradar:bunny17: derry:bunny19 and sugar and sekura:toastingbuns

London Drugs also has a bunch of vacuums on saleright now, getting rid of last years models. Hoover has apretty good little canister vac that has good reviews.

How's Sekura's boo-boo's coming along? All healing up nicely?

--Dawn

I got the vacuum as above, it's great, althougha little overwhelmed by all the dirt. (The Hepa filter needscleaning every couple of minutes, but that's because of the dirt/dustfrom the deep-clean, not the bunny poops/hair).

Sekura's swelling has gone down, she has a small hard lump on her lipnow instead of a tennis-ball-size swelling, so hopefully it's goingaway on its own. Sugar is closing one eye,though. It's reddish around the edges, but not too bad, sonot sure what's up with that. I'll give it a day or three.

These new guys are even bigger slobs than Darry.:shock: They're trashing their pen within minutes,and they are SO:mad: not litter trained.I'm goingto have to get some pics.

Pipp had run of the house yesterday while I was cleaning up, she seemsto be back to normal. :) She normally doens't likebeing out of my room that much, but she was definitely having a goodtime.

She's wolfing down her salad and her poops area respectible size, although I'd prefer them to be a little bigger.

New roomie moved in, he's from Romania. I think he's a bitshocked by the bunny debris, but he seems game. We'll seeabout that. ;)

sas :) and the warren :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
Pipp... seems to be back to normal. :)
Yeah Pipp!

:bunnydance::elephant::bunnydance::colors::bunnydance::jumpforjoy::bunnydance:

Did you figure which foods worked when Pippwasfeeling poorly. Isitgoing to be3or 4 months for the next dentalappointment? The spurs are an on goingthing.

So far Pebbles is fine with her teeth. May be it'sthe papaya tablets and Zupreem Bird Treats thatkeep her teeth in check asshereally has to crunchdown on them, which she likes.

Rainbows! :)

I missed the update!

Im so glad Pipp is better. And are these two girls fosters or permanentresidents? ;) We need some pics when you have a chance!

Latest posts

Back