Piper was spayed today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip&Piper

Reaction score
Hi all!

I picked Piper up about 3 hours ago from her spay surgery. She seems to be doing pretty good, although she hasn’t moved much and seems pretty sleepy. She’s got water and some hay and pellets and a little parsley near her. She has nibbled on the parsley a tiny bit, which I’m thinking is pretty good so far.

Any tips and tricks for recovery? I have two syringes of metacam to give her for the next two days.

We are going to leave her be as much as possible until tomorrow, but of course I have the bunny cam running to keep an eye on her. I thought I’d be bummed out that I’d never see Piper have babies, but I feel really happy about being able to get her back in with Skipper and let them have the whole enclosure together again! I’m also really looking forward to Piper’s litterbox habits improving too!

I had the best luck with getting my buns to eat leafy greens. So I just keep offering them as much as they would eat, particularly dark leaf lettuces. It also has the added benefit of keeping them hydrated.

Tips. Yeah, you will probably need to ask the vet for more metacam. I usually get 5 days worth that is given twice a day, at a dosage of 0.5mg/kg. Rabbits metabolize meloxicam very quickly, so once a day dosing isn't usually considered good enough for rabbits anymore. But you can also just see how she does. Maybe she won't need any more than that.
https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

I admit, raising babies is fun, but it really is over with so fast. And then they are adults and you either have to find them a home or keep them all. Which I ended keeping most of mine. I think you'll like having your two together again. I love seeing mine happily snuggled up together napping.

The vet said I could call or pop in if she needed more meds, he’s really close so that’s good. How will I know if she is in pain? Will she start teeth grinding? She hasn’t eaten much yet, not even a raspberry which is her favourite. But she did poop a little, and let out the biggest pee I have ever seen! I took out her litter boxes and put in a smaller one because it was lower, but she peed beside it, which is her trademark, lol.

Piper seems to be doing pretty good today! She still doesn’t move around much, but much more than yesterday! She is eating a bit and pooping a bit, some in the litterbox even, but she still hops out of the litterbox to pee. I was hoping the spay would fix that, hopefully eventually it will!

Here’s a couple pics of Piper resting and recovering:
upload_2019-5-4_21-8-55.jpeg
upload_2019-5-4_21-9-26.jpeg

Latest posts

Back