Pink sores on my bunnies feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest not keeping him in a wired bottom cage! Even with the most padding it can cause harm in their legs because it is too much pressure and they never have truly any safe space to relax! The chewing and biting at everything can also be a sign that he’s bored! It’s best to stay away from water bottles and get them use to drinking from a bowl! Also try and give him as much as you can free roaming time to exercise his legs as safely as possible since you said he has a swollen knee :(. If the swelling in his knees seem to become more serious go check them out he might need medication but I have a feeling it might be from the wired bottom cage! You seem to really care about your bun and I really appreciate it, it’s always nice to see someone take a lot of interest into their pets! Just always keep him in super comfortable flooring and try and prevent cages! It’lI give some time to finally relax his knee. I know it’s easier said than done
First and foremost, thank you for caring! Second, i'm sorry if you ended up assuming some things based on the text that i wrote. So i'll try my best to clear the misconceptions.

This cage is only where he's supposed to go to his toileting, drinking and eating. That is why there's only a small bit of soft wire. He is wise in that sense and steers clear himself. His flooring is cardboard and he now has a soft bath carpet on top of that as well.

It may be that our normal living room carpet is pretty coarse but my parents aren't going to change or cover the carpets so it can't be helped for the time being. He destroys fleece flooring whenever he can, and also these foam mats that have been reccommended.

These pictures are older, so they don't show the bowl and the flooring i have now.
I saw that crock-type lock-in bowl at Kika once when i went so i bought it. He hates wb's so there are no more if those stupid leaky bottles for him ever again.

Chewing, digging and tossing stuff has been with him since the beginning. He tears apart whatever toys he gets, so it's probably his way of play. He does find bags and boxes appealing to destroy though.

He free roams all the time where ever he wants(with the exception of 23.00-6.00 when noone is awake to monitor him) so when he decides to lounge about all day every day behind his "living room" doing literally nothing but sleeping instead of moving, then i can't help it.

The swelling is clearly not from the barely wire bottomed cage. The vet said that it was because our rambunctious hyperactive bun hit his leg when he decided to hop onto my bed but fell down. Hey-if he tries to come, i won't stop it cuz i love him but i cannot catch him when he falls when i don't see it.

As for his treatment, the vet gave him an injection of some meds and said that he'd be better by monday. He IS moving his bad leg a little bit more and has nearly stopped dragging it behind. In my eyes, that's slow recovery!

Did you name him the Destroyer 🤣
Who, my bun? No, i didn't. It would sound weird if i called him that." Hävitaja " is what you'd call a " destroyer " in Estonian. His name is" Musti, " what you'd call " Blacky " in English. I wasn't really creative in naming him because i struggle with naming anything at all, so i named him after how much black you could see in his coat when you first look at him. Although neither my mum or dad really use the name, so dad labeled him " punkar villu " for all the neck hair that sometimes stands up like a punk singers' mohawks. Funny story.

Latest posts

Back