Pineapple?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
I know that Blackie can have pineapple to eat. Ihave read somewhere that the core was safe for him to chew on. Is thistrue? Also are the leaves ( the green top part) safe for rabbits?

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Blackiesmum,

BuckJones gave us the best description on that, so I've copied it over for you.

-Carolyn

Fresh pineapple and pineapple juice contains the enzymebromelain, which breaks down the mucous bindingtrichobezoars(hairballs) in the intestinal system.Apparently, the canning process neutralizes the enzyme, so cannedpineapple won't work. One can determine if the process isworking properly by noting the increase of fecal pellets thatare strung, or connected. together with strands of fur on thewire or in the litter box.

Papain, in papaya, is another enzyme thatfunctions in asimilar manner and both ingredients are to be found inmeattenderizeras they "break down" the protein matter to makemeat more tender.Some rabbit fanciers, as a homeremedy, will make a paste from meat tenderizer and feed it to theirrabbits to eliminate hair balls.I used it by tryingto add it to the drinking water.

Another way to successfully administer the enzymes is by feeding chunksof dried pineapple or dried papaya. Similarly, one can alsodispense papaya enzyme tablets to your bun(s), available at Wal*Martfor about $2.99 per 100 tablets, orfrom your local healthfood store.

I have used all the above and can notice the increase in stringers whenI do, however, I have some issues with each of them. FreshPineapple is too expensive for the little amount that I can use at anyone given time; it is not the easiest thing to prepare; and some of mybuns wouldn't eat it, or drink the juice, voluntarily.

Meat tenderizer's main ingredients are salt and MSG, not the enzymesthat do the work, and I'm an reluctant to feed my buns unnecessary saltand/or MSG.

Most dried papaya and pineapple have added sugars, which are nothealthy for rabbits. Some have sulfur as a preservative and, often,these products may be sold, loose,without any ingredientslisted, so one has no idea what one is getting. Every now andagain, I run into some dried fruit that has no additives of any kind,but it is few and far between.

Wal*Mart's papaya enzyme tables, while inexpensive, contain sugar and abinder tohold the tablet together. They,too, have very little actual enzyme within them. Health foodpapaya enzyme tablets can be found in a sugarless version, but they areapproximately $9.00-$12.00 for 100-200 tablets, and I am not sure howmuch of the actual enzyme is in their ingredients.

I am currently experimenting with administering papain andbromelain enzyme powder to our buns directly by dissolvingabout 1/2 teaspoon of each into one gallon oftheir drinkingwater. The bromelain has a strong odor, which I mask byadding 1/2 -1 tsp of vanilla extract to the water. The smellof the vanilla extract permeating the buns' waste matter, tends torepel the flies that may cause Fly Strike or Warbles

The powders seem to be working quite effectively.The potential downside is that they cost me, each, $25.00 per100 grams, from an Internethealth food supplycompany...fairly expensive, but if they last long enough, they maystill be more cost effective than the health food storetablets. In any case, I know they are getting nothing but thepure enzyme, and nothing more.

Buck

Blackiesmum,

I like this list of the bestofsafe and unsafe foodsfor rabbits. It's very comprehensive as far as statingspecifics (such astomatoes are fine for rabbits, but theirleaves are not.) It doesn't listpineappleleaves. I, personally,haven't comeacrossany evidenceto date thatindicatesthe core would be bad for rabbits.

http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back