Picky veggie eater

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
Since Horatio turned 4 months old about a month ago, I have been slowly introducing new veggies to him and seeing how each one goes with his tummy so as to not have any runny poops etc.

At first he LOVED Pok Choy (I used to think it was Bok but it is actually slightly different and is called POK Choy not Bok this one we get.... odd) and would eat it every night. Then I would put 1 other veggie with his Pok Choy to see if he liked it. Nope. He would eat the Pok Choy leaves and leave the Zucchini or the Corn or the Basil or the Spring Onion or the Bok Choy (we found the ACTUAL veggie Bok Choy next to the Pok Choy... go figure!). THEN he decided he no longer liked his Pok Choy, so I tried Red Lettuce which he LOVED! Then, he got sick of that too so I tried Pok Choy again. Nope, still sick of that!

I bought some Broccoli, Parsley, Bok Choy and some more Lettuce today to try out again with him. He had some bites of a Carrot tonight which he seemed to like though which was good.

He gets organic Sultanas as a treat for training (he can not stand up on command!) and Pellets with some oats mixed in, as well as unlimited hay as his normal diet and he is about 1kg.

Any advice for a picky veggie eating bun bun? I thought all bunnies LOVED food -___-;

Wow this post has a lot of Choy's in it...

I find that Dobby, Kreacher and Willard will get tired of certain veggie if I give it to them to many times in a row. So I try to change it up. Give them something different, (well the veggies I know sits well in their bellies) every night.

Maybe Horatio would like a variety? And yes, I think a bunny can loose his taste for certain things. I know Dobby used to love cantalope and watermelon, but will not touch it any more. I think they're taste changes on certain things. I will try this summer again with the fruit. It's been a while since he's put his nose up to it.

Maybe if you wait a bit, and offer the Pok Choy in say a month, Horatio might like it again.

Yes, bunnies do like their food, but they can be a bit picky about certain things. And I think they can get bored with certain foods too after a while.

Horatio sounds like a typical, spoiled, well loved bunny to me.

K:)

Aw thank you Karen. He is VERY spoilt and very loved. You should see how many toys he has!! More than a small child!

I might try some Parsley with him next and see how he likes that, and then if not move on to the more solid things. Dudley back at mums only really eats the really solid veggies like Cauliflower and Sweet Potato. He gets mostly the same things though all the time and still scoffs it! He is veryyy big though so maybe that is why hehe.

Thanks for the advice Karen! I will keep changing things up for him (slowly though of course) and see how he goes. Either way, he certainly isn't starving :p

Our permanent list includes Romaine Lettuce, Cilantro, Italian Parsley, Parsley, and Dandelion Greens. We sometimes grow a little Wheat Grass or alfalfa sprouts too. We stay away from higher calcium stuff like Kale and Spinach and the cruciform (gassy) veggies like Brocoli and Cauliflower or Brussel sprouts. No bunny is spoiled, just treated like they all should be.

Latest posts

Back