Picky rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena

Reaction score
Im having some trouble getting my buns to chew on anything Ive tried all sorts of bunny safe woods and all kinds of cardboard. Ive spent so much money of rabbit toys that just sit there they just ignore it (Hoping my new 3rd bunny will like the old toys) any idea on how to get bunnies more intrested in toys?

Do they chew other things in the house? Simulate the things (furniture?!) that they like to chew and buy toys of similar textures. Try things like those sea grass mats maybe?

Do they chew other things in the house? Simulate the things (furniture?!) that they like to chew and buy toys of similar textures. Try things like those sea grass mats maybe?
Nope Ive never had a problem with them chewing anything inside. Not even chords. Ive tried sea grass mats they will lay on them but never chew them!!

If they don’t like chewing then I suppose you’re just lucky, as long as they eats lots of hay that will wear their teeth down, and you don’t have to worry about wasting your money haha

The favorite was fresh apple branches--I had 3 trees so we had a ready supply. Over the years, the 2 favorite things were cardboard boxes--I'd start with one small hole in a huge box and they'd make a lot more--look up "cardboard castles". The 2nd was plain brown shopping bags. The only toy we bought that got a lot of attention was wicker balls and a wicker house, but those involved a lot of vacuum work.

Mine don't chew either thankfully they chewed for like a week but then stopped but their teeth are just fine since they eat hay

Mine don't chew either thankfully they chewed for like a week but then stopped but their teeth are just fine since they eat hay
Oh good its not just mine haha

Willow twigs and branches are my rabbits favorits.

Anyway, as far as I know, it's not so much what they gnaw and munch, but the right motion that wears the teeth off, upper and lower front teeth grinding on each other. They do that motion when eating hay, grass, forage, but not when eating grains, pellets or other stuff they squash with their molars.

I don't know where you live, but my rabbits and guinea pigs love apple branches. If you have any apple orchards near you, maybe they will let you take some scrap branches. That's where I get mine. They sell it in bundles for cheap and my buns love it.

so I take it back, it could be hormones but all of a sudden Bunster is very interested in chewing. The phonebook I left for her sat untouched for months, but now there are phonebook scraps everywhere! So there you have it. I also cannot seem to clip any of her nails without her very much wanting to chew the nailclippers .. she tends to like to chew rubbery things for some reason like dustpan handles and other non-toy items. T_T

Willow twigs and branches are my rabbits favorits.

Anyway, as far as I know, it's not so much what they gnaw and munch, but the right motion that wears the teeth off, upper and lower front teeth grinding on each other. They do that motion when eating hay, grass, forage, but not when eating grains, pellets or other stuff they squash with their molars.

i agree with Preitler

because then she has gi stasis, it is a life threatening illness that you have to take your bunny to the vet for immediately.

I wouldnt worry. My first bunny chewed up my kitchen and I don’t want to tell you how much it cost me to fix.
If your rabbit eats a lot of hay, that is. All the chewing they need.

Latest posts

Back