Picky rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicksully71

Reaction score
66f50c5e-2db9-45f3-969f-1d824e0c9a6d.9768
we recently got our first rabbit he is still pretty young 6-8 weeks not positive he is very happy and runs and binkies all the time....and poops everywhere but that’s besides the point for the moment I would really like to find a good treat for training purposes and rewards so far no luck I’ve tried carrots and craisens which I read rabbits love but he won’t touch them he doesn’t even sniff them any idea of what I could try?
da4e4620-f20b-4c33-8109-c90360c0ef41.9769

I wouldn't get anything too sugary if you plan to give lots of it during training, but soft and sweet fruits like strawberries and banana may be popular even with picky buns. Does she like her pellets a lot? If so, you could give her 1 pellet as reward.

66f50c5e-2db9-45f3-969f-1d824e0c9a6d.9768
we recently got our first rabbit he is still pretty young 6-8 weeks not positive he is very happy and runs and binkies all the time....and poops everywhere but that’s besides the point for the moment I would really like to find a good treat for training purposes and rewards so far no luck I’ve tried carrots and craisens which I read rabbits love but he won’t touch them he doesn’t even sniff them any idea of what I could try?
da4e4620-f20b-4c33-8109-c90360c0ef41.9769

It is lucky that he refused the carrots and craisins as he is far too young to be given those sugary treats. It could cause digestive upset which can quickly turn fatal for young rabbits. No fruits of any kind yet.

He can slowly begin to be offered limited greens when he's closer to 12+ weeks of age. It will take several weeks to a few months to acclimate him to a variety of greens. Not until he has adjusted to a variety of greens should the idea of treats be considered.

In the meantime, you can use his plain pellets as "a treat" for training purposes. The fact that the pellets are being hand offered will "transform" them into a "treat."

Here's more info on how to introduce greens safely.

He has been eating Romaine lettuce since we got him should we stop letting him have it? He seems to love it

It is lucky that he refused the carrots and craisins as he is far too young to be given those sugary treats. It could cause digestive upset which can quickly turn fatal for young rabbits. No fruits of any kind yet.

He can slowly begin to be offered limited greens when he's closer to 12+ weeks of age. It will take several weeks to a few months to acclimate him to a variety of greens. Not until he has adjusted to a variety of greens should the idea of treats be considered.

In the meantime, you can use his plain pellets as "a treat" for training purposes. The fact that the pellets are being hand offered will "transform" them into a "treat."

Here's more info on how to introduce greens safely.
He has been eating Romaine lettuce since we got him should we stop letting him have it? He seems to love it

If his poos have remained normal then that would mean that he is tolerating the romaine. If that is the case, then it is fine to keep it up.

I would try to find other options but in the meantime you can use romaine but don't use to much or any other kind of lettuce because it can cause diarrhea which can be fatal in rabbits. So just keep a very good eye on his poops.

I would try to find other options but in the meantime you can use romaine but don't use to much or any other kind of lettuce because it can cause diarrhea which can be fatal in rabbits. So just keep a very good eye on his poops.
That's a common myth that's been perpetuated on the web (and perhaps from people attempting to feed greens to young baby rabbits whose momma was not eating greens). Once a rabbit is over 12 weeks of age, it can be slowly introduced to different types of greens -- one type at a time. Iceberg should be avoided - has no nutritional value. But all other lettuces -- romaine, green leaf, red leaf, spring mixes, etc., are all perfectly fine to feed to rabbits.

That's a common myth that's been perpetuated on the web (and perhaps from people attempting to feed greens to young baby rabbits whose momma was not eating greens). Once a rabbit is over 12 weeks of age, it can be slowly introduced to different types of greens -- one type at a time. Iceberg should be avoided - has no nutritional value. But all other lettuces -- romaine, green leaf, red leaf, spring mixes, etc., are all perfectly fine to feed to rabbits.
I was talking more like iceberg lettuce

Latest posts

Back