Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddy222

Reaction score
I got my bunny at a petstore (I have no shelters close to where I live) that sadly didn't really give their rabbits hay. Now she doesn't eat any hay at all. But I've been hesitant to take away pellets since she was underweight when I got her.

I have tried: Rabbits salad sprinkled into her food, mixed greens mixed in, pellets mixed in, trying EVERY type of hay, and hey cubes. She just takes everything out of the hay and leaves the hay...

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now that wont starve her :(

Have you tried purchasing small amounts of different types of hays? Oat hay, orchard grass, timothy, etc? Maybe alfalfa? You could try ordering a sample pack of hays from Small Pet Select and hopefully your bun would like one of those. I think most rabbits tend to prefer orchard grass over timothy because it's sweeter, and alfalfa is nearly always going to be a favorite but should only be used with young rabbits.

For now if you're worried about your bun's digestion you could try and see if she'll eat fresh grass. After all, hay's just dried grass and fresh grass serves the same purpose for digestion. Just make sure the grass doesn't have chemicals :)

Have you tried purchasing small amounts of different types of hays? Oat hay, orchard grass, timothy, etc? Maybe alfalfa? You could try ordering a sample pack of hays from Small Pet Select and hopefully your bun would like one of those. I think most rabbits tend to prefer orchard grass over timothy because it's sweeter, and alfalfa is nearly always going to be a favorite but should only be used with young rabbits.

For now if you're worried about your bun's digestion you could try and see if she'll eat fresh grass. After all, hay's just dried grass and fresh grass serves the same purpose for digestion. Just make sure the grass doesn't have chemicals :)

Yes I have tried many different types and she doesnt seem to like any of them. BUT the fresh grass is a great idea and i will try that!

What is her age? So what type and how many greens per day? How many pellets? Are you keeping a supply of hay in her cage at all times anyway?

I suggest sprinkling safe dried herbs into her hay. This always makes my bunnies eat more hay.

I like using peppermint, lemon thyme, camomile and rosemary. :)

Latest posts

Back