picking up rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwal084

Reaction score
My rabbit is three and a half months old and I'm trying to get him used to being picked up but he HATES it. He will scramble and claw away when held. I've tried holding him firmly and following advice such as Supporting his feet but he just uses this as another method for escape. Any help very much appreciated. Oh and I've tried leaning my chest in to him to pick up and I'm always on the ground when I pick him up and I talk to him but nothing helps I just end up covered in scratches

You may just have a no holdem bun. The majority of rabbits do not appreciate being held because they're prey animals, but I'm sure you've read this already. Have you tried the scoop between front legs (left hand) and under the back end (right hand)? Then hold bun up against your chest while snuggling your chin down over the bun? Also, when you put bunny back down, in the same hold, you should put the rear to the floor first and the front feet last. If this doesn't work for you, I wouldn't continue to try to hold him, but only to pick him up when it's absolutely necessary. It's just too stressful for him and it could affect your bond. Floor snuggles can be equally delightful.

Try covering his eyes before you go to pick him up. He will be easier to teach handling at this age rather than when he gets older. If it will help wear long sleeves.

Latest posts

Back