Picking up and brushing my bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
My 8 month old mini lop is very independent-almost cat-like. She likes to hang out under the couches, doesn't like to be petted when she hangs around our ankles, and thrashes every time we've tried to pick her up (about three times since we got her as a 2 month old). We took her to the pet store for them to clip her nails; they scruffed her, held her, and she was fine. When we tried it, she ran away after scratching my husband's hand pretty good. So...how do we hold her? Or do we even try? We can always cart her off to the pet store for nail clippings. And she'll have no part of being brushed! The pet store peeps said she had some matted hair on her bum, but we have no way of brushing her! She's molting so black hair is *everywhere*-it's fantastic!
Anyway, any help you could provide this RO newbie-and bunny owner newbie, would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4214.jpg

Simply put, practice and confidence. I had the same problem when I got my first rabbit andnsince he was so big his nips and scratches intimidated me. But I didn't let it dissuade me knowing ghat a good pick up regiment was essential for long-term rabbit care. I practiced once every day and initially gave treats before and after, then after, then not at all. Most importantly once I started I wouldn't stop that day until I picked him up once so that he wouldn't learn that he can escape a behavior simply by putting up a fight.

Now I have no problem lifting my rabbits once I got them secure. Oh sure they don't like it any better then they did when I first started but they sense I'm confindent doing it and their struggling won't keep it from happening. So keep at it.

Adding onto that ^
Rabbits also feel safer with a firmer hand/confident handler. The squirming should start to lower a bit once they get the sense of safety and knowing you have the control. I also reward my rabbit with a nice treat if I successfully pick him up, hold him/pet him, and put him down, but never when he jumps out of my arms. :goodluck:

Bugsy kicks and squirms when picked up, making it hard to brush him, while Groucho runs and hides if approached outside his cage. So, I pick Groucho up from his cage, with some gentle pets first. Then, he is as snuggly as can be. Bugsy, on the other hand, is taking perseverance. He loves pets, just not being picked up. I've had them all of three weeks now. I pick them up for brushing nearly every day. Yesterday, Bugsy actually snuggled and let me brush him for a couple minutes, long enough to prevent matts that were trying to form.
Anyway, I agree with the idea of picking your bun up each day and not caving to the kicking and squirming. You may not succeed as fast as I seem to be, but it will happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back