Picked up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
how to pick up a rabbit tips?

Last edited:
with confidence! Seriously. Pet bunnies tend to weigh in the 2-8 lb range. Pick up your bunny, put it's feet on something as quickly as possible, and if you need to cover it's head to calm it down. Applying pressure can help calm the bunny.

But be confident and DO NOT let the bunny get away from you. Otherwise it just teaches the bunny you aren't safe AND that by struggling he can get away.

DO NOT pick up by the ears or scruff them. Both are hard on the bunny.
Pick bunny up by scooping him under his belly and drawing him into you.

Some people feel more confident teaching bunny to hop on a towel and then using the towel to pick bunny up. Others use a basket to carry it around.

I have smaller bunnies (under 2 kilos) and I always pick them up by putting one hand under their back feet and one under their belly, just behind the front paws. I then immediately put their four paws against my chest and hold them here. You have to be very careful not to let their back legs hang because they are very strong and they can break their back by kicking them in the air. You also have to be careful to never press hard on the soft part of their bellies. There are very fragile organes there that you could accidentally crush while trying to prevent the rabbit from escaping. Try to pick your rabbit only if it's really necessary, and to stay close to the floor until the rabbit is securely against you so you can release him easily without being tempted to squeeze if he struggles.

Latest posts

Back