Phantom pregnancy 4 month old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilafernim

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here and completely new to owning a rabbit.

She’s four months old and we got her from Jolley’s so I do think the age is right. (I got her when she was 12 weeks I think and calculated the age from that) we have every intention to get her spayed but I wanted to wait at least until the six month mark. I have read some people have it done earlier but it just seems too young.

Currently she has a room to herself but we’re letting her out to introduce her to free roaming but she jumps on the bed then starts ripping her fur out I guess to make a nest. I can only guess she’s having a phantom pregnancy, I’d just really appreciate some advice of how to stop her ripping her own fur out!

An experienced rabbit vet is the best one to determine if a particular rabbit is ready to be spayed. They won't spay if they think the rabbit isn't ready. The size and health of the rabbit determines this moreso than a precise age. If a vet determines she has grown enough and is healthy, then she can be spayed now. That should then solve your immediate concern of the fur pulling.

In the UK, the best rabbit vets are perfectly willing to spay at 16 weeks or even younger as long as the bunny is over 800g. It is in fact easier to spay them when they are younger.

Latest posts

Back