Petition to keep the single Myxo vaccine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
For rabbit owners- As some of you may be aware there is a new and debatable (for those who have been previously vaccinated, and also those who are compromised in some way) combination vaccine coming out. They will be removing the single Myxomatosis vaccination shortly after it has been launched which compromises those bunnies who have previously been vaccinated or who are vulnerable. We would like to keep the single vaccine in production to allow as many bunnies as possible to remain vaccinated against that horrible illness. Please sign if you also wish to see it kept for the sake of your bunnies.http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-nobivac-myxomatosis-vaccine-available-after-launch.html

Wishing you luck on your petition. In the United States, there isn't any vaccination for rabbits. So we are kind of "out in the wind" as they say.

I just don't understand why they would take something that works away from people who want to keep their animals healthy. I know that in the United States, the different medicines that were sold over the counter are being phased out and you need to seek out a Vet to get some.

Example: Ivermectin, that I used to help Kreacher with his ear mites is now not being sold in the store. You must get it from a Vet.

Lots of changes being made on how you are allowed to take care of your animals. Little scary IMHO.

Wishing you luck on keeping this vaccination that has been successful out there for the public to protect their bunnies from this disease.

K :)

Flashy wrote:
For rabbit owners- As some of you may be aware there is a new and debatable (for those who have been previously vaccinated, and also those who are compromised in some way) combination vaccine coming out. They will be removing the single Myxomatosis vaccination shortly after it has been launched which compromises those bunnies who have previously been vaccinated or who are vulnerable. We would like to keep the single vaccine in production to allow as many bunnies as possible to remain vaccinated against that horrible illness. Please sign if you also wish to see it kept for the sake of your bunnies.http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-nobivac-myxomatosis-vaccine-available-after-launch.html

I'm sorry to have only just found this thread.

Please let me say that the fears for previously vaccinated rabbits are only relevant for those in mainland Europe where they have been vaccinated using a Myxoma virus strain. The old UK myxi vaccine used Shope Fibroma, not Myxoma virus, and so the problems seen with those vaccinated using Myxoma are not relevant.

There is a study that I've seen that is yet to be published. Once it is, I'll share the link to it. Rabbits that have had Shope should get full coverage against both Myxi and VHD from the new vaccine.

My own rabbits aren't due any boosters till August, but will be having the new vaccine soon. That's how much trust I have in the assurances from Riohard Saunders, Anna Meredith, etc Rae Todd's rabbits (Rae is our Chief Exec) has already had hers vaccinated.

Latest posts

Back