Pet stroller or carrier for my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you agree with a bunny riding inside a pet stroller?

• Total voters

Coach McGuirk

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have an adorable bunny that I rescued from a live animal meat market, and I want to bring him outdoors with me when I walk around the neighborhood, and someday into a pet store. From what I have been reading online, there is a split opinion on whether you should bring a bunny outside. Some people say the bunny will be scared of new surroundings and some say it really depends on the personality of your bunny.

I plan to bring my bunny in pet carrier or a pet stroller. The bunny could technically chew through the carrier, but I plan to always supervise the bunny. Should I place a litter box with hay inside the pet stroller? Would that help with chewing?

If anyone has experience with this, please share your ideas. Thank you.

Hello everyone. I have an adorable bunny that I rescued from a live animal meat market, and I want to bring him outdoors with me when I walk around the neighborhood, and someday into a pet store. From what I have been reading online, there is a split opinion on whether you should bring a bunny outside. Some people say the bunny will be scared of new surroundings and some say it really depends on the personality of your bunny.

I plan to bring my bunny in pet carrier or a pet stroller. The bunny could technically chew through the carrier, but I plan to always supervise the bunny. Should I place a litter box with hay inside the pet stroller? Would that help with chewing?

If anyone has experience with this, please share your ideas. Thank you.

I think that’s adorable! There’s a video on YouTube of Lennonthebunny putting her rabbit in a carrier. I say go for it as long as you can close the stroller and it has air ventilation for her you should be fine :) and it’s okay to take them out it’s better if they are familiar with sound and everything and it’s okay to as long as you supervise her. I’d say put a litter box in there and hay and bring a small collapsible water bowl in case she is thirsty outside. Just don’t take her out when it’s super hot outside. I hope that helps you also that’s very sweet of you to rescue your bunny!

Welcome to the forum! We would love to see a picture of your rabbit!
I think that it just depends on the rabbit. Theo is super friendly and I have taken him to school before. While some rabbits would die if they left their house. Rabbits can die from shock/stress so I would be super careful when taking your rabbit out. Make sure you get a good stroller too. If you get a cheap one there may be holes in it that your rabbit can slip through. How long would you be out with your rabbit? I would carry a bag of hay with you, or get a brown paper bag, fill it with hay, poke holes in it, and put it in the stroller so your rabbit can eat. I would also have a towel on the floor that you don't mind your rabbit using the bathroom on, but I would not put a litter box in there unless you are going on a long trip. I agree with @Peneloppythebun, I would carry a water bottle and a collapsible bowl in case you got stuck on the side of the road or she got thirsty (https://www.amazon.com/COMSUN-Colla...llapsible+bowl+for+pets&qid=1584636283&sr=8-3).
This is one that I suggest getting: https://www.amazon.com/ibiyaya-Carr...5?keywords=pet+stoller&qid=1584636376&sr=8-35.

My bunny Odin will always hop into the travel cage every time he see it and stay. He’s always ready even though he’s not the bunny supposed to be in the travel cage sometimes.

I often fill the carrier and with hay. I will also have my bunnies favorite treats and a water bowl + bottle with water in a purse. So I can give my bunnies treats and water.

My bunnies are used with harness so it’s something I take with me. So if I go to a good place for my bunnies to jump around. I’ll just put the harness on.

My bunnies have never been scared walking outdoors. The most skittish one Toste will react to dogs and cats if they get too close but will be calm rest of the time. While Odin he will just be curious.

If I see a dog I pick my bunnies up or have them within arm reach, so I can easily pick them up.

My bunnies love going out and going for trips it’s something Odin enjoys doing. He’s used with it while Toste I’m still training him because he’s scared of humans.

I have used pet strollers before. I think they are fine to use (recommended even) BUT I would never leave it open the way I see on the photo from that Lennon the Bunny video.

Once you take your rabbit out using the stroller, you can read him to see how he's doing. Some are fine with it, some aren't.

It will be an adventure to any rabbit so they aren't likely to bother with chewing the stroller walls (I also had the same concern). I put a thick folded towel down instead of a litter box and I kept some hay in there as well. I don't recall them eating the hay though -- too much to see.

Last edited:
Start with short walks, it sounds like if you are adding the litter box it will be long. Also have you considered a harness?

I might have to start considering walking my rabbit with a stroller just to eventually get exercise once the shelter in place is over. My boyfriend initially wanted to do this but I turned him down because I was too nervous about putting her outdoors and being scared of everything as she's exclusively indoors. Right now she barely even walks out of our bedroom (even when I purposely leave our door open).

I can't think of any valid reason (other than vet visits) why you would want take a bunny out in a pet stroller. No benefit to the bunny. They should have lots of room 24/7 so they can exercise when they want. If you have a secure garden you can set up a predator proof run. If not, it's perfectly OK for them to stay indoors. Most bunnies hate being taken from their familiar environment and end up very stressed.

That is awesome! I would say the stroller, it keeps it more stable than if you were to walk with him in a bag. I use a stroller and they love it! Not all rabbits like going outside but if they do I would say stroller!

Latest posts

Back