Pet Stores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I was just kind of wondering everyone's opinions on this. I was inthe pet store the other day with my boyfriend and they had three Dutch babies. And to be completely honest, I can't guarantee I wouldn't have gotten one had I been ready to bring a rabbit home. But something that someone else had posted came to mind. That people are going to buy rabbits from pet stores no matter what, so they probably won't stop selling them. And some feel like its better that they get the rabbit so they know its not going to a home that doesn't know about rabbits. What do you all think about buying from a pet store?

Personally, I'm looking into adoption at the moment. But there's one thing that kind of bothers me about it. I know its done with the best intentions, but its just something about home checks. I don't know, I guess its just kind of nerve racking knowing my home is gonna be like inspected. I don't know, I'm probably just weird lol

you're not weird! i'd be in super cleaning mode if i knew my home was being inspected:rollseyes do you know anyone who's had a home check? hopefully someone on here will help you out.

personally i think anyone giving a home to an animal should have to demonstrate that they can care for it. perhaps if pet shops had to do home checks then they might be a bit more careful whom they sold animals to:X

you're being assessed as to whether you're a suitable person to give a home to bunny in need of a good one:Dif they want to check your wardrobe (closet) or bathroom cabinet tho....:ph34r2

All my rabbits are pet shop bought and I don't regret getting them from there as they could have ended up in alot worse conditions. I really hope that if you don't bye one of those dutches that they go to a good home. I wouldn't like anyone inspecting my house would be well freaky.

Our rescue doesn't do home checks if we are comfortable enough with the person when we talk with them on the phone. If we have any doubts,then we ask to do a home check.

There aren't many rabbits in shelters where I live, the closet shelter that has rabbits is almost an hour a way and is more of a sanctuary, they only rehome if you have a huge outdoor pen, other then that they just keep them. If there was a shelter bursting with rabbits here, I would adopt from them, but there isn't so I buy from petshops, there are some breeders but not many and they aren't near me.

I think some pet stores have their place, there are ones that's animals are from shelters or reputable breeders and provide them with quality care but there are others that are just down right terrible, as Gracie said some people don't have access to SPCA's or good breeders so its the only way to go, even people who have access to all of the options still buy bunnies from pet stores. I'm 100% adopting but if the shoe doesn't fit......... It's some of the people buying them that concern me, they buy them on impulse and they end up being neglected etc. So far I havn't had a rabbit from a pet store but if I saw one that was in really bad condition, or I felt a connection to, yes I would most prob get it/them.

If I had someone coming to inspect my home I'd be so paranoid lol I'd be cleaning and hiding things for hours lol but spose its only to make sure the bunnies going to the best home possible.

Usually a home visit just implies they want to see what kind of set-up your rabbit will have, the location, and get a feeling for the atmosphere of the home.

It's all in an effort to make the best match and be sure the rabbit is going to a good home. Most rabbits that end up at rescues come from really bad situations, they want to prevent that from happening again.

Regarding pet stores... My opinion is Opt to Adopt. When adopting from a rabbit rescue you are opening a space for said rescue to help more needy rabbits. When buying from a pet store you are giving them money to "re-stock". Do you see the difference? However, the heart does not always go with what is logical. Sometimes you see a pet store animal that you feel an instant connection and love for. You cannot help but want to share your life with it. Who am I to say that is wrong? Heck, I'm guilty of doing it!

I don't have anything against pet stores in general, but I feel really bad for some of the animals.

I was thinking about this the other day, and my thought was that for animals like dogs cats and rabbits there could be some laws fining pet stores for selling new animals in areas that have an overpopulation. For instance, I always see little bunnies at a local pet store I buy food from, but I know that an hour away there are 50 to 100 wonderful young and adult rabbits that desperately need homes. It could easily be made law that it's a crime not to make people adopt rescued rabbits before bunnie rabbits could be sold.

The pet store could even make a commission for linking the owner with the rescue.

I dunno, just some idle thoughts I had.

Well my husband went into our local pet store today to hear one of the employees telling a woman that the only way she would get 2 bunnies to live together was to get 2 boys!!!! should pet shops have rabbits hmmmmm I think if they have the education then yes.

As a breeder I always make very sure that people undertsand that if they do not continue to want the rabbit they got from me then I want it back and I do not expect it to go anywhere else!

Having your home checked I think is a sign that they are serious about who gets their bunnies and I wouldn't mind that at all. Getting one from a pet store I feel is ok, Sophie is from a pet store that I never went into except that day and brought him home. If there's a bunny in a shelter that you make a connection to then adopt, it's all about what your looking for and chemistry.

Happi Bun wrote:
Usually a home visit just implies they want to see what kind of set-up your rabbit will have, the location, and get a feeling for the atmosphere of the home.

It's all in an effort to make the best match and be sure the rabbit is going to a good home. Most rabbits that end up at rescues come from really bad situations, they want to prevent that from happening again.

Regarding pet stores... My opinion is Opt to Adopt. When adopting from a rabbit rescue you are opening a space for said rescue to help more needy rabbits. When buying from a pet store you are giving them money to "re-stock". Do you see the difference? However, the heart does not always go with what is logical. Sometimes you see a pet store animal that you feel an instant connection and love for. You cannot help but want to share your life with it. Who am I to say that is wrong? Heck, I'm guilty of doing it!
But in the same sense are you preventing one rabbit from mabye going into a rescue. I am not saying all people that buy pet shop bunnys are bad. But some are spure of the moment.

Taken from my site....

4were from petstores. 2 of those 4 werein 2007. I can not say that I will never get another bunny from a store. (Ok I KNOW that I would never get a marshalls bun from a store.) Some of the bunnies I have the strongest bonds were from petstores.

[align=justify]Bun 1 Ringo - Store[/align]
[align=justify][font="Comic Sans MS,sans-serif"]Bun 2 Samatha - Gift/Rescue (RIP)[/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS,sans-serif"]
Bun3 Connor - Store[/font]

Bun 4 Teresa - Rehome[/font]

Bun 5 Dallas - Adopted from
3Bunnies[/font]
Bun 6 Elvis - Store[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS,sans-serif"]Bun 7 - Wyatt - Store heard about him on RO [/font]

Bun 8 - Chibi - Adopted from 3Bunnies

Bun 9 - Apple - Rehome heard about her on RO

[/align]
[align=justify]---------
[/align]

[align=justify]I think sometimes somethings are destiny. Follow your heart. That is all you can do. Though give the housecheck a chance first.
[/align]

polly wrote:
As a breeder I always make very sure that people undertsand that if they do not continue to want the rabbit they got from me then I want it back and I do not expect it to go anywhere else!

Have you had many people return rabbits to you after having had them for a long time?

I'm just curious, I think it's great that you offer them this option for your bunnies.

If the home inspection bothers you that much, like it does me, look around for a shelter that doesn't do inspections. When we got Mitsuki Sunday, we went to the shelter, said we wanted her, the shelter did a quick check up on her, made us fill out some paperwork (just a little survey with some personal info like home address) , and we were on our way home with her. Best part is she's already spayed and microchiped for free and she was even free to a good home because she was at the shelter so long. Plus to know you helped a bunny out and have a great new friend because of it. I really hope you consider adoption.

Really, I would not stress a home inspection. We are not looking for white glove cleanliness. A feces-packed, high stink situation would get my attention, but all we want to see is appropriate housing and look for areas that may need bunny-proofing.

:yeahthat:

I did a home visit (not inspection) last night. I don't look for Matha Stewart cleanliness. I check to see where the rabbit is going to be housed, ask the family questions about their experiences, check the other pets, that sort of stuff. The dogs where very friendly. One was licking me. I had no issues with the dogs. That is reason the visit was done. The people had a rabbit before. So that helps. The rabbit they will get will be spoiled.

My problem with pet stores is more where the rabbits are actually coming from, which is likely a poor situation in most cases. The fact that they sell to anyone is also scary. I never like to "buy" live animals, and I hate the idea of supporting mills that mass breed animals without concern for their happiness.
That being said, I also weigh in the consequences on the particular animal that I may be able to help. When I purchase an animal from a pet store, it's usually because I feel an attachment to that animal and I wonder where it'll end up if I don't do anything. I've actually bought a few animals from bad situations in pet stores just to adopt them to loving homes, and I feel good knowing I've helped the animal. But I also know that another will soon take its place.

Fortunately I only know of one pet store in my area that sells rabbits... rarely at that. I know PETA launched a big campaign recently to convince chain stores not to sell rabbits or birds. This sort of publicity seems to rise attention to the issue, and hopefully one day there will be far fewer stores selling pets. I maintain that there will always be small rodents sold in pet stores. I can see rabbits being phased out, I can see ferrets being phased out (though not as quickly since ferrets can be hard to come by in certain states and Marshall's fills the majority of the demand for them).

I think the best action to take is to get involved in contacting pet stores and asking them NOT to sell live animals, and that sort of thing. Get involved with other groups who may be petitioning for this already. Try to spread the word of rescue and reputable breeders vs pet store stock. And I don't think that refraining from buying a pet from a pet store is a very active role in stopping the sale of pets. It's something that the government needs to get involved with and regulate better. It's the business owner who has to realize it's not acceptable to a large group of customers. Of course buying the animal will support where it came from, but not buying one animal doesn't necessarily make much of a difference. And I encourage everyone, if there's a health issue, CONTACT the store. If they give you your money back, then you've won. You've inconvenienced the store, they've lost money on it, and depending on how many animals this occurs with, it may become more of a pain than it is worth it to sell live animals.

We have a horrible pet store here in town that is known to sell sick rabbits and does not give any bunny care info (even though we have left packets with them). We had a call this week from a lady that bought a rabbit from them. She was using cat litter and feeding rainbow food and no hay.

My personal opinion- I would not adopt from a shelter that wants to inspect my home. A lot of shelters have gotten ridiculous about adopting out rabbits. I breed, so assuming I didn't and was buying a pet- I don't rabbit proof my home because I'm always right there supervising when the rabbits are out. My rabbits live outside in the spring/summer/fall because I think they enjoy being outdoors in the natural environment. I feed a hay/pellet diet, no veggies because of digestive upset. I could go on and on, but most shelters would think from these points that I'd be a horrible rabbit owner and would never adopt to me. Is that true? No. Which leaves one more rabbit sitting in the shelter because I didn't furnish a room in my house for my rabbit.

Not ALL shelters are that insane. But wanting to do home checks sends up a little red flag or me.

So, I'd say no to that shelter in particular but that is just me. I also say no to pet stores.

I try to push reputable breeders. The rabbits are bred for health and temperament, and most reputable breeders tell you flat out- they're a source of information for life. You can come back to them with any questions or concerns and they'll be happy to help you out. I, and other breeders I know, run their rabbitries exactly like this.

Adopting is also good though, so I'm not saying not to consider it. But I'd do a shelter-check before considering adopting from them, just to make sure they won't get crazy and obsessive with me for wanting to adopt!

Latest posts

Back