Pet rabbits are NOT to be released into the wild! A read for everyone!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She deleted ALL of our comments. Still continuing to bash my parenting skills because I value the life of a rabbit.

PS. I know as much as people here dislike meat breeders, a lot of them DO care about what happens to their rabbits. A gentleman I'm friends with on facebook just faced down 3 big dogs with nothing but a shovel to protect his rabbits, and got arrested for his efforts. He also grows a garden specifically to feed his rabbits healthy greens and organic food.

They're not all bad, it's simply a different lifestyle.

She's also going onto Facebook complaining about threats being made against her. She makes it almost sound like people are threatening physical harm or something, which was not the case at all. I find it quite funny that people are telling her to go to the police to get support for her ILLEGAL activities.

Since she feels like deleting everything you guys post maybe next time you do take a screen shot of the reply to show there were no threats made.

Heres what happened
She stayed close to the house and garden and then one afternoon she didn't hop over to me when I called. She was taken (probably by a hawk) in the daytime:( About two weeks later, Dogcat was taken by a wild thing, and then this week one of our hens. This is life in the country...

It really shows how one sided she is that she creates this blog in response to us and then deletes our comments cause she does not want our side of things being shared. Its all about her and her "American dream" which obviously includes animal cruelty.

You should NEVER let any domestic pet go in the wild! Their immunity is weaker than their wild counterparts and instincts are altered because they rely off of humans.
Why do you think feral dogs and cats dig through trash and beg for food and not catch live pray? Because they're not wild animals! They have been raised over decades under human provision and do not have the instincts like their wild counterparts. They are animals that RELY on CARE.

I would also like to add this because a lot of people do this and think everything will be fine:

The same applies for wild-caught pets, esp. when raised for a while of time. A commonly owned wild pet, Turtles for example, they may hibernate in the wild, but once you've raised them in captivity(where the water remains the same temperature all time and they remain active all year) will completely forget to hibernate and will simply freeze to death. Also, because they rely on food by you, in usually clear water, hunting will be difficult, and they will look for the easiest food to eat - such as fishing bait and will end up with a hook through their jaw!

Wild rabbits raised as pets, would be the complete same as releasing a domestic rabbit. They rely on humans as their source of food, water, warmth, and shelter. Once the wild bunny is released, it will then have to suffer frightening conditions it's not used to, like weather and predators and will have to eat things it doesn't like and is not used to(trust me, even in the wild, wild rabbits chose commercial rabbit food over grass and twigs!).

Also, some wild pets released into the wild will look for humans. Some commonly owned wild animals, like foxes, raccoons, and bobcats, can be feared because it's coming up to someone and the person may think it has rabies, when it actually only wants to eat some cat/dog chow, curl up in a warm soft bed, or drink water from a bowl. But the fear of rabies may end up as bad news of that innocent wild pet - being shot or euthenized.

Please, before taking in any wild animal as a pet - make sure you can provide it's needs as you would a domestic pet! If you can't take care of it anymore - give it up for adoption or give to sanctuaries. There are areas, such as the 4H Club, where wild animals can be cared for.

dungeonbunnies wrote:
I received a response from her.

Dear LB,

Thank you very much for your communication. I truly appreciate the time and loving heart it took to write and share with me. This post was written last year and Jack found "her" way back to the front porch, where we made a cozy home for her and she made great friends with our two young cats:)

Our farmer/neighbor friend raises these meat rabbits, so we knew what we were getting in that respect.

One of the truly beautiful things I have found in this blessed life is that people live and learn in different ways; sometimes it's an easy way and sometimes it's a difficult way. To this very moment, I feel what we did with Jack Lapin was the right thing to do. My family lives and loves our wild setting out here and we also experience some tough losses with the predators, including our sweet hens.

I, too, love animals but I could only love a rabbit as much as children, if I didn't have my own (children). However, I do not stand in judgement about your feelings in this regard, and honestly am just very glad to know that in this age of so many horrible, intentional happenings to both children and animals, that you are one who chooses good over evil.

Have a wonderful, blessed day.

Sincerely,

Shellie

This was crazy! The reply that she sent made me so mad! How on earth can she be so cool about all this!?

A few other things I want to bring up: I think her intentions were right because she didn't want the rabbit in a small cage. Thats great. However, what she did about it was WRONG.

One other thing: i'm sorry, but rabbits aren't valued more (or equal to,) children! If you had a child, you care about it soo much more than your rabbit! This does not mean you should not take good care of your rabbit, just that your children really do mean more than the rabbits. Just a thought.

Oh my word is Shellie SERIOUSLY getting another rabbit AND doing the same thing that she did to Jack!?? What is this!?!!?!?!?

I can't believe it. Seriously, did anybody threaten her? She seems like she just needs the attention to distract from the concept that she did something wrong. She needs to admit that she shouldn't have let him loose, and get over it.

Here's my response:

Hello, I appreciate your response to the article and emails as I am part of the group that may have sent some of them. Although some may have been a little harsh, I assure you that's not the point of them messaging you. The point was to educate you (and your readers, for that matter) on animal responsibility. We are not saying that you are uneducated at all. In fact, we often complain that even our own friends and family members don't understand the complexity of owning a rabbit.
I believe you had good intentions when trying to get Jack out of that small cage--good for you. Seriously, there are countless rabbits out there living depressed lives in small cages. The thing that upsets us "rabbit people" is that you chose to release a domestic animal into the wild, and then deleted any comments made to educate you and your readers. It is not uncommon at all for people to release domestic rabbits into the wild. In fact, many of us adopted rabbits that were dumped. I hope you can see that this is just an attempt to educate more people as rabbit shelters are always full of dumped rabbits.
We are just trying to share the wonderful world of rabbits. You are obviously a passionate person; can you see how this would upset people who are passionate about the animal?
We are simply a group of people trying to spread the word that rabbits aren't just cage animals. They are lovely, quirky, beautiful creatures that deserve your love just as much as your cats or dogs.
I hope that if you *do* get another rabbit, you will take the time to research them. They aren't instantly loyal like cats or dogs--you have to work on the relationship. They also have very specific diet needs that should be learned in order for them to live long, happy lives. Did you know that rabbits should be fixed? That's another aspect that "normal" people find odd. Anyway, check out rabbits.org for more information, and search for rabbit forums to help you out.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really hope you understand that this is not an attack, but an attempt to educate more people on these lovely creatures.
Best,
Kari

I think that was a well worded, kind, intelligent and informative response Kari :) let us know if she responds to that. In my opinion, of she's as "nice" as she claims, she should be able to respond to your post kindly.

Thank you! I figured if I made us seem like the outsiders, and insinuate that she never had ill intentions that she might keep my comment. We'll see if she really is the lovely person all of her friends seem to think she is!

I will be anticipating her reply. Is it lame that she is posting pictures of her shooting rifles on Facebook. . I must say I wouldn't be scared but still

Hyatt, all life is equal, no matter how big or small. And I do love my rabbits like I love my son. I adopted them, and have committed to the rest of their lives. Just like I've committed to my son.

Rabbits have saved my life, and I feel that animals aren't "just animals".
Please don't insult me as a parent by demeaning the regards I hold all of my children in, biological, or adopted.

Bex, I'm not sure what hyatt said but FYI, she's only 12. She's just a kid herself........

Latest posts

Back