Pet insurance?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it take for them to charge your account? I haven’t gotten an email or a letter to let me know?

With Nationwide, I got an email from them on March 7 saying that the application was processed/approved and that her coverage would begin March 19. I received my packet in the mail before her coverage started. They charge my account on the 20th of each month.

Are you also with Nationwide? The first month after I applied, I was changed somewhere around $25 or so (can't remember). But the following months were only charge $12. I wish they accepted pre existing conditions. I had brought up to the rep when I applied that I was concerned about a lump that Trixie just got and he had to include it in her application. Then in order for the application to be approved, I had to provide Nationwide a definitive prognosis of the lump. I do wish I hadn't said anything because then her visit would have been covered.
Yes & me too...I think we have to be honest in the information we give them from what the lady told me. How long after so that I can use it?

With Nationwide, I got an email from them on March 7 saying that the application was processed/approved and that her coverage would begin March 19. I received my packet in the mail before her coverage started. They charge my account on the 20th of each month.
thanks!

Yes & me too...I think we have to be honest in the information we give them from what the lady told me. How long after so that I can use it?
Once the policy is in effect, you should be able to use it immediately.

I have Nationwide and my girl Phrosty just had two out patient vet visits and then 2 nights in the ICU. A total of over $2500. Nationwide reimbursed me around $700 so far. It's not great, but more than the $110 I spend yearly on her insurance. I am going to call and see why more was not covered. I know they do not cover medications, and there were a lot of those! Overall, I think it is worth it. Especially if there are no preexisting conditions.
I think there is usually a grace period of about 2 weeks that you have to wait to initially use the insurance.

Just found out that I am capped for the policy year. If she has another GI problem, there will be no coverage, unless it is from an obstruction that needs medical or surgical help to remove. Interesting how they make sure they do not have to pay out too much $$.

I have Nationwide and my girl Phrosty just had two out patient vet visits and then 2 nights in the ICU. A total of over $2500. Nationwide reimbursed me around $700 so far. It's not great, but more than the $110 I spend yearly on her insurance. I am going to call and see why more was not covered. I know they do not cover medications, and there were a lot of those! Overall, I think it is worth it. Especially if there are no preexisting conditions.
I think there is usually a grace period of about 2 weeks that you have to wait to initially use the insurance.
That is a little much but it seemed to have cover at least some. Bummer that they don’t cover any pre existing illnesses. I was told by nationwide that they cover medication know I’m questioning it.

I got my letter in the mail and was told that my medical records haven’t been sent. Which is also weird because my vet told me they sent them.

Just found out that I am capped for the policy year. If she has another GI problem, there will be no coverage, unless it is from an obstruction that needs medical or surgical help to remove. Interesting how they make sure they do not have to pay out too much $$.
Wow really! That sucks!

Just read the coverage limits closely. They allot a certain amount of money per policy year for each thing they cover. For example.. the maximum allowed for Diagnostics of a GI Stasis is $220. There is no medication coverage under Stasis. The maximum allowed for "foreign object surgical" is $475. I will probably keep mine. It is pretty cheap, and did give me some coverage

As of right now, Nationwide is the only insurance I'm aware of that has insurance for rabbits. I will pull up my policy to see what is covered because from what I was told, medications were covered as well.

That is a little much but it seemed to have cover at least some. Bummer that they don’t cover any pre existing illnesses. I was told by nationwide that they cover medication know I’m questioning it.

I got my letter in the mail and was told that my medical records haven’t been sent. Which is also weird because my vet told me they sent them.
Give them a call and ask them again. Otherwise, ask your vet to send the information to you so you can print it out and send it directly to Nationwide. That's what I had to do to ensure that it would get done in a timely manner.

It is worth the expense. However, it depends on the plan and the company. I have dog insurance, which is around $25 per month. I'm thinking of taking insurance for my bunny, but I haven't found something that will work for me. But, thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely check every company that you advise. I prefer to read people's opinions about them on websites, as I did with the healthy paws pet insurance reviews. I'm hoping to find something I like finally because I seem to search endlessly and find nothing suitable.

I'm really up in the air about this!

I confirmed with my vet yesterday that Nationwide is the only insurer that covers rabbits in the United States. Nationwide's rates went up significantly a few years ago. One reason you hear such mixed reviews about their pet insurance is that rabbits that were enrolled before the rate increase continue to be covered at the original lower rate, whereas new enrollees get charged a lot.

My previous rabbit was never sick. My current rabbit is generally well but has had a couple of bouts of GI distress. She also needs to be spayed -- an uncovered expense which will cost me $1,600 according to my rabbit-savvy vet. ☹

Here's my quote from Oct. 20, 2021 and my notes:
  • 2 available plans: #1- Reimburses 50% of covered expenses for $21.77 per month ($261 annually). #2- Reimburses 70% of covered expenses for $23.77 per month ($372 annually). Both cover up to $10,000, I think per year.
  • Includes: Hospitalization, surgery, diagnostics, medication.
  • Excludes: Preexisting conditions, wellness appointments, vaccinations, spay/neutering, boarding, grooming, breeding, taxes, medical waste disposal.

temp.png

I'm really up in the air about this!

I confirmed with my vet yesterday that Nationwide is the only insurer that covers rabbits in the United States. Nationwide's rates went up significantly a few years ago. One reason you hear such mixed reviews about their pet insurance is that rabbits that were enrolled before the rate increase continue to be covered at the original lower rate, whereas new enrollees get charged a lot.

My previous rabbit was never sick. My current rabbit is generally well but has had a couple of bouts of GI distress. She also needs to be spayed -- an uncovered expense which will cost me $1,600 according to my rabbit-savvy vet. ☹

Here's my quote from Oct. 20, 2021 and my notes:
  • 2 available plans: #1- Reimburses 50% of covered expenses for $21.77 per month ($261 annually). #2- Reimburses 70% of covered expenses for $23.77 per month ($372 annually). Both cover up to $10,000, I think per year.
  • Includes: Hospitalization, surgery, diagnostics, medication.
  • Excludes: Preexisting conditions, wellness appointments, vaccinations, spay/neutering, boarding, grooming, breeding, taxes, medical waste disposal.

View attachment 58525
Well, right off the bat it excludes spaying/neutering which you need. I would farm around for another rabbit-savvy vet with better prices if I were you. $1600 seems extremely steep, I’ve never heard anyone get quoted that expensive before. After that you can revisit the pet insurance thing.

Well, right off the bat it excludes spaying/neutering which you need. I would farm around for another rabbit-savvy vet with better prices if I were you. $1600 seems extremely steep, I’ve never heard anyone get quoted that expensive before. After that you can revisit the pet insurance thing.
I did some research last summer and all the rabbit-savvy vets in the NYC area were charging close to $1,000 minimum for spaying when you included the required preliminary work-up -- unless you qualified for reduced rates, which I don't. I was also very freaked out by all of the postings on message boards from people whose rabbits died during spay surgery so I didn't feel I could just bring her to the cheapest vet. But yeah, the one by me is very costly for spaying.

I'll start a new thread on this topic to get more insight.

I did some research last summer and all the rabbit-savvy vets in the NYC area were charging close to $1,000 minimum for spaying when you included the required preliminary work-up -- unless you qualified for reduced rates, which I don't. I was also very freaked out by all of the postings on message boards from people whose rabbits died during spay surgery so I didn't feel I could just bring her to the cheapest vet. But yeah, the one by me is very costly for spaying.

I'll start a new thread on this topic to get more insight.
Smart idea. Hope more people can help.

Latest posts

Back