Persistant Fur mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
Hi.. I'v just been wondering, Captain has had fur mites ever since I adopted him.. and they won't seem to go away despite injections.

The only reason I know he has some is by examining his coat whilst brushing, and it takes a while to find them, tiny tiny tiny little flecks, but mites nonetheless.

My vet commented the first time I brought him in to get treated that usually she never sees cases that early, because they are so hard to find and aren't causing any itchiness, dry skin, sore patches, hair loss whatsoever and usually cases brought in would be totally infested.They might as well be not there for any damage they do, but they are there so how can I get rid of them?

Jack also has them obviously since living with Captain and again has no symptoms.

They've been to the vet for injections a few times now and I poured boiling water over every inch of their cage and still the mitessurvive.

Should I try a bath or something? I dont want to use any rubbish over the counter stuff.. i'd buy some proper medical shampoo... can't think of anything else to do really except continue the injections which are having little affect.

Thanks for any advice :)

What did the vet use to treat the mites?

Usually Ivermectin has to be injected two or three times to take care of it.

When Toby had them I treated him three times and used Sevin dust (5%)in his cage and surrounding area. You have to put the bunny in another room, let the dust sit for a while, then make sure you vacuum and clean up all the residue.

I've heard you can dab a little Listerine on the affected areas to kill the mites, but I was afraid to try that. I would think it would burn their skin.

I would continue with monthly injections. Some rabbits seem to be more prone to infestation than others.

Listerine causes no more discomfortthan any other topical mite medications (which have caused severe discomfort in some cases). Ivomec injections may also cause severe burning.

Pam

one of my rabbit books i have says to put cooking oil or vegetable oil on the rabbit...i dont know about this or if itis ok to do..?..

peapoo_bunny wrote:
one of my rabbit books i have says to put cooking oil or vegetable oil on the rabbit...i dont know about this or if itis ok to do..?..
You can use mineral oil in the ears for ear mites. I suppose you could use vegetable oil, but mineral oil is probably less messy.

naturestee wrote:
peapoo_bunny wrote:
You can use mineral oil in the ears for ear mites. I suppose you could use vegetable oil, but mineral oil is probably less messy.
oh, maybe thats what it says...its been awhile since i've read it..lol:D

I would go along with Pam on the continued ivermectin treatments. You might even consider treating both buns until you get things under control.

Keep in mind that some buns can be sensitive to ivermectin and caution should be used when treating a rabbit that has never had it before.

Listerine can be used, as other have mentioned. Put it in a spray bottle. Lightly mist down their living quarters as well as the rabbit.

Mineral oil is generaly used for ear mites, but not fur mites.

Latest posts

Back