Perhaps a Two Fold Problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdith4him

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We woke up this morning to two interesting (perhaps one vet-worthy) issue.

First, new bunny is still trying to mount Junie. When they went away for their bunnymoon the woman who watched them and worked with them said she saw none of that. It's not constant, but when he approaches Junie, she hops away from him (sometimes). Not sure what to do about this. Do they just need more time to get used to each other? Is he doing this because they're in a new environment?

Second, there are funny-looking stains on the sheets in their cage. It looks like blood to me (it has a light redish tint). Pee is usually white and chalky and this isn't that. Take a look:
292338_10100196506142223_54904115_n.jpg

Both bunnies are acting their usual self this morning, running and eating, but if this is blood, that's quite a lot. I didn't see anything on new bunny (I even flipped him over briefly), but I'm just not sure what to do. Help please???

EDIT: Also, Junie's poops are much smaller than usual. She's been eating and drinking and pooping a lot, but they're a weird size for her. Is that a problem, too?

Not sure what blood in the pee looks like dried but my rabbits pee is sometimes chalky looking and sometimes rust red and occasionally bright orange. I think t differs based on what days they have greens ( still young so like twice a week) and the pellet to hay ratio they feel like consuming today. When dried it looks browned but the color of brown depends on the color of what they peed on and our fleeces are dark colored so i haven't seen that particular shade. Anyhow the point is dont freak out yet someone else may have an idea about this particular color and consider have they eaten anything different or a different quantity than usual because it could just be pee

I wonder if the mounting is newbun's reaction to Nibbles' being around.

And if it IS blood, I wonder if its Junie's, if she hadn't been mounted before. Though it looks like way too much 'blood' for that to be the case. But it made me think of the proof-of-former-virginity sheets that some cultures prize/prized.

I think it must be pee. I forgot about how their pee can sometimes be red--thanks for reminding me! Both of them seem totally fine and I can't find a cut or anything on either.

Junie's been mounted before (by Nibbles when we were trying to bond them), so I don't think it's her.

OK, one more thing:

As I was sitting with the two of them tonight while they ran around, new bunny would do this very soft grunting sound when he approached Junie. She would then run away. She's not thumping at him (which she does frequently when she's annoyed/scared/mad, etc.). Is this more of them just working things out or what?

LakeCondo wrote:
I wonder if the mounting is newbun's reaction to Nibbles' being around.

And if it IS blood, I wonder if its Junie's, if she hadn't been mounted before. Though it looks like way too much 'blood' for that to be the case. But it made me think of the proof-of-former-virginity sheets that some cultures prize/prized.

Hmmm, I don't think rabbits are like humans in that respect. :pWe've never encountered that with any new doe we bred. Sometimes after we breed we craddle them on their back forawhile and I can'tsay I've ever seen blood.

If you don't see any cuts or missing hair then it might be pee.

mdith4him wrote:
OK, one more thing:

As I was sitting with the two of them tonight while they ran around, new bunny would do this very soft grunting sound when he approached Junie. She would then run away. She's not thumping at him (which she does frequently when she's annoyed/scared/mad, etc.). Is this more of them just working things out or what?
Was it grunting or more of a soft "honking" noise? I remember before I got Honey neutered, he would circle my feet while making a very soft noise like he was courting me. Even if your bunnies are fixed, the new bunny may still be saying he finds Junie attractive and wants to be with her. But I haven't tried to bond Honey with any other rabbit, yet, so I don't know the bonding process or if this could be a possibility.

You're right, it's more of a soft honking sound. It doesn't sound aggressive (to me at least), and he's not approaching her in an aggressive manner. Hopefully Junie will start taking it as a compliment!

Latest posts

Back