Pepper goes up but won't come down!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
This is Gus and Pepper's set up. He has no trouble hopping up and down off the various levels. She, however, goes up to the top level and then won't come down! Every morning since we've had her she's been on the top shelf and I have to physically move her onto the bottom floor so she can eat her morning pellets. (She will hop off the lower shelves onto the floor, but not the top shelf onto the lower shelf.)

Will she eventually learn to hop down? Or should I modify the cage somehow?

1375052_10153278815925506_1913409450_n.jpg

Thanks!

Rue

My first thought was that there wasn't enough traction but it looks like you have towels or something on both shelves and she's willing to hop to the floor. Have you considered lowering the top shelf? I'd say add a shelf in between but it doesn't look like there's enough space for that.

Thanks, Christina. I'll consider that, though it would probably take some major remodeling to the cage to maintain its structural integrity. :p

I do have fleece blankets wrapped around the shelves, so she definitely has some traction. I'm not sure why hopping from the lower shelves to the floor is okay, but not the top to the middle shelves. Maybe because it's a smaller landing area? I have no idea!

Hubby suggests blocking the top shelf so she can't get up there, but I'd hate to reduce the size of the cage. Especially with the two of them in there. But then I worry she's not getting access to the hay/water/litter box up there.

I'll give it another night and if she's stuck up there again tomorrow, I'll try either remodeling or blocking the upper shelf. At least until she gets more confident going down (she's also not good with going down stairs or hopping off chairs or the couch either).

Thanks!

Rue

How long has she been doing this? Has she had a vet check recently? It also makes me wonder if her balance may be off or if she has any sore joints.

Oh, and nice to see you posting!

We've only had her for four days. But she's been uncertain about hopping down right from the start (ditto the stairs and the couch).

I remember when we first built the cage, Gus was a little unsure of the hop down, but he figured it out after only a few minutes (and a few raisins), but Pepper won't budge, even for treats or pellets (and she LOOOOVES her treats and pellets).

So that's why I wasn't sure if I should just wait and see if she figures it out or look into modding the cage.

It's good to be back. Glad to see so many familiar faces. :)

Rue

Well, she was down on the bottom this morning. So not sure if that means she can get down or just didn't go up there last night. :p

I'll keep an eye. Hoping she's learned to go up and down. If I have to I will, but not really excited about the idea of modding their cage.

Thanks!

Rachel

I didn't realize she was that new (congratulations). In that case I think she'll figure it out. Maybe she just really likes it up there (with another bunny around to eat pellets and poop in the litter box it can be hard to tell).

Latest posts

Back