People with pens for housing... advice for what to use for a roof?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have my downstairs guys in pens made from grid panels. Right now, they are 4 x 7 and 4x4.5. Quite a large area to cover as a roof. Right now I just have two large sheets clipped so I can pin them back during the day, but keep the bunnies from jumping out at night. They're just a tad bit narrow to fit my plan of extending the cages.

My summer project is to extend the pens out to be 5 or 6 wide. I'm trying to brainstorm lightweight options to put over the pens that I can easily flip up/ remove to uncover the pens (for cleaning and socializing etc.) I was thinking about chicken wire.. but that might be a hassle to always be lifting it up/putting it down. Right now, the pens are 2 grids high (28 inches) and there is shelving in the cage.. so I canalso extend the height of the cage. But it's easy forme to step over the 2 grid high, so might be a problem if I were to make it 3 or 4 high.

So, to summarize - what do people who have pen set ups do? It can't be permanently covered since it has to be workable with cleaning and for me to be able to be in the pens with them. But I also have little escape artists.. so has to be pretty bomb proof.

Thanks!

Tarps are great as they pull tight against the sides of the cage so no escaping especially if they are spread over such a big distance. Plus they are very cheap, make sure you get some with the eye holes in them spread evenly around the edge.

I just drape a blanket over it at night and use these things:

1230274648N2S2Me.jpg

To make sure the cage is properly ventilated and the blanket doesn't fall down.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Will definitely try what my current set up is with a few modifications. I may have to sew a sheet or two together, but I think that may be my best option. A tarp would work, but I would be worried about someone getting on their shelf and pulling it down then being able to chew it. With a sheet even if they were to get acess too it, cotton would be a lot better if it were to be chewed.

Thanks again! If I only had my trio downstairs, I wouldn't worry too much about possibly 'prison breaks' since the room is bunny proof.. but with two seperated males who are out for the others blood.. dual escapees is not good!

Latest posts

Back