PEOPLE, GET READY...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
A couple of nights ago, Tina and I were talkingand she was telling me how Apollo's molt is particularly bad this year.It's one of the worst she's ever seen. She was wondering about a way tospeed it up because she was saying clumps of hair are coming out of himin droves. I didn't have an answer for her, but would be mostinterested if someone does.

You have to wonder if this is the rabbits' way of telling us that it'sgoing to be a difficult winter. The molting of many rabbits this yearseemed to have started early and is going on and on and on.

I looked it up in The Farmer's Almanac and they're saying thatthis Winter is going to be extremely difficult. Very snowy -more so than last year's - and bitter cold.

If you've seen other animals preparing, would love to know about it. Iknow our rabbits are telling us and the squirrels are extremely busy.

Buck would be going through his routine check that all cages wereproperly sealed tight for drafts, inclimate weather, etc. He'd makesure he'd have black oil sunflower seeds in case a frost came andcontinued for a couple of days. He'd have a little extra hay and wouldstock up on the Woody Pet - just in case.

Those that use wood stove pellets, I'd advise you to go out and buy asmany bags as you can store. Because of oil prices, many folks haveconverted their homes to wood stoves and now wood stove pellets areflying off the shelves.

"People Get Ready"... to Baton Down the Hatches.

:)

-Carolyn

I can say for at least by me, all of the acornsdropped really early while they were still green which usually meansits going to be a looooooooong winter.

No input on the moulting tho .. this bunch hasnt shed a hair as of yet.

Chompers is shedding a lot right now. No matter how much I groom him, he is always looking scruffy.

They're indoor rabbits, but I still think that doesn't have as much todo when it comes to shedding. My cat is also shedding, but thankfullyhe's a short haired cat (Siamese), so it's not as bad.

As far as a bad winter....*sigh*. I was thinking the same thing, as wehad such a HOT summer this year. That's dragging on and on. It was inthe 80's the other day, in OCTOBER! Broke a record actually.

My girls haven't started their molt yet either.But now I've said something so I'm going to walk downstairs andthe fur will be flying.:disgust:

Could it be the outdoor rabbits are moltingnow because theyare moreexposed to the elements than indoor rabbits? Maybethey feel something we don't?

Lissa

I'm afraid you may be right Carolyn!It's been on my mind and we've been getting ready... stocked up on Hayand Straw, put new floor boards in the cages, fixed the barn doors...(and made sure the snowblower is working!)

My rabbits are in a barn, and lately it has looked like a snowstormwith the fur flying out there! I've been cleaning the cagesvery frequently, and brushing the rabbits a lot, but they just won'tquit shedding. Most of my girls Mini Rex won't be showablefor months! The Flemish seemed to start shedding a littleearlier than usual. (I put a big bag of brushed out/cleanedup fur in the garbage. The bag broke and the garbage menthought I killed my rabbits! There was fur all over theplace! LOL!)

Regarding the acorns, they are huge, green and falling likerocks! The way they hit the roof, it sounds like we are underattack! We have a coal stove and have stocked up on coal andwood. Everything I've seen points to a nasty, coldwinter. I want to be ready, just in case...

My girls are indoor, and not molting yet. But......

BRING ON THE SNOW

I am looking forward to a great snowboarding season, (well as good as Ontario riding could be)

Cookie's an indoor bun. He startedshedding at the end of August and it's FINALLY starting to wrap up Ithink - only his butt is shedding now. I think I've gottenenough hair off of him to make 2 new rabbits.

Nicky Snow wrote:
My girls are indoor, and not molting yet. But......

BRING ON THE SNOW

I am looking forward to a great snowboarding season, (well as good as Ontario riding could be)

Oooh! I wanna learn to snowboard! Right now I'm still a 2-planker!:)

I also wouldn't mind a couple days off work being snowed in.:)

But, as I've learned - be careful what you wish for - I had alwaystalked about wanting to get snowed in in Vermont, but when it finallyhappened, I was a little disappointed. I had been picturing alog cabin with a fireplace, not the Super 8.:p We had drivenup to go to the Winter X Games. After a long, scary, snowydrive through the mountains we were finally checking in. Iwas all excited and told the girl at the desk "We're here for the XGames" to which she said "Oh, they endedtoday.":foreheadsmack: I turned around to find Scott acrossthe lobby holding his sides and laughing hysterically!:rofl:

Last I heard the Farmers Almanac for here was along and mild winter with lots of snow. I hope it stays like that. Idon't want a bitter cold winter.

I heard it's going to be a long, hard, snowy winter too.

My buns are somewhere in the molting process. I vacuum daily and the bunny hair is still out of control in that room!

Jen

Makes me think of this joke my aunt sent me:

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their newChief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was aChief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets.When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going tobe like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winterwas indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village shouldcollect firewood to be prepared. But being a practical leader, afterseveral days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called theNational Weather Service and
asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even morefirewood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the NationalWeather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be avery cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collectevery scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later the Chiefcalled the National Weather Service again.

"Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

BunnyMom wrote:
Nicky Snow wrote:
My girlsare indoor, and not molting yet. But......

BRING ON THE SNOW

Oooh! I wanna learn to snowboard! Right now I'm still a 2-planker!:)
you gotta try it, give it 3 solid days and i promise you'll be able. any one can do it.

lol (Yard Sale)

Lucky me! The report so far for Alberta is a mild winter -- warmer than normal!

Of course, it's all relative to where you liveas to what the Farmer's Almanac says. I love mild winters and want themfor everyone if they wish, but like BlueGiants, the animals around memight as well be saying, "On your Mark...Get Set....:dragster: GO!"

I have the air conditioner on now, but the weatherman's saying that I'll have the heat on by the end of this weekend.

:dunno:

All I know is I'm loading myself up on Vitamin C and the bunnies aregoing to get extra fiber, extra grooming, and a dash of Nutrical.

BlueGiants, when it started "snowing" (with fur) in Tucker Town today, I laughed in spite of you. :)

ElfMommy: :laugh:
-Carolyn

Koda and Hopi are bottomless pits. It'slike they are trying to put on extra weight for the coming winter. Ihad to explain to them that they are house bunnies and don't need toworry about it. Christa has made herself a right dandy den out of allthe hay I gave her. I told her it won't get near that cold in here.

Between this horrendous molt, the bunns all getting ready, allthe trees have changed colorand dropped their leaves already,I am getting ready for one heck of a winter.

Dale already bought a kerosene heater and is getting a smallwood stove in case we need it. He's already stocking up on people andcritter food as well as litter.

I'd rather be safer than sorry.

Tina

WEeve had a really bad summer. We had a FEW hotdays but many cold weeks. I hope that means we'll have very few colddays and lots of warm days this winter. :D

All I know is that I hope the flu season waitsuntil after I have my baby. I cannot imagine being nine months pregnantand having the flu and not being able to take anything. Well, what Inormally would anyway.

When does the flu season usually start, anyway? I had it last year, sohoping it misses me this year. Remember how sick I was last year,Carolyn?

Latest posts

Back