Penicillin injections

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayna

Reaction score
Hi all does anyone know which penG I should purchase and the dosage and the frequency for a 13 lb rabbit to treat an ear infection. I had a pen G proc (gen) 300000u but as I’m trying to replace it I’m finding they come in different units. Any thoughts?
image.jpg

If you can get a prescription from the vet, I would want pen g procaine/benzathine injectable solution . It's the long acting one. I would give at least 40,000IU/kg every other day.
http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

If getting from the farm store they seem to only have the pen g procaine available otc. That needs to be given daily as it's short acting.
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

If working with your vet, I would also recommend considering azithromycin. I've had multiple bacterial infections going through my group of 6 rabbits for the last 3 months. After being unable to get it cleared up I decided I wanted to give azithromycin a try. Within days one rabbits URI had cleared up, anothers tear duct infection, and a week later a facial abcess on another rabbit. The only thing with it though, is some rabbits can have a severe digestive upset from it. I always made sure they had food in their stomach before giving it. Only one showed any upset and that was some cramping for one day, but it cleared up after a few hours.

it might be too late but...
azithromycin really helped for my rabbit, my vet recommended it before anything else so it cleared up the ear infection overnight before it got to any other bunnies! I think it would help more than the penG but that is my opinion!

I can order from a farm catalog. Vet isn’t really an option right now. I thought ear infection with his house mate and they refused to even check her for it. They treated them for ec even tho both test on both bunnies came back a negative. They told me ear infections are not usually seen. She passed. Now he’s shaking his head and his ears look pretty clean but he is scratching. I don’t want him to get head tilt. They both had a warble in their face last summer despite being on revolution. I’m wondering if the infection could of traveled to the ear? He has been kept apart from my other bunnies. Thank you for the advise I’m not familiar with azithromycin. I will see if I can get this.

it could travel, see how far down you can see into the ear and see if there is anything. If there isn't anything that means its at the very base of the ear wich you cant see. Try to get the azithromycin as soon as you can. I think you have a Costco there if so message your vet and see if they can get it prescribed to you through Costco. then you will have it for sure and it could be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back