Pen Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Rabbits

Reaction score
Hello

Seems like we are in similar situation as some of the other members. We have three rabbits which we were told were all females. Low and behold we woke over the weekend to find 9 babies.

I have a hutch which housed all three rabbits. A couple of days before birth my son saw the female pulling fur so we separated the mother rabbit for the other two. Currently the babies and mother are in a separate cage. The other two are in the hutch separated.

I am looking to create a pen for the mother and babies at this point. At some point I would like move all the rabbits in after we find a home for the babies, and spay or neuter the others.

Can anyone recommend a pen? It must be fully enclosed as we can not have the rabbits free roam.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and recommendations.

Oh no, but still so cute! I would go ahead and separate the other rabbits to prevent more babies, and if they are both guys they will fight. Get them spayed/neutered ASAP, and get the mom spayed after you find homes for the babies. Are you planning on bonding all the rabbits after you find homes for the babies?
Here is a great link to help you figure out your set up: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html. Here is a great playpen that would work perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H91R8S/ref=twister_B0851HGB7N?_encoding=UTF8&th=1. Make sure it is at least 3' tall so that she cannot climb over.

If you don't mind we would love to see pictures of your baby bunnies!

Hi Mi
Oh no, but still so cute! I would go ahead and separate the other rabbits to prevent more babies, and if they are both guys they will fight. Get them spayed/neutered ASAP, and get the mom spayed after you find homes for the babies. Are you planning on bonding all the rabbits after you find homes for the babies?
Here is a great link to help you figure out your set up: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html. Here is a great playpen that would work perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H91R8S/ref=twister_B0851HGB7N?_encoding=UTF8&th=1. Make sure it is at least 3' tall so that she cannot climb over.

If you don't mind we would love to see pictures of your baby bunnies!

Hi Miriam

Thank you for you suggestion. I looked at that cage but delivery will not be until April 21st. I will post picks once the are a little older.

Check on Facebook market place or Craigslist and see if there is one. It may be harder to get one off there because of Covid-19, but I would still try. What is she in right now?

That is way too small. She needs a playpen or build some sort of boundary with cardboard. Does she have a nesting box? What is her diet? Are all the babies looking ok? Here is a link on pregnancy in rabbits: https://www.thesprucepets.com/pregnancy-in-rabbits-4171961.

She created a nest for her babies in the cage so we are using that for a nesting box at the moment. I am not sure if I should
Move the babies elsewhere. Some babies are bigger then others. She is feed hay and kaytee supreme pellets. I took my daughters gym mats and secured them on all sides and placed the babies cage inside. This is the best I can do right now but I feel this may be putting extra stress on her since it is new surroundings.

Well I was typing this she just jumped on the top of the gym mats and sat there. Luckily I was able to grab her. The mats are four feet high.

Last edited:
Her diet sounds nice, but I would give her a tbs of oats to help her milk supply. If some of the babies are larger then the others I would make sure the little ones are getting enough to eat. A picture of them (particularly their bellies) would be the best way to tell. You can hold the mom and let the little babies nurse. Don't let her jump out because she can hurt herself. Can you send a picture of her set up?

Her diet sounds nice, but I would give her a tbs of oats to help her milk supply. If some of the babies are larger then the others I would make sure the little ones are getting enough to eat. A picture of them (particularly their bellies) would be the best way to tell. You can hold the mom and let the little babies nurse. Don't let her jump out because she can hurt herself. Can you send a picture of her set up?

Right now she is back in that cage with her babies. I don’t have any other option at the moment. I will take a picture and send it over.

This is the cage the babies and the mother are in. I swap he from the hutch to her cage throughout the day because I am not sure what is best. To leave her in the cage with her babies or swap her in and out.

I purchased 2 of the cages below which will allow me to make a 36sqft pen.

Attachments

• 57E4B4FD-0666-4D35-A2C3-AD27C45EA20F.jpeg
    57E4B4FD-0666-4D35-A2C3-AD27C45EA20F.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 599297C8-4E3A-4257-A1C5-71DA056A50FA.png
    599297C8-4E3A-4257-A1C5-71DA056A50FA.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 3
Those pens are a little short, but they will work. Just make sure she can't jump on something and climb out. I would keep her in the cage with the babies unless she starts hurting them. Make sure they are covered with fur to keep warm. What type of bedding is that?

I took them out and to make sure they were all okay and they all felt warm. I am not sure all the babies are being feed but they were all very active.

The bedding is Kaytee clean and cozy.

Are you sure I can hold the baby to the rabbit and help it nurse. I saw articles that I shouldn’t be doing that. Can you send me any articles regarding this?

Latest posts

Back