Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
My bun is almost 4 months should I be giving her a alfalfa based pellet or Timothy based pellet? They say for rabbits under a year give alfalfa but I think I have heard different also what are some of your opinions ?

Yes, about 6 months is generally the age to wean them from alfalfa onto timothy or other grass based pellets. If you have a larger breed like a flemish giant or similar, you could probably feed the alfalfa based pellets for a year.

I was wondering this myself. Barry is a course in English Lop so he is a large breed, I've been feeding him Oxbow young rabbit formula and it says on the bag that you do not need to feed alfalfa hay with this pellet, so he's been getting timothy hay from the beginning. I thought because he was a larger breed that I needed to feed them longer because he is still growing. He will be 5 months old October 1st and his ears are still only 10 inches long. Both of his parents ears were 21 inches long. Pretty sure he's still got a lot of growing to do.

For growing rabbits, if you're feeding an alfalfa pellet then you don't really need to feed alfalfa hay, too. A grass hay like timothy is fine. If you go with a timothy based pellet then you can feed alfalfa hay.

I have a 4 month mini rex I've been feeding Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets when she reaches 6 months switches her to Timothy pellets ? And keep her on Timothy hay?

All of my rabbits eat an alfalfa-based pellet. Currently we have bunnies from 3 weeks old to 11 years. :) They do well on it. We also feed a mixed grass hay.

Latest posts

Back