Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassieBunBun

Reaction score
United States of America, New York state; Upstate
So I just found out that our hardware store (affiliated with Ace Hardware) sells Kaytee forti-diet natural pellets rabbit food and they can not be returned once bought. To avoid getting bad pellets again, is the Oxbow Essentials actually good for rabbits? I won't be able to get pellets for so many months (I was told to just finish what I have and I have a lot of the Kaytee brand) and I don't have money to get Oxbow Essentials right away so I'm trying to do more research before I get anything else. I know the Garden Select is probably better but I don't have the money for that one.

When I went to the vet they told me to find a pellet with high fiber like 27%-30%+ I haven't been able to find any that have a 30% fiber percentage or higher but there are some that have 29% - I guess the more fiber the better. Also make sure the protein percentage is low.

I know this response might be too late, but it depends on the age of your rabbit and how well your rabbit eats grass hay. If your rabbit is a good hay eater and has healthy looking fecal balls, then not having the best quality pellets, won't be as essential. It's still better to feed a semi decent pellet though, regardless.

That kaytee pellet isn't the greatest, but it's also not the worst. It's high in protein and low in fiber, but pellets are essentially a vitamin supplement for rabbits. So as long as you balance out the diet with more fiber from a good quality grass hay, and your bun eats the hay really well, it probably will be fine to feed those pellets. Though it would be a good idea to monitor your rabbits weight and body condition, as well as continue to monitor poops, to make sure your bun is staying healthy on this diet.

Bear in mind that if you plan to switch pellet brands, it is best to transition them over a period of time. Some rabbits will reject a new food, so you don't want to switch cold turkey. Be sure you have enough of your current food left to mix in with the new food over that period of time.

Here is further info on how to transition, along with some brand suggestions.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
And on a similar note, you mentioned the cost of some of the feeds. They may seem expensive but a rabbit should be getting so little of the pellets, that a bag should last quite a while.

Latest posts

Back