Pellets over Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlePanda0

Reaction score
Does any bodies rabbit like their pellets more than the hay, I notice mines have been eating but pushing it around more than eating her hay, but goes hyper for pellets. Should I take away the pellets for awhile or is this normal because she's not really eating her hay barely at all now it's all about the pellets with her.

Agreed. My rabbits can be picky with the brand and whatnot, so I try different kinds of Timothy hay to see which is their favourite. Usually they like the second cut hay better although the first cut is better for them as it's more stalky. Also you can try adding in different kinds like botanical or meadow hay for variety. Of course stay away from alfalfa if possible. Rabbits are choosy little vegans aren't they.

How much pellets are you giving? It should be finished quickly so the rabbit has all day to be hungry and eat her hay. You should give about 10g of pellets by rabbit's kilo (my rabbit, Aki, is aboud 1,5kg and eat aboud 15g of pellets) with about 80g of vegetables by kilo (Aki eats about 100g - I give that at night, around 10 pm : considering my rabbits are the most active from 6 pm to 11 pm, it gives them time to fill up on hay). The rest should be hay. Lots of it.
It's normal your rabbit is more enthusiastic about the pellets than for the hay (think of it like giving meat and vegetables to children - they will generally eat the meat with more gusto... but the vegetables are more important ^^).
Your rabbit not eating much hay is very dangerous. If her guts slow, the pellets and hair will cause blockage which can kill her. If her teeth are not worn correctly (it can only be achieved by eating hay or grass) they will overgrow. If that happens, chances are they will move and won't be able to wear themselves correctly afterwards (which will mean having a vet cut them every 6 weeks until the death of your rabbit). All of this can happen quite quickly. It is really important you find a way to increase your rabbit's hay intake. Try other brands. Try second crop. Sometimes you will buy a hay bag your rabbit won't like. Throw it away and open another one - I don't like to bin something I bought, but 8 years with rabbits taught me that a bag of hay or two in the compost is always a lot less expensive and stressful than an emergency visit to the vet...

I understand the need to limit pellets in adult rabbits, and this is what I do with Zelda and Stewart. They get a small dish with about 2-3 cups of timothy pellets each day, and unlimited hay. I buy timothy/grass hay mix by the bale. Everyone (rabbits, guinea pigs) loves it, and they converge on it when I put the fresh hay in.

Now, I also have two rapidly growing young Flemish giants. Saoirse is about 7 months old now, Oscar is a 6 week old baby. They get unlimited pellets, alfalfa/timothy mix. They still go for the fresh hay as soon as I put it down. Saoirse likes to bury herself in it and eat the pile from the inside. I've always been under the impression that growing rabbits should receive unlimited pellets, especially if they're giant breed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

It's more important for rabbits to have hay over pellets. Even growing rabbits (with the exception of malnourished, underweight rabbits). My young rabbit wanted pellets more than hay too, and although they said to give unlimited pellets to young rabbits I limited my rabbits because it was the only way She would eat hay. She was fine, and was growing and putting on weight fine. So yes give them a small amount of pellets in the morning. Then just give them hay for a few hours, then give them more pellets.
How old is your rabbit anyway?
My rabbit is 7months old and is 2.5lbs and only gets 2 tablespoons of pellets. 1 in the morning 1 at night. This way she eats tons of hay and veggies.

2-3cups?!? Holy cow thats way to much.

Rabbits should receive no more then 1/4cup pellets per 5lbs body weight. Much less to encourage hay eating is fine too.
Even larger breed rabbits can be reduced on this rule. A 20lb rabbit really does not need a whole cup of pellets.

2-3cups?!? Holy cow thats way to much.

Rabbits should receive no more then 1/4cup pellets per 5lbs body weight. Much less to encourage hay eating is fine too.
Even larger breed rabbits can be reduced on this rule. A 20lb rabbit really does not need a whole cup of pellets.

OK... I didn't realize that was too much. They usually don't eat the whole bowl in one day anyway, it's more like every second day. But I'll measure it out instead of guessing in the future. They do eat hay as well.

I'm not sure how much Saoirse weighs, but she's still not fully grown, probably about 8-10 lb. Oscar the baby is 6 weeks old as I mentioned. I was under the impression they should be offered more when they are still growing. So how much should they be getting? I also read that growing/young rabbits should get alfalfa hay and/or pellets, is this true? Right now they get timothy hay and a mixture of timothy and alfalfa pellets.

Yes generally young growing babies can be offered unlimited however i would personally still limit them because you still want to encourage them to eat more hay. I would personally double the rule for growing buns and alter depending on their habbits. Splitting their daily allotment over 2 feedings may help too.
Adults need to be limited however.

I think unlimited pellets is only for very young rabbits (under 5 month) and only works for rabbits who know how to regulate themselves. Aki had unlimited access to pellets when I got her because she was really thin and she never ate much of them. It stopped the second I got Pandora, who would have eaten pellets all day if I had let her. It's a bit like with cats : you read everywhere that they are supposed to regulate themselves, so most people give them unlimited access to kibble - some of them do, but most of the cats I meet are morbidly obese, especially those who live inside. When I tell the owners it's always like 'but I read you have to give them unlimited kibble'... yeah, but there is common sense too... ^^'
It's really hard to make a rabbit lose weight and being overweight causes them a ton of problems so I would really reduce the amount of pellets and split them in two meals who should be consumed quickly (less than half an hour) like Watermelons suggested for those who don't eat vegetables (in this case it should be pellets in the morning / vegetables at night or the other way around) to leave room for hay.

Ok, limited pellets for adults, more for the babies less than 6 months.

Good advice! I found this summary on the house rabbits site:
http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

What are the basics of a good house rabbit diet?
A rabbit’s diet should be made up of good quality pellets, fresh hay (timothy or other grass hays), oat hay, water and fresh vegetables. Anything beyond that is a “treat” and should be given in limited quantities.

What makes a good pellet?
Pellets should be fresh, and should be relatively high in fiber (18% minimum fiber). Do not purchase more than 6 weeks worth of feed at a time, as it will become spoiled. Pellets should make up less of a rabbit’s diet as he or she grows older, and hay should be available 24 hours a day. Alfalfa pellets are fine for younger rabbits but timothy pellets are preferred for older rabbits.

What kinds of veggies should I feed my rabbit?
When shopping for vegetables, look for a selection of different veggies–look for both dark leafy veggies and root vegetables, and try to get different colors. Stay away from beans and rhubarb. Introduce new veggies slowly.

Is feeding hay important?
Hay is essential to a rabbit’s good health, providing roughage which reduces the danger of hairballs and other blockages. Apple tree twigs also provide good roughage.

What quantities of food should I feed babies and “teenagers”?
Birth to 3 weeks–mother’s milk
3 to 4 weeks–mother’s milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets
4 to 7 weeks–mother’s milk, access to alfalfa and pellets
7 weeks to 7 months–unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
12 weeks–introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

What quantities of food should I feed young adults? (7 months to 1 year)
introduce timothy hay, grass hay, oat hay, and other hays; decrease alfalfa
decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
increase daily vegetables gradually; make sure your rabbit can tolerate
fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories)

What quantities of food should I feed mature adults? (1 to 5 years)
Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, other hays including brome, Bermuda, etc.
1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight; always introduce vegetables and greens slowly to make sure your rabbit can tolerate
fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (2 TBL) per 6 lbs. body weight.

What quantities of food should I feed senior rabbits? (Over 6 years)
If sufficient weight is maintained, continue adult diet
Frail, older rabbits may need unrestricted pellets to keep weight up. Alfalfa can be given to underweight rabbits, only if calcium levels are normal. Annual blood workups are highly recommended for geriatric rabbits.

If I feed fewer pellets, how do I compensate?
When you feed a lower quantity (or no) of pellets, you must replace the nutritional value without the calories, which is done by increasing the vegetables. Also, a variety of hay must be encouraged all day long, we do this by offering fresh hay a couple of times a day.

what do yall think of these horse pellets. sole ingredient is timothy grass compressed ground. i had bought a bag, $16/40lbs comes out to $0.40/lb
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...fied-timothy-grass-pellets-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005

also bought 2 bags of timothy hay. $7 for 3lbs or $2.67/lb
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-all-natural-timothy-hay-3-lb?cm_vc=-10005

The pellets with the sole ingredients being timothy hay -- I see no reason to feed those at all. Why not just give them the real (whole) timothy hay?

The benefit of pellets is supposed to be the added ingredients in addition to the hay. The following chart shows what one should look for in a good pellet.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

This shows the percentage of fiber, protein, calcium, etc and the ratios of various ingredients/nutrients.
Unfortunately, the tractor supply pellets don't show such a breakdown - probably because it is just hay.

For buying timothy hay - the actual hay - you can buy it for much, much less if you get it by the bale or half bale. A bale can be over 100 lbs, so the price can end up being about 20 cents/lb. (for comparison).

the two 3 lb bags of the actual hay is about the same size of the 40 lb bag of pellets.

wondering if it will still provide enough roughage for their digestive system and also help keep their teeth worn down, compared to actual hay.

The pellets do not keep their teeth worn down like actual hay unfortunately. Nor are they great for the GI system. They can be used to supplement in a pinch- but I'd rather pay the extra for hay and save on the vet bills of having to wear down teeth. :)

Actually those hay pellets will still provide good roughage for the digestive tract, as it's more coarsely ground than the normal food pellets that we feed to our rabbits. It's not going to provide the exact same thing as long stem hay will. The biggest difference is that long stem hay requires a different chewing action than what the rabbit uses to chew pellets, so this does leave some possibility that the teeth won't be worn down as well as they would be with the long stem hay. If so, you may end up needing to have a dental burring done at some point. But then again you may not. You never really know with rabbits. Your rabbit may do perfectly fine eating those hay pellets.

I actually use those exact same pellets for some of my rabbits, though it is in addition to a pile of long stem hay. I use the hay pellets in addition to loose hay, as I have one rabbit that just isn't good at eating loose hay so he needs to have the hay pellets, and all the rabbits seem to like having them along with their loose hay.

It's really up to you if you want to give it a try. If I couldn't buy bales of loose hay at an affordable price and only could buy small bags of expensive pet hay, I might be tempted to try to go with the bags of compressed pellets instead. Something to keep in mind though is that some rabbits don't like these hay pellets. They are larger than the normal rabbit food pellets are, so some rabbits might find them difficult to eat. I also have a rabbit that just plain doesn't like the taste of them. But the rest of my rabbits like and can eat them just fine.

You may also want to look around at tractor supply/farm feed stores to see if they carry bales of horse quality grass hay. It doesn't have to be timothy, any variety of grass hay will do. The company that makes those compressed hay pellets, Standlee, also sells compressed bales of timothy hay, and that's what I buy for my rabbits, from a local farm store for $14 a bale. Though if you do find some to buy, check the quality. Make sure it's never been wet(no blackish/white spots that would indicate mold, sour or musty smell to the hay), and make sure it's not too dusty or has too many weeds in it. Usually the bales are good, but I've gotten some bad ones in the past.

thanks all. right now she gets about 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. I also keep her hay box full. she also gets 2 hrs in the backyard to munch on grass, although she spends most of the time laying down on the back porch.
the 3 lb bag of hay is lasting a pretty good while. i'll call around and see who has some good quality square bales.

Last edited:
How much does your rabbit weigh? 1 cup a day of pellets is still a lot.

Latest posts

Back