Pellets: every question I can think to ask about them...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I feed my two rabbits, a Mini Rex and a Californian, Oxbow BB/T pellets. I'm also currently reading Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing by Lucille Moore and am now questioning if I'm feeding the right pellets--at least to my Cali. Both seem to be doing well on them, but, still, I wonder...

The book raises a number of pellet-related questions for me, and I thought I'd ask RO's very bun-savvy members about their choice of pellets, how they feed them, etc.; so here goes:

1) What brand of pellets do you feed your rabbits? (Please specify the rabbit breeds discussed, and clarify if you feed different pellet brands to your various rabbits.)

2) If you feed timothy-based compressed (non-extruded) pellets, do you worry about the possibility of mycotoxins?

3) Why do you feed this/these particular pellet brand(s) to your rabbit(s)?

4) What daily pellet ration do you feed your rabbit(s)?

5) Do you feed pellets once daily, or do you split up the daily ration into two feedings (e.g., an AM and a PM feeding)?

6) How long do you feed a particular bag of pellets? (Some sources say to toss a bag after one month; in her book, Moore states that pellets' nutritional content begins to break down after 3-6 months' time.)

7) How do you store pellets? (Do you keep them sealed in their own bag, a sealed container, or even a sealed container with air holes in it [for "breathability], etc.?)

Although the answers shared may garner more questions, I think this topic may prove an illuminating conversation, since so many things regarding rabbit nutrition are more anecdotal than anything.

Thank you,

Jenk

1) Korr and Amelia get Oxbow BB/T. Korr is a 6yo neutered mixed breed and Amelia is a 1.5yo spayed Lionhead. They are bonded and get about 3/8 of a cup per day.
Lillian, Tesla and Kraken get Masterfeeds (a local feed store brand). Lillian is a 3yo spayed Giant Angora, Tesla is a 1yo intact tan and Kraken is a 17 month old intact tan. Lillian is on this as she needs the extra protein (it's 16%) for her wool. The others are both intact bucks and are more active, so at the moment I feel they need the higher protein. They each get less than 1/2 a cup per day, if Lillian gets more she gets excess cecels. I am working on reducing the amount for Tesla an Kraken though as they are now indoors and won't be breeding, I have only had them for about 2 months now, so it's a work in progress.

2) Don't know what those are, so no. I should probably find out though.

3) Korr and Amelia do very well on the Oxbow and Korr has been on it for about 4 years now. It is easily available and a good price. I do like it compared to some of the other stuff and it tends to be a bit cheaper as well. The Masterfeeds is one of the few feed store brands I can find easily and it works. I have tried Martin's and didn't really like the long term effects of it, so don't feed it anymore.

4) Korr and Amelia get about 3/8th of a cup between them a day. Lillian is about 1/4 or 1/2. Tesla and Kraken as a bit less than 1/2, but I am reducing them down a but. Korr weights about 4.5 pounds, Amelia is about 3.5, Lillian about 8.5, Tesla about 4 and Kraken a bit more than 4 (he is a tad heavier than Tesla).

5) I feed twice a day, in the morning and before I go to bed. I try to do about the same each feeding. If there is some left form the previous feeding, then I may give a bit less.

6) I feed until the bag is empty. The 10 pound of Oxbow lasts me about 10 weeks. The 50 pound bag of Masterfeeds lasts about 6 months, but I am using more now with the tans, so will have to see about how long it lasts.

7) For the Oxbow, I put some into a plastic container and use that on a daily basis. The rest stays in the bag and is sealed and put into a plastic bin to keep it from being eaten by the bunnies or dogs or something. For the Masterfeeds, I put it into large ziplock bags and store those in a big plastic bin. I also have a container for day to day use.

1) Ty, Star, Popcorn, Wallaby, Kokomo and Buttercup all get the Oxbow Bunny Basics Timothy Pellet. Ty is a 4 year old Dutch (Intact male), Star is a 3 year old Dutch (Neutered), Popcorn is a 3 year old Dutch (Neutered), Wallaby is a 3 year old Canadian Plush Lop (Neutered), Kokomo is a 4 year old Dutch (spayed) and Buttercup is a 3 year old lop mix (Intact doe).
Jabberwocky, Willow, Peace and Babbitty get a mix of Oxbow and Masterfeeds. Jabberwocky is a 1 year old Belgian Hare x Tan (Intact Buck), Willow is a 6 year old Mini Lop (Intact buck), Peace is a 1 year old Belgian Hare (Neutered) and Babbitty is a 4 year old Holland Lop (Intact buck).
Flynn gets the young rabbit alfalfa Oxbow pellet. She is a 5 month old intact doe.

2. Well, I know a breeder that lost her entire herd and she suspected this might be the cause, but it's not a feed I feed and I suppose it's just a chance you take. To be honest, I do not know how to detect it before you feed it (Can you?). I just try to make sure there is nothing abnormal in what I feed.

3. Vet recommendations and experience with the feed.

4. I'm bad, my buns get free fed... But with agility, they do burn more calories/energy then most rabbits.

5. Like I said, if the bowl is empty, I put a bit in it.

6. A bag of Oxbow generally lasts around 2 weeks while the Masterfeeds lasts a couple of months because I do not give it to them very much.

7. For the Oxbow, it stays in the bag that can be sealed but I dump the Masterfeeds in a large storage bin.

1) I have currently 3 pairs and 1 single on Oxbow timothy pellets. Most of them are healthy buns, with 1 who had bouts of stasis from time to time but hasn't had any in awhile.

The breeds are as followed:
Pair 1: 2lb lionhead, 4lb angora mix
Pair 2: 5lb holland lop, (?)lb Mini Rex
Pair 3: 6lb Otter Mixes
Single: Jersey Wooly

2) No, I don't worry about Myxcotoxins because as far as I am aware there hasn't been any reports on them recently, especially in Oxbow food supply.

3) Oxbow has the highest fiber and lowest protein analysis of other pellet brands, which IMO, makes it the best. It also has no corn. It does have soy however, but I can't afford to feed 8 rabbits Oxbow Organic.

4) Each pair gets 1/4 cup as a pair. A single rabbit gets 1/8th

5) I feed my pellets at night.

6) No longer than 4-6 months as long as they are stored fresh.

7) They are sealed in a plastic container :)

1) What brand of pellets do you feed your rabbits? I have two pair of rabbits. One pair is both mini lops, 3 years old, male and female, both fixed. The other pair is angora, 1 year, male, fixed with a mini satin, 5 years, female, fixed. Both pairs get 1/2 cup Oxbow BB/T. The angora gets an additional 1/4 cup portion of the Oxboxw forjuvenile rabbits.

2) If you feed timothy-based compressed (non-extruded) pellets, do you worry about the possibility of mycotoxins? No because there's no way to guard against it. All I can do is buy the best food possible.

3) Why do you feed this/these particular pellet brand(s) to your rabbit(s)? I use oxbow because it has fewer junk additives and it was recommended by my vet. The angora gets the juvenile kind because he needs extra protein due to the wool. He also tends to hop around a lot and is rather skinny so he needs the extra pellets where his bunwife is chubby, but she is slowly loosing weight to get to normal.

4) What daily pellet ration do you feed your rabbit(s)? 1/4 cup each BB/T, 1/4 cup to the angora of oxbow juvenile in addition

5) Do you feed pellets once daily, or do you split up the daily ration into two feedings (e.g., an AM and a PM feeding)? AM for the BB/T, angora gets the extra pellets with dinner. His mate likes the greens better so this way she doesn't get the high protein pellets. He finishes before she's done with the salad so he gets greens as well.

6) How long do you feed a particular bag of pellets? (Some sources say to toss a bag after one month; in her book, Moore states that pellets' nutritional content begins to break down after 3-6 months' time.) I get a 50 pound bag at $1/pound. I use it until it is finished. It takes 5-6 months. The juvenile kind I get in smaller bags, but it still lasts a good while.

7) How do you store pellets? (Do you keep them sealed in their own bag, a sealed container, or even a sealed container with air holes in it [for "breathability], etc.?) I have a supply in a popcorn tin that you see in stores at Christmas time for easy access. The rest stay in the bag with the top taped shut. The bag is in a cool, dry spot.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I get a 50 pound bag at $1/pound. I use it until it is finished. It takes 5-6 months. The juvenile kind I get in smaller bags, but it still lasts a good while.
I must know: what is your secret to getting the 50-lb. bag of Oxbow pellets for $1/pound? I've viewed Drs. Foster & Smith's website and found that the company charges $65 for a 50-lb. bag of Oxbow pellets. (I figure you're not buying them from Drs. F&S. ;))

I have two fixed rabbits and don't suspect that they'd get through that large of a bag within 6 months' time; the 10-lb. bag is likely more sensible for my and my rabbits' needs. Still, I'm curious to know how you've scored that price deal. :D

Thank you,

Jenk

1) What brand of pellets do you feed your rabbits? (Please specify the rabbit breeds discussed, and clarify if you feed different pellet brands to your various rabbits.): Purina Fibre3 bunny chow

2) If you feed timothy-based compressed (non-extruded) pellets, do you worry about the possibility of mycotoxins?

3) Why do you feed this/these particular pellet brand(s) to your rabbit(s)? My bunnies have had problems with staiss etc. and need as much Fibre as posible.

4) What daily pellet ration do you feed your rabbit(s)? Free access for Ripley, and 1/4 c. for Taffers

5) Do you feed pellets once daily, or do you split up the daily ration into two feedings (e.g., an AM and a PM feeding)? once a day for Taffy, Ripley always has a constant supply

6) How long do you feed a particular bag of pellets? (Some sources say to toss a bag after one month; in her book, Moore states that pellets' nutritional content begins to break down after 3-6 months' time.) About 3-4 mo.

7) How do you store pellets? (Do you keep them sealed in their own bag, a sealed container, or even a sealed container with air holes in it [for "breathability], etc.?)Outside in a tin can that latched shut inside the shed.

I feed Pen Pals 18%. I'll have to look up specifics later. I love this brand, my rabbits love it, and they look fantastic on all of them. I feed unlimited pellets, and I have Fuzzy Lops, English Lops, Harlequins, flemmie and a champ.

I never want to switch. Once you get rabbits in great condition and then switch.. it defeats the purpose.

I leave them in the bag and they sit in the back room.

Latest posts

Back