Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elf Mommy wrote:
Glad you started a new one! Can't wait to see the first photos. :D

Minda
Photos...uh...yeah. I'll try to get some soon.

Maybe. :biggrin2:

First of all - I swear that the feed store is going to be the end of my life with Art....I keep wanting to bring home not only rabbit food - but rabbits too. I was really good today - I went alone and was marking in the ears if the rabbits were girls or boys (I just use a marker) and they had the cutest little CHOCOLATE lionhead (single mane - so probably 1/2 lionhead) doe.....I mean - for a doe - she was a sweetie. She acted like a buck..she was so people-friendly. I was told later that this batch of rabbits was brought in by some kids who had raised them and all the bunnies had names, etc. I came so close to bringing her home....I seriously considered it for 30 seconds. For those who don't know - my biggest weaknesses in lionheads are the brokens - and the chocolates. I knew in my heart of hearts though - that I have enough (more than enough) already and that this little girl would be perfect in someone else's home....where she could get lots of one on one attention. So I put her back. (I did cry when I left the feed store).

They also had an older buck there in the top cage - he reminded me a lot of our Jenny. He wasn't a sweetie though....still yet, I am hoping he gets a good home - he's just a basic black rabbit who will probably be fairly good size.

Darla-mouse is so cute. I told the feed store to call me when they have an empty cage and I'll bring her back for them to sell her. She quite literally can SAIL out of her 1 NIC high pen...with the greatest of ease. Of course- having Gloria on the other side to chase her back does tend to keep her confined sometimes. We brought Darla up on the bed today for some pets - she allowed that for about 3-5 minutes and then took off onto the floor to do some looking around. Its going to be hard taking her back - but in my heart of heart - I really feel like she's meant for someone else and I just had to keep her from breaking her back due to being so skittish. Now that she trusts people a bit more...she should do better.

By the way - I mentioned Liberty in my last blog - how she came down with wry neck, etc. - I couldn't tell what caused it (usually there's been a case of bad ear mites before wry neck in some of the others - or I could tell there was an ear infection). I've been really worried about her as she was barely eating - although she was drinking good. She did try to eat some - but she refused the syringe (well - it was a real fight).

Well- today I got her some parsley and she's just been eating it up. While I know this is a lot for her - I gave her about 5 stalks and she ate most of it. I'm going to keep my eyes open for both diaherrea and gas - but I felt like it was important that she eat as much as she could...I have meds to help with gas, etc. and the canned pumpkin she's been getting can help with loose bowels.

Anyway....I just thought I'd share that...for now.

JadeIcing wrote:
How is Liberty today?
When I put Liberty in her pen last night so I could go to bed - I was a bit worried about her. I felt like she was just very discouraged with her conditions right now - I was afraid she was giving up on life. You know - you can have a rabbit that is making a recovery - but if they don't want to live - they will give up...if they feel it is too hard or whatever.

I was encouraged though because she'd eat a LOT of parsley and had a ton of teeny tiny poops. I wasn't worried over the fact they were so small (almost like a baby's poops) - I was just thrilled she had a number of them. It meant she was keeping from going into stasis which she did NOT need with all that is going on.

I brought her up on the bed this morning with the pad underneath her so she can't pee on the bed....and gave her some parsley. She's been chowing down on it for quite a bit. She forces herself to push backwards against a pillow so she can sort of sit up and eat on her own. She doesn't want my help - she wants to do it on her own.

So I guess she is doing somewhat better. I think she may be like New Hope was - permamently disabled (vs. Minnie who can run and play - just with a tilted head). What amazes me is what a lovebug she has become. She gives me kisses on the hand all the time - unlike how she used to charge me and bite at me. When she hears me walk into the room or hears my voice - she tries to turn to be closer to me.

Now for a couple of other bunnies. Did I tell y'all that Splash disappeared for a couple of days? She's wasn't really gone - we just oculdn't see her. I knew she was ok though because I put a food bowl up high for her - and when I'd go in to see if she ate her banana - it was always gone. Yesterday she decided to come out of hiding and even let Robin near her to pet her for a bit. From what I've seen (I'm going to capture her today) - her ear mites are gone. I'm sitting here at my desk and the garage door is open with a baby gate up to keep the dogs out - and I can see her sitting on the floor looking around - and it looks like she's trying to figure out what mischief she can get into....

Also - Miss Bea....she's learning her routine....get locked up at night with a treat and her antihistimine if she's stuffy.....get let out in the morning with a treat. When she saw me walk in this morning - she came and sat by her door - as soon as I put the banana in there she looked at the door and decided to scarf down the banana first. She seemed really happy though - like she's understanding what the plan is - and she seems to like having a cage with food of her own and her own water bottle at night so she doesn't have to eat with the other girls.

Now I have a challenge for each of you reading this - if you're married. Art & I have been having a bit of a difficult time lately. It just seems like we were always ready to snap at each other - seeing the worst in each other....criticizing each other. I've been trying hard to stop my own attitude and focus on treating him better....

Anyway - this morning he got ready to run to Walmart and he said, "I think this is what I'm forgetting..." and he came over and gave me a long hug. As I hugged him back - I told him that so often I miss "us"....that its like we get angry at each other or we get busy and we forget that together we are special...we complete each other. (Blame it on Zin's song over in the off-topic area - she made me watch the stupid video and I realized then I could continue to be upset at Art or I could work on the good things instead of focusing only on the bad).

So my challenge to those of you who are married? Find a way to connect with your spouse - find something good about them today. Maybe it will be a hug....or just some kind words. Maybe it will be just rubbing their shoulder.

But find some way to reconnect with them - even if you've had good connections! I bet it will make your day go better....

I'm about to head to bed but I have to share....Billy Sunny has been out of his cage today for about 90 minutes. He had a blast...we let him run around in the living room/dining room while the dogs were outside. I suspect he's going to sleep a deep sleep tonight....

He would come up to me and nudge my legs....I was so surprised. He really is very affectionate.

Art & I were joking about how he's as affectionate as Puck but Puck was "hell on wheels" almost - he had such an "I can conquer everything" attitude.

I suspect my husband is truly a lop bunny fan.

I'm thinking about letting Harley run and play tomorrow while I'm home.....he's such a cutie.

Oh - I couldn't take any pictures - Art forbade me from taking any pictures of our horribly messy floor....perhaps after we get the living room cleaned and organized....

I'm almost afraid to ask... but... How many rabbits do you have? Are all of them in your avatar? I never could figure out a number... :?

kherrmann3 wrote:
I'm almost afraid to ask... but... How many rabbits do you have? Are all of them in your avatar? I never could figure out a number... :?
As a former breeder - I have a huge herd (almost as if I was still breeding). Several of the rabbits I kept because it turned out that they had maloclussion and I could not trust that if they were rehomed - someone would take them to the vet to get their teeth trimmed or trim their teeth themselves. Others were kept for various other reasons.

I have a community of girls that live together on the rabbitry floor - they are free roaming in that room and they have a decent size space outside where they can play several hours per day on a good day. To rehome them into a place where they will be caged just doesn't seem fair to them since they've grown up living together and they all have their own various "best friends" and stuff. Do they have tussles sometimes? Sure - but with a 12' X 12' room to run around in - complete with three huge dog pens (one of which has a shelf), about 6 or 8 empty open cages to hop up into (some are on a shelf) and a nice shelf area to hide under - the tussles last for under a minute usually before another doe will stop the argument.

All of my rabbits will not fit in my avatar....no. Sorry....I can see why that would be hard for you to know everyone.

Anyway - as far as how many I have....I'm sorry....but I simply won't share a number....why? Because what may seem like "too many" to one person might be reasonable to someone else. We have three people here taking care of all the bunnies - to clean cages, feed, water, give hay, etc. Robin sweeps the rabbitry floor every night from the girls since they're not all litter trained (I am going to be mopping it today too). So what I can handle is probably different than what most people can handle.

I will say that at this point in time - I'm not looking to add to my herd. I do hope to get Ori from Zin sometime (we still haven't been able to coordinate schedules) - and I do so often see cute bunnies. But honestly - unless it was a rescue rabbit that needed a place because it is due to be euthanized.....or an ill rabbit that I could help - I'm not bringing in any more rabbits.

Several of my rabbits are getting older now - hitting 4 years of age .....and I want to keep my life free to enjoy them more.

Sorry that I didn't give you a clear-cut number....but I just don't give that number out to folks because I know there would be some who would be very shocked. Yet - when you have three people taking care of them - it really isn't as hard as it could be....

Ali - since I know you & I have a big heart for wry neck bunnies - I thought I'd update you on Liberty (and also a couple of others).

First of all - Wedge. You can tell he has wry neck - but just barely. He's getting much stronger and putting on weight. He loves to mount Hepburn who has moved back in with him since he wasn't doing so well all alone in a cage. The two boys love to mount each other and make grunting noises. There isn't any fighting which some might find surprising.....although Wedge does seem to be the most dominant one.

Barry - who most folks might not remember - we adopted him from the feed store since he was going to have a chronic eye infection - then he wound up with wry neck. Well - he's about to get moved back to his cage later this week as he's going crazy cooped up in a pen. Right now he's playing in our master bathroom with the door shut. He has put his weight back on.

Liberty...just sat in my lap for 15 minutes and ate cilantro while I held it. Then she gave me kisses for about 5 minutes - all over my hand - then went to my wrist and my arm. I was petting her at the time and it was like she was trying to groom me since I was grooming her. She has become such a sweetie....and she's sitting up better and her eyes look like she's getting her confidence back. My only concern is the weight she's lost....she won't eat babyfood/pumpkin .... and she's not a big fan of cheerios (which really helped New Hope keep his weight on). However, she's eating cilantro and parsley like its going out of style...so I'm hoping if I add some carrots and spinach - we'll get some weight back on her.

Its so hard to believe that I used to be afraid of Liberty - I would literally dump her food in her bowl as quickly as possible as she'd charge me and growl. She was second in meanness - only next to Minnie....who by the way is running around and has a full life - she just sees things a bit "tilted" now.

Anyway - since I know Ali was concerned about Liberty...there's an update!

:biggrin2:

Well - its my 10,000th post and I thought I would wax (no so eloquently I'm sure :biggrin2:) about the changes in my life from my very first post.

When I first came to the forum - I saw my animals as "pets"...they were there to entertain me and bring joy to me. I suppose in a way - that is a good thing....at least I didn't see them as a nusiance. But I had expectations of what they should be like...I wanted Tiny to be like Apollo - a very loving flemish on this forum. I wanted Miss Bea to not be a witch.

Back then - the forum was much smaller - especially compared to now. As I've shared with others....back then coming to the forum was like going to a small dinner party. Carolyn (the original moderator) met everyone at the door and welcomed them in. Many of the regular members introduced themselves - and asked for more information. They made you feel special as they'd ask about your bunnies or your life or whatever. It seems like Carolyn replied in almost EVERY thread and I know there were times she would call people to help them out. I'm guessing that there were maybe 50 people that were active on the forum at that time - if that much. They were a close knit group and yet always willing to welcome one more.

Since then - the forum has changed in a lot of ways - mostly good. We now have a special infirmary section (and mods to watch over it) so if you need help immediately - hopefully you can get it. We have a section for breeders - a section for rescues - and even a place for blogs. I think our library is OUTSTANDING and I go to it all the time.

We've become much larger though - almost like a frat party at a university dorm. We gather around in different areas and chat - and it seems like every day we see new members added - both human and bunny.

As I look at the changes - both in me - and in the forum - I am reminded of a few things.

I try to not come to the forum with expectations anymore - not of my bunnies - and not of other people. I thought Tiny would never grow to love me - instead he became a cuddlebun. People I thought I'd never like because they might irritate the dickens out of me - I've grown to care about them. I've learned that people - and bunnies - will sometimes outperform our expectations....if we're willing to let go of them.

My life with my bunnies (and with people) is only as good as I make it. If I want to enjoy them - I need to sit down with them and play. Its the same thing with the forum - my life on the forum is made up of what I'm willing to put into it. Sometimes its good - sometimes its not.

Most of all - I think I'm reminded that I'm a far far better person now - thanks to some of my favorite buns.....and my favorite people.

So thank you Tiny, GingerSpice, Puck, New Hope, SugarBear, Pow Wow, Hyacinth and so many others who have gone on before me. I cherish in my heart the lessons you taught me.

Buck Jones - I barely knew thee - and yet - you taught me so much. I go back through your old posts and cry...how I miss your wisdom.

Thank you to Miss Bea, Isenstar, Minnie (the doe from Hades), my Calis, Billy Sunny, Harley, Audrey, Saphira, Harriet and so many others for every day we have together. Some day we will part - but for now - we have this moment.

And to those of you on this forum - thank you for all you've added to my life. I'm a better person because of all you've said and done.

And now - because I could not decide which one I liked the best - you get all four collages I played with making in honor of this 10,000th post.

[align=center]
10000thpostcollagefourthview.jpg

[/align]
[align=center]
10000thpostcollagesecondview.jpg

[/align]
[align=center]
10000thpostcollagethirdview.jpg

[/align]
[align=center]
10000thpostcollage.jpg

[/align]

That post was really nice to read, your a really good post writer lol, I always enjoy reading your long posts in your blog, even if I don't comment on it, I just don't really have anything to say.There is just somethingabout the way you write.Happy 10,000th post and may there be a million more!

That really was an awesome post...well worth your 10,000th! I agree with you about the feel of the forum, then and now. :)

May we all have more rabbits to touch our hearts and souls!

Minda

Thank you for writing such a wonderful 10,000th post for us to read!
Boy, I sure love Tiny's HUGE ears!
(Have you considered taking your collages to the printers to be blown up into posters?)
Thanks again, for your dedication to RO.

Great new blog Peg.

I always love reading about you and your Bunnies.

Love the collage. Thanks for putting the picture in with Tiny's Easter Bonnet (ok I should have said hat), it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

Susan:)

Happy 10,000 Peg...and what an absolutely perfect post for the occasion! And here's to another 10,000, as you share your wisdom and joy and love - and your beautiful bunnies - for all to enjoy. I echo your sentiments about Carolyn; she has been missed...and I hope you know just how much of a blessing you are to Rabbits Online as well. We are all so fortunate to know you. :hug:

(P.S. I do have something small to send to you, if I ever stop procrastinating I'll get it dropped in the mail for you...:biggrin2:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Love the collage. Thanks for putting the picture in with Tiny's Easter Bonnet (ok I should have said hat), it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

Susan:)
Susan,

I think just about every collage (if not every collage) of Tiny - has a picture of him with his hat in it. Its one of my favorite photos and one of my favorite memories.

That boy HATED the hat....I'll never forget him picking it up and throwing it at me (well - trying to throw it at me). Or he would just give in and let me put it on his head and then stare at me with these big mournful eyes.

The memories of him with that "bonnet" mean so much to me - I was looking at it the other day and eyeing Zeus and thinking of Easter coming up....

Tee hee hee...

:biggrin2:

irishbunny wrote:
Can I ask what happened to Carolyn?
Carolyn is still on the forum - she is just not very active.

Honestly - the forum has grown to the point where it would be far too much for any one person to handle.....how Carolyn did it as long as she did still amazes me.

Carolyn was very very close to Buck Jones and when he passed away....I think it took a lot out of her. She stepped down as moderator and when she did - it took a whole team to attempt to replace her.

You can find out more about Carolyn here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11857&forum_id=14

Latest posts

Back