Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gabby is REALLY cute - much cuter than she looks in those pics. WC isn't bad either....for some reason I can't connect with him like I do the others.

I love the feed store - I walk in and its "Hello Mrs. Flint...how are you today?" or "What can I do for you today Mrs. Flint" or whatever. I mean - they use your name with all of the regular customers....and they know various things about the customers and will ask about a person's dog or the last hunting trip or my bunnies or whatever.

When TSC (Tractor Supply) announced they were coming to Del Rio - I mentioned it to Justin and asked him if he was worried. He was like, 'Nah...you ever gone into a Tractor Supply and had customer service? You have to hunt someone down just to get them to say 'hi' to you" - and that is so true here in SW Texas.

But at our feed store - they make sure that every customer knows they're wanted and appreciated.

Anyway - enough rambling about the feed store.

Oh - except to say that Gabby's even been known to say "Howdy Mrs. Flint" when we're in Walmart or some other place and she sees me.

Its just part of who they are....

Today we treated all the girls on the rabbitry floor for ear mites - for most of them - it was preventative - for some - they had mites. Five of them are getting some additional treatment (Pen G) because of obvious infection that was starting. I have been meaning to treat the girls for about a month now....I try to do it on a regular basis but got behind.

Anyway - Maggie is one of the girls I treated and I took some pictures of her...thought I'd share them here:

Maggie020709007.jpg

Maggie020709011.jpg

Maggie020709013.jpg

I also call her "Maggie Mae". She's a single mane lionhead - I bought her and a mate back in 2006 but wound up thinking I'd get out of breeding and I didn't get her bred before she was too old for her first litter. Yes - she is magpie (for coloring).

Hope you like the pics...

I just wanted to drop in and leave you some cuddles.

Sadly Peg left me a message that Minnie Pearl passed away. Art and Robin did what they could but it was just her time.

Some memories of Miss Minnie:

Miss Minnie is most definitely becoming a snuggle bunny. She got her shot and then slept on the bed with Robin & I there treating other bunnies. She gave me tooth purrs and only got upset when I put her back in her pen. I'm seriously considering holding her again tonight in my arms when I go to sleep....we shall see.

----------------

Minnie and I snuggled a bit earlier. I think I did more snuggling than she did.....but oh well. She slept with us for a few hours last night- mainly 'cause I fell asleep petting her.

-----------------

Minnie Pearl's story is sort of special to me. I bought her for all the wrong reasons - was scared of her - and yet my fear of losing her made me overcome some of my fears - and then - fell in love with her.

Minnie has the nickname of "Doe from Hades" or "That Doe from Hell" because she was not only cage aggressive but aggressive. She'd kick, bite, and do anything she could to tear you up if you picked her up or moved her. Open her cage and she might charge you.

Last year she became ill and one day she was really REALLY bad. Art wasn't due hom for several hours and in talking to a friend (Randy - ra7751 on the forum)- I realized she needed sub-q fluids. I had them - but Art always gave them.

I think I was all alone at the time - I prepared the shot - used a towel to catch her - and gave her a shot. Poor thing - she was so sick - she couldn't even fight me.

A couple of hours later - I gave her more sub-q fluids.

Honestly - she was barely moving - she was so dehydrated and ill. I didn't think she'd make it till Art got him.

When I went to give her the third shot - she bit me. HARD. Once I got the shot in her - she got on the floor and hid from me - flicking me off the whole way to the hidey spot.

A couple of weeks ago - she got moved to the bedroom...where we learned in the process of moving her - that she'd become a bit of a snuggle bun...most of the time.

Here she is today - playing on the bed. The videos I'll upload later....I'm about to go in Lord of the Rings Online (LoTRO) to spend time with Art & Eric & Robin as a family.

But for now...here are the pictures..

DSCN5078.jpg

DSCN5083.jpg

DSCN5080.jpg

DSCN5077.jpg

Her eye looks bad - it gets a bit crusty sometimes and I have to take a damp cloth to it....
-------------------------

Miss Minnie we will all miss you. You were one of a kind and your mama will miss you.

I'm at the hotel (I fly home tomorrow night) and have about 2 more minutes left of my computer time here...due to a 10 minute limit.

We've lost 7 rabbits since I left for mom's place...it started with Minnie Pearl...then Girly Girl. Matilda/Nancy passed away next. We thought we were done (there were health issues with each one) - but then we got what appeared to be a bad batch of food....and have lost Liberty (my second doe from Hades), Barry (the mini rex we rescued from the feed store), Marmalade and GC.

I'll share more later - I'm about out of town. Its been a rough time though - between dealing with mom ... and all the bunny losses too.

I talked w/ Randy today though about the food and we hope we've fixed things.

I miss y'all.

Thinking of you Peg, sorry for your losses.

x

I'm going to post this here so y'all can know what is happening.

I may be taking a break from much of life for a few days....I don't know. Either I'll use the forum as a distraction - or I won't be on.

My visit with mom did not really go well for me. Mom and I fought some of the time - to the point that I almost left early.

My mom is too lucid to accept help or recognize that she needs help. She gets up every morning and cleans the cat litter box (if he's pooped), makes her bed, gets dressed, eats and cleans her house. She is a better housekeeper than I am and said she should call my doctor because I must be the one going crazy since I don't take care of my house...or because I can't remember the name of someone I see about once every year or two when I go home.

Her doctor (who is a Physicians Assistant really) can't give mom medication without her seeing a neurologist...which she is refusing to do.

While I do have power of attorney - mom has to be declared medically incompetent for me to be able to use it. She is not at that point yet.

Unfortunately - while mom does much of her routine stuff and doesn't have any "dangerous" behaviors....she doesn't have much short term memory and is paranoid about a lot. It was hard to be up there because I frequently had to repeat stuff to her and I would get frustrated.

Right now - between the stress of visiting mom - making the trip - and losing 7 rabbits while I was gone - I'm pretty much physically, mentally and spiritually exhausted.

To those of you who have called - emailed - posted on Facebook or in here or in another thread - I want to say "thank you". It means a lot to know folks care....it truly does.

I think I just need some time to pull myself together right now though....I thought I was coping ok with my losses - particularly of Minnie and Liberty - but I'm not doing well at all....

I'm so sorry it was tough. Illnesses like these are horrific, for all involved, not just the sufferer.

Thinking of you Peg. Poke me if you want/need anything.

x

Latest posts

Back