Peeing on the couch!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunmommy

Reaction score
Help!
How do I get my bun to stop having accidents on my couch? He is litter trained for the most part, in his cage at least. But every chance he gets to hop up on my couch, I have 30seconds to get him down before I have a mess.

It makes it hard to let him run free in the house if I have to constantly check if he's on the couch. I bought a second litter box that I will be setting up at the foot of the couch and see of that works.

Any advice would be awesome because my couch water stains and all my cleaning has made it look just horrible :(

1401418668019.jpg

Help!
How do I get my bun to stop having accidents on my couch? He is litter trained for the most part, in his cage at least. But every chance he gets to hop up on my couch, I have 30seconds to get him down before I have a mess.

It makes it hard to let him run free in the house if I have to constantly check if he's on the couch. I bought a second litter box that I will be setting up at the foot of the couch and see of that works.

Any advice would be awesome because my couch water stains and all my cleaning has made it look just horrible :(

Purchase some vinyl at a fabric store. Cover the couch with it when he is out running. Or get a plastic tarp which is a fraction of the cost and bought at Walmart. :bunny24

You can't stop it. Bunnies LOVE peeing on soft things. I've learned the hard way to always keep my bunnies off the bed and couch!

The only thing that stopped bun jovi from peeing on my sons couch was moving into a new home and getting a previously owned sofa from my daughter that had dogs on it lol. She never did it again after the move and new sofa. Before that though we kept one side lined with a pee pee pad and she learned only to use that.

yep you cant stop it... so prevention is the best...
Boomer is forbidden on lounges and beds... he still tries his luck but the rule around here is if you were not watching the bunny or you let him on the lounge or bed then YOU have to clean it up and wash everything.... now everyone always keeps an eye on Boomer when he is out and about and if you cant watch him then you tell someone else to or put him back in his cage.
Boomer is litter trained too. but when it comes to soft things like the lounge or bed he just cant help himself sometimes.

Hey
If you have him neutered he will stop marking his territory this way :)

Neutered or not, rabbits seem to find couches and beds irresistible, for one major reason. They are covered with our scent, so our buns just feel the need to add their scent to it as well, and stake their claim, so to speak. With some buns, they can be worked with to change the behavior, but for most rabbits you just have to find ways to deter or outsmart them.

The suggestion to cover the couch with a waterproof cover, is a good place to start while you figure out how to change your buns behavior. A plastic shower curtain is also a good covering. I would also suggest placing a litter box up on the couch(temporarily), or a pee pad if your bun won't chew on it. Then practice. Provide your bun with lots of opportunities to be up there with you while you carefully watch and supervise. Watch for signs your bun is going to pee(squatting, tail raised) and whisk him to the pee pad or litter box. Once he is consistently using the litter box/pee pad to pee, then you can try moving it to the floor near the couch and see how he does with that.

Thankfully, my bunnies learned pretty easily that the couch is not a place to pee. Whenever I caught them peeing on the couch, I'd immediately soak it up with a paper towel and place it in their litter box (so the scent was there instead), and clean the spot with vinegar to get rid of their scent as much as possible. It seemed to work. :)

Dimi peed on the couch all the time, and on ME! She'd huddle up next to me, and let it rip. She stopped doing that after she was spayed. I know some do continue, but the spaying stopped that behavior for her.

Rhea is disabled partially with her back legs. She can not get up from a laying position to walking. She is ten years old and has arthritis. I googled and found on youtube the man that build a walker for his cat with same problem. I am going to measure Rhea, and go tomorrow to Home Depot and buy the pvc pipe, glue, and wheels. I am going to use a reusable shopping bag for the sling part. Total cost should be around $20. Has anyone ever tried building one of these. My husband died in Feb this year. I do know how to use the pvc cutter, drills, saws etc. I guess I am a country bumpkin. Just wanted to know if anyone ever made one of these. Looked pretty easy to do.

Never made one. I've never had a disabled animal, but I think it's a very cool idea. Post lots of pictures, I wanna see!

Nope-that does not work for any male whatever it is: rabbits, cats, etc. Wish it did.

I know how to post replies, but how on God's green Earth do you start a new thread??? Looked all over this website and no instructions. I find that odd. Maybe I need a magic wand of something?:magicwand:

Redfeather54, Go to the top of the page where is says Articles Forum Photos Rabbits Video. Click on Forum. That will take you to the list of forums. If you scroll down a little, you'll see such forums as General Rabbit, Nutrition and Behavior, etc, etc. Click on the appropriate one. At the top of that page, on your left is "new thread". Click that, give it a title and start typing!

Neutering will probably help greatly. My bun Silver use to dig on my bed, and then always pee a few seconds later. This would happen every time he was in my bed so I would put him away for a few short minutes an not let him come up again on the bed for a while. Eventually, after I did this enough times, he got it has not peed on my bed since.

Oh he is also not neutered yet! I plan to do that soon.

Latest posts

Back