Peeing on my bed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunbun19

Reaction score
hi guys so I got my 7 month old bunny spayed 2 weeks ago which has all gone fine except for I’ve noticed that when she is outside her cage she will only wee on my bed in the exact same spot so I’ve been putting waterproof training pads on my bed and she’s still doing it multiple times a day along with her poos. I also use the training pads to line the bottom of her litter tray so I’m not sure if I’m confusing her or not, also any advice on how to get my bunny to stop chewing my carpet

hi guys so I got my 7 month old bunny spayed 2 weeks ago which has all gone fine except for I’ve noticed that when she is outside her cage she will only wee on my bed in the exact same spot so I’ve been putting waterproof training pads on my bed and she’s still doing it multiple times a day along with her poos. I also use the training pads to line the bottom of her litter tray so I’m not sure if I’m confusing her or not, also any advice on how to get my bunny to stop chewing my carpet, she is litter trained like when she is in her cage she will only poo and wee in her litter box, I was thinking of putting another litter box outside her cage In my room, any advice would do, it’s starting to stress me out, almost thinking or rehoming her that’s how bad it’s gotten

Last edited:
Have you washed everything in your bed, even the mattress. She might still smell the urine from before. Which makes her always come back.

Chewing, I would give my bunnies a lot of different toys and also buy a carpet made of hemp or carpet/ fleece blanket she can play with.

Myself have a doe that chew carpets, but as long she have her fleece blanket to play with. She leaves the carpets alone :)

Place a litter box in the room, when you are sure she stop going to the bed. You can take the extra litter box away.

You can also wait a while longer to after the hormones calm down, it will be easier to litter train her outside the cage.

Have you washed everything in your bed, even the mattress. She might still smell the urine from before. Which makes her always come back.

Chewing, I would give my bunnies a lot of different toys and also buy a carpet made of hemp or carpet/ fleece blanket she can play with.

Myself have a doe that chew carpets, but as long she have her fleece blanket to play with. She leaves the carpets alone :)

Place a litter box in the room, when you are sure she stop going to the bed. You can take the extra litter box away.

You can also wait a while longer to after the hormones calm down, it will be easier to litter train her outside the cage.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve tried to eliminate all smells of previous urine but she still goes back there, I don’t understand

She have made the bed as your litter box, it’s quite common. All 3 of my bunnies had that habit in the begging. Many rabbit can smell our smells on the bed, which makes them also want to mark. Then the bed is soft, many rabbits love going on soft materials.

So it’s very normal for a bunny to go in the bed. Took ages to teach my indoor bunny to not go on the bed or couches.

She have made the bed as your litter box, it’s quite common. All 3 of my bunnies had that habit in the begging. Many rabbit can smell our smells on the bed, which makes them also want to mark. Then the bed is soft, many rabbits love going on soft materials.

So it’s very normal for a bunny to go in the bed. Took ages to teach my indoor bunny to not go on the bed or couches.

How did you teach them not to go outside the litter box

I restrained the bed for two months, so my bunny learned where they could go in the house and it became natural for them to run to the litter box.

Then I let them come up on the bed short periods of time, while I’m watching. Slightest signal of peeing or pooping, can be before they even do those. I placed them on the ground and they had to run to their litter box instead.

After sometime my bunnies learned couches and beds are not a litter box. But all bunnies act differently and sometimes what work for one bunny won’t work for another bunny.

One of my bunnies I was forced to have a litter box on the bed for a while. Then moved the litter box next to the bed, then he stopped.

Hey, my rabbits have done this so many times and I think Hermelin is right, they can smell a lot of scent on our pillows so they go there to mark their space... or sometimes with mine, to send a message :p

I've found my buns do this especially when I neglect cleaning their litter box for an extra day or when one of my buns was new to the house it happened a lot. One of them did it for a week or so after he was neutered...and I think that was hormonal.

They both tend to indicate when they're going to by scratching at the sheets first, so usually, this is when I intervene and take them off the bed.
If I have the energy during the night, taking them to their litter tray and placing them in there instead is good.

What I also do is put some plastic or chicken mesh on the bed during the day so they don't enjoy walking on it. at night if they jump up I immediately have to wake up and put them off the bed. (some sleepless nights required, but that's just because I don't pen them up at night)

I think the most important thing is always removing them from the bed until they learn not to be there. Then also whenever you notice them using their tray at all give them a treat or pat to reinforce the good behaviour.

For one rabbit I also found making their litter tray more accessible helped... one of my rabbits needs a night light to encourage her to go to that room.
She also responded better when I put more hay in the litter area for her to eat.

One of my buns only pees against the pillows, I think she likes backing up against them. so I make sure I take them off the bed during the day, this has stopped her from doing it and she just happily hangs out up there now.

I find also when they pee on things (and they have on the couch too!) ...if I spray the sheet or pillow with white vinegar immediately or also before i wash it and also put a bit in the rinse cycle it seems to work better at removing the smell. I've also used diluted eucalyptus and lemon.

Good luck and if you're consistent it should take less than a week :)

Latest posts

Back