Peeing male desexed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackhunt1974

Reaction score
I have a male and female both desexed. They have their own hutches inside and are often let out to roam the kitchen. The female is more dominant, they get along very well. The male continually pees in front of the females hutch. I have put extra litter boxes on that spot, he pees next to them. I am at my wirs end with this rabbit and his pee, it sprays up the wall, on my blinds, its everywhere. Any suggestions?

It is in reaction to her presence. The "Poop and Pee Wars" is a very well-known and exhausting phase of the bonding process for rabbits. If you are not planning on bonding them and continuing to house them separately with rotated free-roam, this may or may not dissipate overtime as he continually gets used to her. If you do decide to take the time to bond them (can take a couple weeks to months, and no guarantee for success), the excessive marking will stop since he should feel comfortable sharing space with her, meaning that urge to mark and get his scent everywhere is no longer applicable.

For information on rabbit bonding, see these various sources: Bonding Bunnies , Bonding Archives | BinkyBunny , Bonding rabbits together - WabbitWiki

He been desexed for over 6 months and when they roam around the kitchen they are together, they groom each other and snuggle, i think they are bonded, they dont fight.

When you say "they have their own hutches inside", are you housing them separately? From that snippet, I assumed these are two rabbits who have no access to each other aside from perhaps pen bars. If they are truly bonded rabbits, they should not be housed separately from each other, ever. If you are doing it because you cannot trust them together unsupervised, then they are not bonded at this point.

What John Wick said. If they are being kept apart in separate hutches,, except when you let them out together (and they get along well during that time together,) that would be the likely reason he is doing the peeing and spraying. He's getting overly excited to be reunited with her after being separated. If you were to finalize the bonding and no longer separate them, it's likely this will all stop.

Ahhh, ok, will have to house them together then, will get onto that ASAP. Thankyou, i appreciate the advice.

Latest posts

Back