pedialyte

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
I just need to know how long can it last unopened and refrigerated.

I just found out that my girl gave our rabbit some pedialyte from the last time Penny was sick. This was close to 2 months ago.

ok I just checked mine. I bought it a few weeks ago before Sooty was suppose to have surgery and it expires dec 2009, and i bought it about 1 month ago. So i would say you are ok.

The expiration date is only if its not opened.

"Refridgerate and use within 48 hours of opening" <-- on the packaging.

okiron wrote:
The expiration date is only if its not opened.

"Refridgerate and use within 48 hours of opening" <-- on the packaging.I have used pedialyte on my buns months after the initial opening. It is basically sugar water.

I'm researching online to maybe figure out WHY it expires...but I suspect it's the the balance between sweetners and electrolytes changes with the addition of more oxygen.

One suggestion I have found, though, is to freeze it in ice cubes. Here's what I found (and I'll put the source):

"Hint: Pedialyte can be placed in ice cube trays and frozen. The frozen cubes can then be placed in a freezer bag with the air removed. Then you can take out a cube and thaw it at room temperature as needed. Do not microwave the cubes as the solution is altered by high heat."

From this Yahoo Answers Question in the answer from someone named "Jessica".

So, there ya go. I wouldn't trust the product if it says it expires like that...I've got an 8yo daughter, and haven't ever tried to give it to her past that 48hr mark. You should also be able to find it at drug stores in single (human) serving sizes, to try to avoid the irritating idea of opening the big ol' bottle, only to have to throw half of it away. :)

Offspring2099 wrote:
That's probably what raised the alarm in my heads.
I have to ask...you have more than one?? Is there something we should know about you??? Hehe...

Oh...and I just realized...I totally read your title wrong...you said UNopened...

:embarrassed:

I used Pedialyte on the ratties before, then left it in the fridge after the 48 hour mark and gave a little bit to them every now for the next month as a tiny treat...since it still smelled like grape.

I am not sure if it still had the electrolytes in it, but they sure did love to drink a little bit for the flavor...and it didn't hurt them.

Latest posts

Back