Pebbles Head Tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prayers-2.jpg

How is wee Pebbles today? I saw Alicia's picture of all her buns praying and freaked out for a second because I thought the worst had happened. Cute picture, but scared me half to death! I will continue to pray for Pebbles.

Yeah, for some reason my first reaction was that the bunnies were crying, not praying!

Oh no! What terrible news! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this....

I hope Pebbles is doing ok on the medicine.... how is she today?

You guys are in my thoughts....

:hug:

Jen xx

Stan,i know with all your love and caring...Pebbles will get through this just fine i'm sure.

I'm sending Pebbles lots of well wishes

Cheryl

Gosh Stan, I'm so sorry to here Pebbles is Under The Weather.

I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery.:pray:

Susan:sickbunny:

:weee:

Thank you all for your continued well wishes. :hug:

I know all your bunnies are praying for Pebbles Alicia. I still need to bunny nap Teresa.

I was out most of today helping out (taking pictures) at a Rabbit Display for the Canada Day Celebration. All the rabbit people there are breeders, and they told me I should of called them when Pebbles had Head Tilt. They would of helped me. I never thought of it. :headsmack

Anyways, Pebbles is showing signs of getting better. She is alert, active, and flicking her feet at me when I let her out in the run. Just as I say this she runs into a post a little disoriented. :rollseyes

Her Head Tilt is not as much as before, but still evident. Her poops are getting bigger. I think she is taking advantage of me hand feeding all her favorite foods. :hbunnysmell:

It's not 48 hours yet, but sheis improving!

Jan, Pebbles loves the medicine. :p It is banana flavored, but it is so hard to squeeze the tiny amount that gets stuck in the tip of the syringe. I still wrap Pebbles up in a towel (bunny burrito) just in case. I have to bring Pebblesto you for a visit.

Stan

Yay, I'm so glad Pebbles is already improving! Way to go, little bun! Do you have any pictures of her to share?

Stan so glad to hear that Pebbles is responding.. HATE to read that one of OUR buns gets Head tilt (scares me silly)... Please keep posting updates and if you change any meds as I'm sure it will help one of us in the future..

Fingers crossed and prayers being sent for Pebbles and you.

Julie and Baxter! (along w/TBone the cat but begrudingly :?)..

No changes that I see today. Her head is still tilted as yesterday. Maybe I will wait a few more days before calling Doctor Steele. There is enoughantibiotics for the next 2 weeks.

She did get poopy butts this morning. I'll have to ask my wife how muchvegetables she gave Pebbles before going to work. (WhenPebbles eats too much greens shegets poopy butts.)
She is alert. Every time I walk by or check on her, she gets up and gives me that "I'm Hungry" look. (Probably expecting a treat. :p)

I tried to hand feed her some hay, but she would pull it away and toss them aside, then come back to me and to give me bunny kisses.That's one thing that troubles me, is she is not eating anyhay. Looks like I will go out and buy some Alfalfa Hay and see if she will eat that. She is eating the oats and alfalfa pellets I give herand leaving the other timothy pellets behind.

The unopened Critical Care, canned pumpkin and an extra tube of Nutrical is on hand. So there is lots of things I can feed Pebbles.
Eve posted, " I don't use a syringe, I just mix the powder withhot water and make it into little balls," forthe Critical Care she feeds Layla. I never fed Critical Care before, but have been thinking there must be a better way of doing it. Would it work if I used a turkey baster or a squeeze bottle to push food into a rabbits mouth?

The baster or the bottle is probably a good idea. Feeding it by syringe can be a pain because I've found that formula recommended by Oxbow is too thick to fit through even the biggest syringe. You might also try mixing it as suggested on the packaging and then putting a glob of it on the end of the spoon. Amber would take it this way even when she was really sick.

I'll be thinking of you and Pebbles:pray:

Matt

hi Stan,

I've had luck with squeezing difficult meds to take through a needle syringe watered down a bit...of course with no needle on it. You have to pack it down and it's kind of a pain, but it works like a charm. Would avoid the baster only because I'd be afraid of getting too much in her mouth all at one time. Sometimes when it comes out, it can come out in a blob and wouldn't want it to cause her trouble.

Any chance of mixing it with some peanut butter or some treat she loves?

Sending thoughts of love and good health to your baby, Stan. Will continue to pray. She couldn't be in better hands than yours.

:pink iris:Carolyn

Another Thought: There are large bird feeding syringes that some pet stores have in the bird dept. If you get a bigger one, you can cut the tip so that you have a wider opening.

If you do try to to water it down to put in the syringe, sometimes it makesa difference if you let the water sit for a bit so that it gets through the med a bit more

GOOD LUCK! I'll be thinking of you and the Little Love!

Pebbles continues to improve. If not for the Head Tilt, she would be very much herself. There is lots of poops (on the smaller side) and she is peeing regularly. I think she is avoiding the hay, because she is filling herself up with the extra oats and alfalfa pellets. She is turning up her nose to her regular Martins and Oxbow pellets, but when it comes to treats, Pebbles still goes crazy for them. I give her Nutrical just to be sure she gets her nutritional supplements. Right now she is munching on some fresh crispy Bean Sprouts.

Some really good ideas have come up about feeding Critical Care. I just want to be prepared should I ever need it. I always haveCritical Careon hand but never had to open the package. The last package, I gave it away before it expired. And the one I have now is good till 12/09.
For syringes, I have all the sizes. :p The largest one is 2 oz (60 ml). :shock: That size is larger than a shotgun casing. :foreheadsmack:

But when I hear Jan or Cheryl squirting food up the wall and roof or in their sons face, I want tolook for a better and gentler way to put food in our babies.

Bunnydude, with all this fretting about feeding Critical Care, Pebbles would probably eat it off a spoon. I know she licks the syringe when I give the medicine.

Carolyn, yes a baster would be too large, especially for Pebbles delicate mouth. Even the Ketchup squeeze bottles with the pouring tips would be difficult for the small amount of food you would feed.

If I do mix Critical Care, I would use warm water and let it sit for the mix to firm up.
But you gave me a great idea about cutting the tip for a wider opening. My idea is to take the smallest syringe (1 ml) and cut the tip right off so you only have the barrel and plunger left for feeding. This way there is no squirting or pressure behind the tip, but you can still push food into a rabbits mouth. Haven't tried it yet, but will let you know when I experiment with it.

Jan, I will wait another day to see how better Pebbles get. But I hate whenweekends come around when most Vets are closed. I have to get some more Bean Sprouts for you.

Stan

Latest posts

Back