Pebbles Head Tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Pebbles!I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm glad to hear that she is doing better.:pray:

Stan, I usually use a lot more water for Critical Care than the package directions say. I think almost twice as much, I just play around until I think it looks thin enough. The package directions are ok for making mush balls for bunnies with sore mouths to eat. It's easier to syringe when it's thinner although I do still have the occasional blockage in the syringe.

Also, will she eat veggies? You can spread Critical Care on a veggie leaf for her to eat. It's not much but that little bit ofextra nutrition does help. That's how I would get Luna to eat more after her molar grinds and when she was in stasis when I first brought her home.

Oh Stan, I am sooooo happy to hear Pebbles is doing so well - you are such a good bunny Daddy! And she is no fool - why have boring things when you can eat treats :D. At least she is eating and pooping, which is the main thing.

Good girl, Pebbles, you just keep on improving :)

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Good girl, Pebbles, you just keep on improving :)- why have boring things when you can eat treats :D.
Jan, with all the oats and alfalfa that Pebbles is pigging out on, she has gained weight. :shock:

Pebbles continues to get better. Her head seems totilt a few degrees to the left, and you would hardly notice it if you didn't look for it. I think she should be fine for the weekend, so I won't call up the Doctor until next week.

I am so fortunate to have all of you encouraging Pebbles to get better and sharing all the ideas about Critical Care. I never had to use Critical Care, but when I do, I should be a pro at using it. :D

What with the sad Dill news, I'm so glad that Pebbles is getting better. Way to go, little girly!

Im so glad to hear our girl is doing better!

For critical care, I also use way more water than is recommended, and Ive found that baby syringes made for human babies work better than most of the ones the vet has given me.

Pebbles continues to be well. She has no problem with her head movement and is holding her head high and stretching for her food. :D

The slight Head Tilt is still there, maybe that may take time to finally heal. She is still on her medication and she takes so willingly. She is picky about her foods. She eats lots, but will select her favorites and toss the rest.

Thanks SnowyShiloh,I wish there was happy news for everybody.

KatyH, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Haley, Baby syringes, I'll have to check that out when I'm in the Baby section of the store. :)

That's great news re Pebbles. All sounds like an improvement :D

The tilted angle of her head could improve over time.My Lara had a severe angle with her tilt. It improved a lot during treatment but she's been left with a slight tilt still. Her head drops more to the side when she's asleep/relaxing. She likes to have support on that side still - so uses her bunny mate Hops as a leaning post :biggrin2:eek:r finds something to rest her cheek on at chin height. I know you said the tilt is only a few degrees, but you might notice some similarities here. I wonder if our headtilt buns would benefit from acupuncture to help with the final bit of the tilt, as I've heard many a good report about rabbits and acupuncture for motility issues.

Hopefully the pickiness about food will pass as she continues to recover. Maybe there's some dizziness left that puts her off some of her foods. As long as her weight is staying about the same tho she should be OK.

Re her meds, if she's on Panacur make sure she has the full 28 days. And if she's on antibiotics then best wait until her symptoms are clear before withdrawing, as you don't want her to go back on them for a good while. That's fab news that she takes her meds willingly - GOOD GIRL!

Thank you for the welcome ;)x

Pebbles continued to be well the last few days. The only thing I could see was when she held her head tilted eating from her dish. She still picks out the alfalfa based foods and leaving the timothy products behind. But she has gained weight from the oats and Nutrical.

This morning, her headwas slightly tilted again. :(She had poopy butts too, and I had to wash her bum. The medication is suppose to last 14 days, but I am running out of it today (day 9).The medicine Doxycycline is a thick goopyliquid that has to be refrigerated and half of that is wasted in the tip of the syringe. So I phoned the vet had them order some more and I would pick it up laterat the pharmacy lab.The lab gave me extra medicinebecause I told them I didn't have enough the first time.

Right now, Pebbles is running in the pen, playing catch me if you can, as I try to scoop her up, to let my other bunny Bebe have some run time.

When the 14 days of treatment is done, Pebbles will go back for a recheck at the vets.

I'm so happy the hear she is feeling better! I seen this post for the first time and I was like freakin' out, I love little Pebbles. She's so gorgeous and I'd hate for something to happen to her. And I hope she continues to feel better.

:pray:

Pet_Bunny wrote:
This morning, her headwas slightly tilted again. :(She had poopy butts too, and I had to wash her bum.
Hiya,

I do hope Pebbles picks up again soon - poor bun. She sounded like she was doing really well.

Has she had any steroids or NSAIDs (i.e. Metacam)? They can really help with tilt as they reduce inflammation. Steroid injections, followed up with Metacam once my Lara had had the full course, stopped my Lara was spinning/rolling. If it stops that then it ought to really help with the tilted head.

Also, if she's not on probiotics already (Bio-lapis/Protexin or Avipro Plus, something like that) then try to add this to her diet. This should help with the stomach upset.

Hope that helps :)

Good luck x

Im so glad to hear her tilt is getting a little better. I wonder if its the meds combined with the extra carbs thats gving her poopy butt? Will she eat hay? Remember to keep her extra hydrated if shes having runny poops at all. I always make it a point to syringe 1-2 ccs of water after I give any kind of meds, helps "wash it down" and hydrate a little extra :)

Praying for our girl to get well soon!

I have had to deal with those syrupy thick meds that need to refrigerated . Babette was on azithromycin syrup.

I actaully thought that all that syrup from the med being flavored could increase GI upset.

She really should be on a probiotic like benebac..did your vet talk about that at all.

Thanks XxMontanaxX, Pebbles is perking up. :)

KatyH wrote:
I do hope Pebbles picks up again soon - poor bun. She sounded like she was doing really well.
It was just that one day (Wednesday) she had the set back. Tonight she was running and blinking around the pen, chasing me and tugging my pant cuffs. I think she is healed. :D
Sunday should be her last day of medicine, but I have the extra bit left over, so I will continue to medicate Pebbles. On Monday, I will phone theclinic and make the appoint with the rabbit vet Dr. Steele. :?

LuvaBun, I have to cut down on the greens, or not feed as much at one time, which I think that leads to poopy butts. I am cutting back on the alfalfa, and her weight has stabilized. ;)

Angieluv[/b], the second batch of seems thinner and flows better, so it syringes easier. Pebbles poopy butts only happens after she gets her greens, and never happens after her medicine which isgiven twice a day. The vet that checked Pebbles recommended yogurt to help balance her stomach, and I chose not to use that. :?

Haley wrote:
I always make it a point to syringe 1-2 ccs of water after I give any kind of meds, helps "wash it down" and hydrate a little extra :)
Haley, that is a good idea. Pebble loves her medicine. I have been syringing extra water trying to wash out the medicine stuck it the tip of the syringe. Pebbles doesn't mind the extra water either. :agree

Pet_Bunny wrote:
It was just that one day (Wednesday) she had the set back. Tonight she was running and blinking around the pen, chasing me and tugging my pant cuffs. I think she is healed. :D
:yahoo:

You have no idea how happy and relieved I am to hear this. :hug1

sas :bunnyheart

Latest posts

Back