Peapoo & Petey have been moved...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
I hate it...but....as of yesterday Peapoo andPetey are officially outside bunnies:(... i was forced to move them outyesterday. They seem to be doing ok out there... they are letout of their hutch in the afternoon when we are home... ive froze a fewwaterbottles and have been putting them in there for them...also theyare in the shade most of the day...Peapoo likes being out inthe run and does tons of binkies and bunny500s... Petey doesnt like theheat and tends to stay in the hutch until it starts getting later andcooling down... anyway is there anything speciali need to dofor them outside? anything i need to watch out for?

I dont know the anwsers to your questions, but Phinn is moving back outside soon too.

I wish I could keep him in, and as much as me and my parents love him, with him not using his litterbox, it just wont happen.

He is really only going to be outside for the summer, and brought in atall bad conditions. He gets a 5' X 4' run to make up for it though:D

I know what it's like to have to keep themoutside and I know that longing to have them inside. Now mine havealways been outside but I can't wait for the day that I move out andthe bunnies come inside.

Anyways, other than making sure they have lots of shade, ventilation,time out to play, and lots of things to keep them cool, that is prettymuch all. Oh and a clean cage is very important! You need to be extravigilant to problems and this is why the cage needs to be clean, youneed to monitor poops and such which is hard in a dirty hutch. On topof that, a clean cage doesn't attract flies which is good if you wantto avoid fly strike. What I do is take a water/vanilla mixture andspray it on the cages daily to make it smell pleasant and it keeps theflies away. I do a daily check of them all to make sure nothing iswrong, I am extra careful to check their bums and back end and if theyget a messy bum, I either clean it or take scissors and snipanddirty hair away. I also keep and garbage cans and mess faraway from their cages.

Oh and I'm assuming you have a box for them to hide in, that is a must so they can get away from anything that scares them.

Other than that I can't think of much, I'm sure you take good care ofthem outdoors! If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it.:)

I can't believe that you had to move peapoo and petey out!!!

make absolutely sure that nothing (predators) can break in and get to them

Where I live their are a lot of cuterebra flies so go over themcarefully and make sure that they don't have a bot fly larvae which youwould find as a small hole in a tender area on the bunny..you'll haveto do this a lot

check them often for fleas

keep them cool

clean their areas better than you ever had before to keep any flies from laying eggs around them or in them.

wait for the day they can come back inside.

thanks for the advice everyone...its greatly appreciated!

i still cant believe i had to move them out..after a yr having them inmy room its just terrible! i never thought it would be so hard...theyrejust right out the door but they seem so far away...looking forward tothe day when they can come back inside! which will probably not happenuntil i move out:(

I always find this site the best one for what outdoor rabbits need:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/rabbitsneedsecs.htm

In my experience of keeping my girls outdoors for nearly 6 years themost important thing is good housing -a large, weather-proof,predator-proof hutch and run are essential. Then make sure that yourbuns are always away from the elements, in the summer I keep my girlsin the coolest, shadiest part of the garden with plenty of cool thingsto lie on/against. Covering over the hutch and run with fly nets cankeep flies away from your buns, also spraying rabbit-safe fly repellentsprays around usually deters them.

Also don't worry too much about having them outside, once you becomeused to it it will be fine, personally I love having my girls outdoors.I'd much rather go sit with them outside andget some freshairthan sitting indoors with them where they usually justsleep!;)

Everyone else has given grand advice, but I justwanted to add that as well as making sure that predators can't get in,also make sure that the rabbits can't get out.

I know that sounds obvious, but rabbits can be little Houdinis whenthey want to be, and I'd hate for you to lose a bun because it escapedsomehow.

thanks for the advice.. i might try the fly net idea because the flies are bad in the summer here..

peapoo and peteyare more relaxed outside now..petey actuallycomes out of the hutch and runs around now..peapoo loves playing in thedirt (shes not a white bunny anymore:)) ..

for now we temporarily have a tarp tied to the top of the fence so thathawks couldnt get in, but im going to have to get a more secure coverfor it because of Petey..yesterday he figured out that he could jump upon top of the hutch and now thats his favorite place to stay.. the topof the hutch isnt far from the top of the fence so eventually hecouldget out...tomorrow we're supposed to go look at coverfor it:)

Latest posts

Back