peanuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland

Reaction score
Hello everyone I haven't posted in a while. I'vebeen really busy with kids sports, shows and new babies. Anyway, myquestion is about peanuts. We have hollands and our newest doe had alitter of four on the 11th. I checked them on the 12th and I thoughtthey were okay, even though they were tiny! Maybe 1&1/2" at thebiggest and they all had a round spot on the top of their head. Areally good rabbit friend of mine who has helped me with everythingsaid she though they may have all been peanuts. This doe is tiny. Sheweighs 3.04, and she will be a year old in June. The lady I got herfrom said this was her first litter. Would it be okay to rebreed. Howlong should I wait, and should I find a bigger buck. The daddy weighs3.4.

We have just started with in the last couple of months for our daughters to have show bunnies for 4-h.

By chance didyou take pictures of the babies, its hard to say if they were penuts or not, did any survive ?if so could you please postpictures if you have them ? rebreeding can takeplace anytime after 2 weeks as long asthe mother is healthy and hasntpulled excessive hair , from whati have read Pam saysHollands are having a bedgo this year withBabies'

No I don't have any pics. All four of them died.I don't think she pulled excess amounts of hair. I had one other doethat had a peanut, but she a litter of 8. I was just wondering if it ispossible for all of them to be peanuts. The doe is out of Campos Ringo,and the buck was out of K&K Ray. They are both small. The doewas 3.04 and the buck was 3.8.

the round spot on the head brought to mind maxfactor babies...some will have a "soft spot" on the head. Iknow hollands (generally?) don't have max factors butmaybe...

they weren't too small--the parents weren't. You can breedthe doe back now. it would be good for her, dry up her milkif there is any left and she will me most conceptive soon after havinga litter. I hate it when first-litters die--it happens WAY tooften and for sometimesseemingly no reason. that ispossibly why.

hope you have good luck next time!

hello.

I'm pretty sure I read some place that peanuts tend to die within thefirst hour of birth. So your new borns must have not been peanuts atall. If it was your does first litter at 1 years, she may have been tooyoung, nervous and un-sure of how totake care ofthem.Did you build a nest box for the doe? Was there apossibleentrance in which wind could have frozen them.

I remember my Nuggi's first litter had also died. One of them was apeanut, having weak limbs compared to the body. The other one's leg waschewed off by the mother, who probably mistakened it to be theumbilical cord. However, now she had her next litter of 5 kits! allsurvived.

I suggest you wait a month till she gains her energy. Also, a biggerbuck may be dangerous. Some big bucks may get violent and could breakher back bone during mating.

Im sorry for your loss, Wish you and your buns better luck.

Lizabeth , Walking Mushroom , Holland :

neither statement is necessarily true, somePenuts can and will live to be 14 days old, Had you read back posts which iposted I had one that was a week old whenthe mother killed it , itwould have maybe lived a few more days onits own had the Mother not inteviened , Lizabeth,Walking Mushroom Please Check your factsbefore posting , make sure they are correct.

Holland : sounds like with a first littershe just wasnt prepared for babies ,if she pulled a good amountof hair she has a good start atmothering , If they were penuts it mayonly be a fluke and the nextlitter should be ok But! I amwaiting for Pam to see this andOffer her Advice , She helped me agreat deal when i had gonethru this same ordeal .

Thanks for that correction Gypsy. Myapologies for that mis-information. I must have read some false facts.However, every rabbit is different, and the chancesofsurvival really depends onconditions of environment, genes,and maturity in motherhood.I assure you the chances in hernext pregnancy is far greater because of maturity and I wish you,Holland much luck.

Although, heres a site with quite some detail (and cute pictures)on peanuts I didn't see earlier:

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Dwarfs.htm

Ok, sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Wehad a show Sat. and our buck(dad to babies) won two legs.(yeah!!!)Anyway, she was out of the drafts actually it was 60 to 70 degrees whenshe had them. I'm really hoping that it was just because it was herfirst litter. I've heard it's suppose to be better to rebreed 72 hrsafter, but since I have another doe that I'm going to breed at the endof the month (first time mom) I wanted to do it the same day. This ismy first year, showing, raising, and breeding hollands, so any info. aslong as it is correct I'm really greatful for. That's why I was so gladto find this site.

I know all about The Nature Trail website. I go there often for info, and I've also asked her several questions.

Holland : Pamis the best one to talkto She raises andshows Hollands , AndaJudge forshows , when indoubt ask Pam ! Sheis the Best!!

Latest posts

Back