• Peanut

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Runt

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Elbee10

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new here. I would appreciate your opinions on if our little mini-Rex is a runt or peanut. The baby is not yet a day old but as you can see much smaller than his or her siblings. He is a great walker and has a strong suckle. Hoping he is a runt

Thank you!

Lisa

Attachments

Elbee10

Reaction score
Also I have attached him to mom and he has a strong ferocious suckle.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It could possibly be a peanut but it's hard to tell from the photos. Indications of a peanut are bulging eyes and head, small ears set further back on the head, underdeveloped hips and hind legs. If it is a peanut, they usually don't survive past a week.
http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/peanuts.php

majorv

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards it being a runt, but it still doesn’t mean he will make it...only time will tell. Just make sure he gets to feed each time. Sometimes the small ones get pushed away by the others if there are very many.

Elbee10

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards it being a runt, but it still doesn’t mean he will make it...only time will tell. Just make sure he gets to feed each time. Sometimes the small ones get pushed away by the others if there are very many.
Thank you for your response!

Elbee10

Reaction score
Today the little guy is 3 days old and still eating and a fast little booger. I try to give him his own additional time with mom.

Elbee10

Reaction score
3 days in comparison with his siblings. He is always the one moving around so he is blurry. Not listless at all.

Attachments

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The fact that he is really active and eating well is a good sign. I had a runt that was more than half the size of her siblings at 8 weeks old. She caught up in size and at 6 years old now she isn't any smaller than her siblings. In fact she is bigger than some of them.

Elbee10

Reaction score
The fact that he is really active and eating well is a good sign. I had a runt that was more than half the size of her siblings at 8 weeks old. She caught up in size and at 6 years old now she isn't any smaller than her siblings. In fact she is bigger than some of them.
Thank you!

majorv

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea to give him extra feeding time...he isn’t filling out like the other two so every little bit will help him!

Jess broadman

Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell without seeing the others, hope he hangs in there and bulks up a bit in the next week.

Is there any updates today? I've been thinking about this little guy since I saw your post!

Elbee10

Reaction score
He is getting thinner still, he is active and not listless. I give him extra time with mom who isn’t so excited to feed outside her schedule and I have been hand feeding.

SableSteel

Reaction score
He is very much a peanut
The small, pointed and far set back ears, along with underdeveloped hindquarters, is a classic indicators of that.

Elbee10

Reaction score
He is very much a peanut
The small, pointed and far set back ears, along with underdeveloped hindquarters, is a classic indicators of that.
Thank you. Each day I see more peanut features as he seems to be withering away. :( not sure what to do as I know he is suffering.

CharlieRae

Reaction score
From your pictures in the thread, it looks like a peanut, the odd hind end is a sign of a peanut & it's ears are not quite normal. Poor little guy. Sorry you have to deal with such an unfortunate little baby. The tiny fighters seem to be the ones we love the most. :-(

Latest posts