pasturella vs my rabbits...round two

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starseed

Reaction score
so some time last year, one of my rabbits (Thor)got pasturella. he got some meds, and got better, no biggie.

a few months ago, he got it again. slowly lost weight (but had a good appetite), but he was reasonably active. he was on one antibiotic, it wasn't working, so we switched to another, i forget the type, i've never heard of it i dont think. but it was a month long course. he's a couple weeks in now, and he seems to be gaining weight again. yay!

very unfortunately however, a couple weeks ago my sister's oldest rabbit Thumper (she was 5, so naturally :p) came down with it as well...he's 8 years old, and has been a hutch and yard bunny his whole life. the doctor gave him the same meds he gave Thor, but at twice the dosage for a shorter time span. Something about how it was progressing rapidly...now it's in his lungs, and tonight he just seems...like he's on the verge. i sat with him for a while, and he seems to have lost the luster in his eyes... so think a happy thought for mine and my sister's bunnies...

:X

Oh no! I hope they both pull through!

Just wondering, did your vet ever do a culture to find out exactly what species of bacteria it is? There's different species that can cause "pasteurella" symptoms. Pasteurella is just one of the more common ones. But once your vet knows exactly which bacteria it is, he can prescribe the most effective antibiotic. Anyway, I don't know your rabbits' health history so this may already have been done.

*vibes and hugs*

actually i'm beginning to think the vet my mom is taking them to doesn't know jack...i'm going to get a hold of my old vet (who is "too far" for my mom to take them) and see what he thinks,because i would think that's a good idea....

Latest posts

Back