Partial to mostly blind and loss of litter habits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
Well,

Snuff had one cataract, noticed a tiny litterbox slip ups here and there. Now he has two cataracts:(. Poor thing, we know. But, has anyone seen, researched blind buns and incontence at all? I've not seen/heard of it. But, Snuff seems to have either that or just laziness, which I just can't see giving yourself urine scald for no reason...Which makes me think...uti, but he's eating great! I have noticed he seems thinner, no muscle...What should I think? Do? He's a happy bun and eats a ton! We had to redo his cage tonight. Need thoughts on this:

Okay, so, been peeing out of litterbox, I've been cleaning up w/ vinegar. Put pee wipe ups in pan, always put poos in pan. But, we actually forgot to save some poos tonight, and he went in his ltter! We also went back to YN tonight, think that the Pine stuff may could have contributed to his incontenence...so confused right now... any thoughts are welcome! What is his deal?? :? I realize we will have some issues w/ litterbox as he can't see very well, but he knows where it is, and it has lately been peeing along his hidey house, I cut part of it off months ago that got wet, he kept going there...So that's the tad of background on him..he's lately making litterboxes everywhere, ugh..:(

Thank you to anyone that might have any insight:). Hubby seems to know him better than me, and yeah, it's cute. We're just so concerned as to why he's peeing everywhere now...I'll let ya'll know if using the old litter stops it..;)

Oh! I forgot to add, cuz this is so crazy that tonight after we moved his hidey house and cleaned/flipped his flooring. He jumped and clamped onto the NIC!:shock::shock: He looked like a Koala:shock:

Hi Crystal,

As you know my Cassidy has cateracts in both eyes...he knows where everything is and he knows where the litter box is but he never seems to use it much..he would much prefer to wee in the hay box which he shares with Ebony..which i have to change all the time...he has done it for quite a while now...i mean he does use his litter box as well just not as much as the hay box.....for a bunny who cannot see he is still pretty good with his litter habbits even though it might not be in the right place all the time.

I know this doesn't really answer your question though..maybe something else is going on with him.

No! Actually, Cheryl, that helps alot! So, at least I can relate it so his condition...ahah. If I so may...and I do. We sort of think, he needs a light at night...not sure that's the case. I personally think he's become lazy.

Your take?:D

Gotta love these little guys, I love him so much it's crazyeee. Haha. Cute little booger...

cheryl wrote:
Hi Crystal,

As you know my Cassidy has cateracts in both eyes...he knows where everything is and he knows where the litter box is but he never seems to use it much..he would much prefer to wee in the hay box which he shares with Ebony..which i have to change all the time...he has done it for quite a while now...i mean he does use his litter box as well just not as much as the hay box.....for a bunny who cannot see he is still pretty good with his litter habbits even though it might not be in the right place all the time.

I know this doesn't really answer your question though..maybe something else is going on with him.
May I also ask, do you approach and let Cass know you're there? I'm sure you do, but what have you done that works best? I use my nails and make a song, he comes over when he's not in a mood and let's me give him some love...:biggrin: I do this when I feed him and he's the sweetest thing...precious, he gets many head kisses, :biggrin:. I think he's even cute w/ the cataracts.

We mixed the litters, cuz the "generic" yesterday's news wasn't cutting it, ugh.

Anywho, he dug some out, I'm told by Daddy, but he hid it so I didn't see it, lol.

But, he pooed everwhere in front of his door earlier!! He's leaving piles of poo at his door of his cage... It's like "Really??" you're gonna make a mess after I just cleaned? Ugh. This is so confusing, poor bunner...:(:wink We even put the napkin in the pan when we clean up his whoopsies and he totally takes it and throws it out, haha. Anywho, I don't know what his problem is at all...:huh I've used vinegar to clean, we even flipped the darn flooring and I wiped it down...Still doing it! I just don't get it...ugh. anyone? I would think if there was a medical reason for this, I'd see something?:tantrum::pullhair:

He's being a major Slob Kabob.:rollseyes

Aww my poor Snuff :( You need to post more pictures of him, I haven't had my Snuffles fix in like 2 years!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Aww my poor Snuff :( You need to post more pictures of him, I haven't had my Snuffles fix in like 2 years!
I know, I'll get my new batteries for my camera and I'll post some, but be leary, his eyes are white!;):( We just still love him. He needs to pick up his litter habits, they're bad now, bad baby bunny,:p

I recently adopted Bono who has a cataract in one eye and an ulcer in the other. I'm treating him for the ulcer. Bono does well with his box. I make sure I put it in the same spot for his use. He does share it with Ruby who I also recently adopted. She is also special needs. Ruby has nerve damage and slight head tilt. They are the cleanest rabbits in the house.

Poor Snuff,i just don't know what his problem could be...my Cassidy is pretty goodexcept for him weeing in the hay box.

I think you may be right that's he's just gotten lazy or like i mentioned to you in pm he might be confused maybe?...

Anyway just see how he goes as time goes by and he might pick up his litter habbits again....cause i remember when Cassidy first started developing cateracts..both of his eyes were developing them at the same time....i noticed he started to get a little confused with things...boy i felt so bad for him...same thing happened to my Lulu when she was alive and she had cateracts in both eyes...but she eventually got used to a new way of living and so did Cassidy...he's a smart lil bun and he knows it too.

Cheryl, I would feel worse than I do, but he knows where his box is, he gets in it to drink water and nibble on his lovely carrot salt like that he loves so much. Which is why I just don't see any other reason other than plain laziness.:expressionless:( He peed again today in the middle of his cage and left a pile too...:grumpy:

Thank you for all your help! Nice to know that the cataracts are not likely the actual cause. Poor bunny.

EC can cause cataracts and lesions that effect the kidneys. However it could also be two unrelated conditions - a coincidence. The accidents cause be caused by a urine infection and totally unrelated to the cataracts. Weightloss could actually be muscle loss in the hindquarters and linked to an issue with bladder control or mobility issues effecting litter tray use.

What investigation has your vet done so far? There are lots of thing to rule in/out but an examine would be a good start.

tamsin wrote:
EC can cause cataracts and lesions that effect the kidneys. However it could also be two unrelated conditions - a coincidence. The accidents cause be caused by a urine infection and totally unrelated to the cataracts. Weightloss could actually be muscle loss in the hindquarters and linked to an issue with bladder control or mobility issues effecting litter tray use.

What investigation has your vet done so far? There are lots of thing to rule in/out but an examine would be a good start.

Thank You! My vet has done nothing! Not thinking Ec, so that's why. That's what I don't get, I don't know what to do...As far as even seeking meds. Was thinking of lining his cage w/ newspaper and see how that does. I could be over thinking the weight, but I dont think so, he was meatier before...But, there's nothing else...Just the loss of litter habits...

I would like to interview a new vet...

He eats well and normal and outputs normal, so I think he's just a lazy little bunner?!:pray::p

It definitely sounds like something is going on. Like you said you don't cause urine scold just because you are lazy. Definitely try a new vet. They should examine him and tell you whether it is muscle of fat loss, whether there are any mobility issues or pain in the bladder area. The can also test the urine to rule out infection etc., painkillers can be tried in case it's pain is effecting mobility eg arthritis. There is plenty your vet should be doing to get to the bottom of it.

I would try towels with newspaper underneath to soak up the urine, also use a damp cloth a couple of times a day on him to wash the urine off to stop it getting sore and apply Vaseline as a barrier.

Think I'll move this back to Infimary...

Tamsin, I had to give him a butt bath tonight! I picked him up to love on him and he was matted and damp...:expressionless Poor baby. You should have seen the water in the sink! Eww. The bad thing is that it seems the scald is getting to his left inner leg. Still fur, but for how long? I can't believe this from him. Thank you for your insight!:D

He's eating well! Producing well. What could be the problem? UTI? Wouldn't he quit eating and being normal if he was 'in pain'????:(

Another bath was needed earlier this evening, as his butt was wett. Went outside w/ him in a towel. Checked him over, back of his hind legs is a bald strip of no fur. Not sure if a wet bun looks that way or it's scald. The skin is white, so I think we're good on that, yes! I think I took care of it ahead of being scalded. He's doing good now, thank the Lord.:)

Also want to mention, he peed on the picnic table tonight and I got a great look at it looks very normal, so I don't think UTI or anything.

As you probably know, rabbits hide pain well so it won't necessarily show in eating habits.

I would treat for EC as a precaution on the grounds its cheap, easy and won't do any harm. It's basically just a long course of pancur which is usually used as a wormer - someone in the US might need to give you the US version of the name/dose as it's probably different to me in the UK.

It sounds like you are keeping on top of the potential skin issue. Cleaning it regularly and putting on Vaseline as a skin barrier will really help keep him comfortable. If it deteriorates later you might find keeping the fur short to aid washing/drying will help.

Any luck finding another vet? It really needs hands on to make a diagnosis/rule things out. They'd need to send a sample away to rule out a UTI 100%.

I can rule out UTI I think, the poor thing peed on the picnic table last night and I got a great look at it, looked good! As good as pee can look, lol. So, today, he's been dry and using his box!:D I still really think it's lazyness, but who can rule out EC or incontinence? You have to walk all boulevards.

Latest posts

Back