Parents want me to rehome my bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get a regular plastic storage box for a litter box, you won't need to worry about the guards. The link I offered before can be accessed by clicking on it. It will show you the size and type of litter box you can get. The wal-mart type storage boxes are cheap and easy to get.

It is a useless litter tray that should be avoided. Corner boxes are not ideal and don't provide enough space. Please, please, check the link I provided to see the best way to set up a litter box.

The cage you have is not good because the whole floor is covered in wire mesh. Those are not good for rabbits or their paws. But until you can update your cage, a large litter box that takes up half of your cage will allow bunny to get a break from the wire floor. The large box will also encourage him to hop in and use it which will make training easier for you.

IMG_4209.jpg

Your indoor cage should be that size and that’s the smallest size if they aren’t free roaming. Free roaming rabbit can have smaller cages as a home base.

The litter box should be as big as a normal cat litter box.

My indoor cage, won’t let my bunnies play or binky in it except for my small bunny but he’s weight 700 grams and overweight. So my indoor cage can let him play in it but not for a normal size bunny.

Because you live in USA I would recommend you to build a cc cage. For an indoor cage instead, it will be cheaper and you can give your bun more space.

If you can’t provide a bigger cage or let your bun free roaming. Maybe you should consider letting your bun find another home. So it can get everything a bunny need.

View attachment 41262

Your indoor cage should be that size and that’s the smallest size if they aren’t free roaming. Free roaming rabbit can have smaller cages as a home base.

The litter box should be as big as a normal cat litter box. Myself use recycled paper pellets and it reduces order quite well as long it’s not my giant bunny going. You only need to have a news paper in the bottom, paper pellets on top and hay. Best to conceal the urine odor.

Also cleaning the litter box every other day will help, I only clean my litter box once every week. But the optimal would be twice, to not have any smells in the room.

My indoor cage, won’t let my bunnies play or binky in it except for my small bunny but he’s weight 700 grams and overweight. So my indoor cage can let him play in it but not for a normal size bunny.

Because you live in USA I would recommend you to build a cc cage. For an indoor cage instead, it will be cheaper and you can give your bun more space.

If you can’t provide a bigger cage or let your bun free roaming. Maybe you should consider letting your bun find another home. So it can get everything a bunny need.

For litter, I use stove fuel pellets that I buy at Menards. They are about the same thing as stall pellets (compressed sawdust pellets) and are easy to find. They work well for absorbing the smell. My netherland dwarf had very smelly poop when I got him. He was on alfalfa pellets. I switched him to timothy pellets, and it made a huge difference with the smell. Your rabbit might be developing a sensitivity to alfalfa.

Hello, If the problem is smell try using a cat litter box and to the bottom of it try putting puppy pads then filling it with litter then hay. I don't think you need anything else ,such as the bowls and stuff in the litter box. Also clean it. Wash the area often as well. The training pads make it easier for cleaning up daily, but on occasions you will need to scrub it down. The pan you already have is a little too small for the size of your rabbit. I found a really cheap litter box at Ross just the other day, I'm sure you can find one anywhere (Even the dollar store). You just need a good container that's big enough. I don't recommend getting rabbit supplies from the pet store(Cages and Litter boxes). If your mom is the one having the problem, you clean it yourself and show her that you can handle keeping up after the pet. Before she even enters the room to clean it you should make sure it's already done.

Please please please get your bunny a more suitable living situation. I am not trying to put you down by any means but rabbits are incredibly smart and curious animals. They NEED to get plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. Imagine sitting in a tiny cage for hours on end, unable to fully stand up or hop more than 2-3 times at best. Your bun cannot binky or carry out natural rabbit behaviors in there. I imagine your rabbit probably feels pretty bored in that cage as well. Since he/she is a single bunny, what does your bun typically do in a day to combat boredom? I am guessing that free roaming your rabbit in your room is not an option because you live with parents? Honestly I would begin litter training your bunny and gradually start free roaming your bun without mentioning that little detail to your parents, that way by the time they notice your bunny is free roaming it's already got litter habits down and they will not be able to find very many reasons as to why your rabbit can't free roam in your room. Again this is meant to be constructive criticism, I only want what's best for you and your lovely bunny!

When she urinates on something that she isn't suppose to try to soak it up with a paper towel and put it in her litter box then spray the area she urinated with a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar so she doesn't smell it anymore. But DO NOT use it on her litter box or all of your work would have gone to waste. And you don't need her pellets in the litterbox only the hay(even though this is an old ish post)

The only reason they should be in a small cage like that is if they’re recovering from a surgery. 2 of my rabbits are free roam right now but the 3rd is in a slightly larger recovering from on going medical issues and surgeries. She still gets some exercise but it has to be closely watched so she doesn't pull out her stitching.

Hello, it has been 2 months . Newworld191... how the litter training going ??
For my rabbit, I bought a corner litter big enough for him to do a 360 turn and put hay in it. After the first day he was successfully trained ( The litter must be comfortable and big enough and then the rabbit to use it). After the first day, I left the rabbit cage open 24/7. He jumps in the cage when he needs to use bathroom. Maybe you don’t have to buy an new cage but can make the litter more comfortable and leave door open once he’s fully trained .

Last edited:
Firstly, see if you can build your rabbit a larger enclosure or go into a Petco and get some cat fleece mats and cover the wire. It isn't quite suitable or comfortable for your rabbit to be on the wire and it will not help in litter training your rabbit. In order to litter train her, you need to get a larger accommodation and a very good litterbox. I highly recommend the WARE Jumbo Lock N Litterpan. It comes in two varieties Scaterless and normal. For you I would recommend the scatterless variety which comes with a wire over the litter, therefore less poop may stick to your rabbit causing less smell. It's also really easy to clean. It's available in some pet stores as well as amazon. I use a cheap and good quality litter called ExquisiCat Naturals Paper Cat litter (FRAGRANCE-FREE). Don't get pine litter or scented litter or clumping litter, just get this one. It used to have an old design and was not super dust-free, but now it's 99.9% dust free and has a sleek and modern design. You can find it at Petsmart but it is usually hidden away in the back so ask a worker if you can't find it. And lastly, create a Plan B and have an idea of somewhere for your rabbit to go if worse comes to worst such as a friends house or relatives place maybe even a neighbor so you can visit often. But if I am completely honest the enclosure and rabbit care you are giving your rabbit aren't suitable and maybe it would be for the better if your rabbit was rehomed somewhere where she can jump free and have fun. I hope this helps, good luck with your bunny, and best wishes!

Latest posts

Back