Parents getting divorced and I have bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So I recently found out my parents are getting divorced πŸ˜’πŸ˜“. I am going to be living in both houses which means I’ll probably have to do something with the bunnies. I am just wondering if any of you guys have advice for making it less stressful for my bunnies and just tips on making it work. So far I’ve been thinking about having a bunny proofed room in each house and just moving the bunnies between the houses with me which could be more stressful for them and me so does anyone have any advice or tips to make it less stressful for the both of us? Thanks.

My mom said it would probably be every 5 days or something but we’re not really sure yet.

Are you going to be switching between your mom and your dad
weekly, weekly moves would be stressful

Monthly moves would probally be better as you don’t have to move them as much

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong🧑

Last edited:
Well I will be switching between my mom and dad and my mom said that I will probably be every 5 days that I switch houses.

But I was thinking that maybe I could just have a bunny proofed room at each house and have some supplies at each house and just have to bring the bunnies, their litter boxes and maybe some toys when we switch houses so their set up will already be there.

It would probably be best for your buns to stay at the most responsible parents house and for u to visit every 5 days

But you might be able to take your bunnys with you if your parents houses would be close to each other (like 5 minutes) πŸ’›

The first time you take them to the new house might be a little stressful, but if you bring a few things with you that they are used to and has their smell on it, that will help. With you there, I'm sure they will adapt to the change fine.

The first few times I would suggest just keeping an eye on their eating, drinking, and pooping, to make sure they continue to eat and poop normally. And also spend some time with them when you first get there, to help them feel more secure in their new surroundings.

Bunnies easily adapt, as long you follow jBun advice your bunny will get used with the moving.

Both my boys settle down fast when we move around and don’t get stressed. They will still be as relaxed and can find the new area to be something fun. The one that jumped around most was Odin. Because he was with me when I didn’t live at home. So I jumped a lot between places I lived at (6 different places) and he also followed when I visited my parents.

I'm sorry your parents are splitting up, that's really tough and I'm sure there are a lot of things you're worried about right now, rabbits and beyond. I hope you have someone you feel comfortable talking to who can help you work everything out.
As for the bunnies, I don't think weekly location transfers will be too big of an issue. Willa and I used to move locations a lot, traveling between my home town, my new home, and the home of my significant other. Once she got used to it, I think Willa learned to enjoy the change of scenery and seeing the people she missed. I would let her ride shotgun in the car and she would always be thrilled to cuddle my sister or ex, then explore her "bedroom" to be sure everything was just right. Foxwell enjoyed the trips too once I adopted him, although he's a little more anxious in general and had to learn to be comfortable. Bring toys they enjoy between locations and be sure to give them a little extra love. Extra bunny affection will probably be good for you too, no one understands like a rabbit.

I'm sorry your parents are splitting up, that's really tough and I'm sure there are a lot of things you're worried about right now, rabbits and beyond. I hope you have someone you feel comfortable talking to who can help you work everything out.
As for the bunnies, I don't think weekly location transfers will be too big of an issue. Willa and I used to move locations a lot, traveling between my home town, my new home, and the home of my significant other. Once she got used to it, I think Willa learned to enjoy the change of scenery and seeing the people she missed. I would let her ride shotgun in the car and she would always be thrilled to cuddle my sister or ex, then explore her "bedroom" to be sure everything was just right. Foxwell enjoyed the trips too once I adopted him, although he's a little more anxious in general and had to learn to be comfortable. Bring toys they enjoy between locations and be sure to give them a little extra love. Extra bunny affection will probably be good for you too, no one understands like a rabbit.
Thank you so much, you guys are all really a big help. I do have some toys that the buns enjoy a lot and I think it will be good for me to have them. I already have a lot of anxiety and it really helps to just spend time with them. I would prefer to bring them with me as they help with my anxiety, especially Skylar since she’s less timid and will let me pet and hold her. I will be bringing some of their toys and their litter boxes from each location and my parents are planning on staying near each other so me and my little brother can still go to the same school. I really hope the bunnies don’t get too stressed. I know that Hermione gets a little scared on car rides but her having Skylar really helps and Skylar isn’t as scared. Thank you all for all of your advice and if you have anything else you would like to mention about it, it would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back