Paranoid Question About Rabbit Death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
My 2 bunnies, Koga(died in 2009) and Mr. Bun Bun(died like 2 weeks ago) died in the same fashion - a convulsion and screaming then dead - or were they permanently dead?

Well, here's a crazy question: Could the bunnies of waken up afterwards? I have a stethoscope, and about 10-15 minutes after Mr. Bun Bun died, I made sure to listen to his body JUST in case I hear a heat beat or any breathing. I didn't hear anything, so I was sure he was gone.
My Mom tightly wrapped him up in his baby blanket and put him in the shed(we couldn't bury him right at that moment cause it was so late at night).

I didn't want to wrap him up just in case he started coming to. He would suffocate if that was possible! And what if he suddenly woke up? He would of been trapped in the blanket!

When Koga died, my parents demanded that he be put in a trash bag till the next day when we buried him. But behind their backs, I tore a large hole in the bag just in case he starts breathing again.

I know it's a weird question, but is it possible?

it's not very likly that they woke up again. the screaming and convulsions are pretty typical with any animals death. it's just the body's reaction to shutting down. there are often convulsions or muscle twitches even after death for a period. an easy, but kinda gruesome way of knowing for sure is how their bodies are. animals especially small animals will start rigamortis (their bodies will get hard) within minutes after death so very shortly after death you will know for sure.

I guess I'd agree-shawnwk1 is right. It is a sad thought- and I think many people think this way. Sometimes its just so painful when you lose a pet, and hard to believe they're actually gone. You really want the hold on to that hope that *somehow* they're still alive. If they aren't breathing and their body doesn't stay warm, and their heart isn't beating I'd doubt they'll come back and start up again.
On a side note: I"m really sorry about your bunnies. I lost one of my 2 years back and one this year and it is a really hard thing to work through.

no problem. sorry about your loss i know it's hard and will take some time before you're able to accept he's gone (i don't think we're ever really okay again after a great loss, but more so we just kinda learn to accept it even though the pain will always be there), but know he's in a happy place at the rainbow bridge waiting for you and watching over you until you can be reunited for eternity. kinda morbid i know, but it always helps me to know that they are happy, healthy again, not in any pain, and waiting for us.

Screaming and convulsions are NOT typical when it comes to death.
They are most likely related to whatever caused the animals to die, like throwing a clot somehwere.
Bunnys only scream if they are in severe pain or are afraid for their lives.

Muscle twitches can happen but not as far as calling them convulsions. Typically when an animal dies its actually quite a calm process as the body shuts down, sometimes a hypoxic seizure is noticed but there wouldnt be screaming involved with that.

If you were to listen to their chest and not hear anything, then its pretty safe to assume the animal has passed.

Another excellent way to ensure the animal wont be coming back is to test their cornial reflex. Just touch their eyeball. Even a sleeping/unconcious animal will have a reaction/reflex if you touch the eyeball itself, but a dead animal, or person, will have no movement or reflex reaction when you touch the eyeball.

I've always had the same thoughts about my 2 bunnies that passed. One of the tips a vet gave me was about the eyeball (comment before mine) I was also told to put a mirror in front of my bunny's nostril and check if there was any steam, etc.
It's hard to believe that the bunnies pass because they are full of life and energy and suddenly they die.
My bunnies had the convulsion (not for long at all) and soon passed, but they didn't scream.
I'm sorry about your bunnies...
And I like your idea.. leave a hole, just in case the bunny comes back to life, just in case..
Who knows, right? Better safe than sorry!!

I agree, they wouldn't start breathing again, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss :( 3 of my babies have died and it's terrible. None of mine died in the same fashion as yours and I probably would have lost my mind if they had.

Latest posts

Back