Pamnock's Rabbit: Heart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Greetings Pam, Dear Heart,

A couple of things/notes about Heart after reading what you said about the Little Love in Baby'sthread...

Why the hesitation to use systemic antibiotics? I would think with this much infection it would be adviseable.

Second...you might want to look into "fake sheepskin" ... I think you can get it at most fabric stores and possibly Walmart. It looks like sheepskin, but is synthetic and washable. It tends to draw moisture away from the body. If Heart will be good and not chew, I would do a layer of towels topped with the fake sheepskin.

Third, you might ask about metacam for pain. Like aspirin, it is anon-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID)... and though long-term use can cause GI bleeding, my impression is that it is not nearly as much of a blood-thinner as aspirin, making it safer in this situation. It can be given on an "as needed" basis or daily (or every-other-day-ly).

Know that I'm thinking and praying for you and your Heart. No one could be doing a better job than you, Pam. Heart wouldn't have had a chance without your knowledge, love, and patience. Bless your Heart and Heart too.

Much Love,
-C

Heart is such a gorgeous rabbit...

attachment.php

Pam mentioned her problems in Baby's thread, which is here:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20566&forum_id=16&jump_to=296933#p296933

I'm sure shewill appreciate this post and comment when she gets back from freezing her... fingers...off in Toronto!

sas :clover:

Thanks for the tips Carolyn. ;) I was in Toronto, so didn't get a chance to repsond to your emails yet.

At this point, the infection is under control.BecauseHeart moves around rather well, eats well, and is alert, we're no longerusing any pain meds. This is a chronic condition, so anything we started would be long term and may have side effects. We want to avoid any possible upset to her GI system since she's doing so well. Her left foot that she was dragging behind her (the situation that I was extremely concerned about) has improved and she holding it at a nearly normal angle now.

She is a little booger about the gauze and will chew it as well as any cloth. She leaves the vet wrap alone. We have to be especially careful not to wrap too tight. The vet wrap works well because it breathes, is water resistant, does not bind and she doesn't chew it ;) I provide padding underneath it with gauze.

I've also done research in human treatment for this condition. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done except for keeping the wounds clean and packed. It's often better for the area to stay open to allow air exposure and drainage.

At this point, as the vet recommended, we're sticking with conservative therapy unless she takes a turn for the worse.

Pam

Thanks for letting me know she was away, Pipp!

I'm so glad to hear that your baby girl is doing better, Pam.She fights so hard, I would imagine, out of just not wanting to be anywhere other than in yours and Matthew's care. She's so lucky to have you.

I completely understand why you're choosing the path you are with regards to the meds. Poor little pumpkin.How was she when you were away? Did she cause it any more trouble?

By the way, I hope you had fun in Canada!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back